Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NAMBA SAW Time-Trial - November 8th, 9th & 10th at Legg Lake!

Fluid, I'm really sorry for what happened to your boat. Yours too Darin for that matter.
    Fluid, I was fixated on the boat as well. I was fascinated at how it was running so smooth and stable, and watched it stuff into the jungle.

I was a fan of that whole project, look forward to seeing the sequal. Great seeing you down there as well as Everyone else.

20131108_123345.jpg

Here's a "Glam shot" of you Mr.Fluid and that beauty "THE LA WOMAN" !!

Wow ! I'm still playing catch-up to the chores left behind and have many vid's to sort through & upload. Soon ! Those who have attended these events know with knowingness the afterglow coming from renewing and solidifying friendships and the tightening of the bonds that keep SAW devotees hooked on this insanity. Just to hang out and rub elbows with the likes of Jay, Brian, Darin and Wilmer and meet guys like Manuel and Marco (who both came from Europe) is a remarkable gift and graduate-level learning experience. Mark and Kim Grim with Tyler's able assistance kept the flow (and culinary delights) moving seamlessly - much praise to them. The SoCal FE guys, notably Mark F, Boyd, and Brian N. well represented the home turf. Cameo appearances from the SoCal FE bunch included Tim(Tlandauer) who for two days pitted for me, Stephen(Chiefy_44)Jan(UBHauled), TheShaunessy, Naveed, Brad and a nice visit from the HansenDam Violators up north - Adam(blownover) and friend.(probably forgot somebody/sorry).

I picked up the P-Ltd Cat record which was open (and one mph slower than the retired P-Ltd Offshore record I last set). I bumped my P-Ltd Mono record by @ 1mph. Both records with one of Brians "magic props". I was somewhat hampered by having to use year-old packs as my battery budget was pre-empted two days before the race when my car went poof and needed a $763 repair or I'd be walking to the race.

I'll have vids up once I sort & upload.

Some random pix

100_0180.jpg

100_0191.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0214.jpg

100_0217.jpg
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Default more pix

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    That is a fantastic pic, Tony! I love it!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Default My Favorite !

Well done fellas!!!
    Congratulations!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I kept searching for the gas/nitro records on the other boards...you mean to tell me the records were 100% FE? Man, that's fantastic. Impressive, too. Look at how well the T180 controllers are doing.

Thanks for your contributions, guys, and sorry about the lost equipment. I know it's expected...but it still sucks. The sacrifices you make and the time you take to attain these kinds of speeds is remarkable!

I read something about some 109+ mph passes in a gas rigger at Legg. Don't know if it was a record though.

Awesome numbers guys. Congrats to everyone for their efforts. Condolences to those that broke and burnt stuff up. Most SAW video's show the good runs. They don't show the numerous failed attempts and the hours of work that goes into these boats before and during an event. It ain't as easy as it looks folks. But even those that don't meet their goals come away from these events more knowledgeable and determined. In the end, everyone is a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by B Neal View Post
    Thanks for the results Tyler, and the amount of time put into running the program.

You could have added the fact your Sunday after the race dinner tasted better than mine by 0.2mph ��
    Thanks Brian, didn't want to rub it in considering it cost me a lot more lost hardware than you this time.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Well I am finally back to some sense of normal again after another SAW event at Legg lake.

We had excellent weather all three days with good water at least several hours per day in the morning and late afternoon. The wind picked up a little in the middle of the day as usual, but this did not stop the T catamaran guys from running. Kim's lunchtime extravaganza was excellent and it was great to meet some new drivers as well as some returning racers.

It was definitely a Cat showdown with Boyd, Brian Neal, Marko from Berlin and Manuel from Austria showing up with armadas of twin powered cat's.

My performance was a bit lack luster and fell short of my expectations. Finally after several years and five iterations of the FE SAW rigger I was confident I had a set-up to approach and surpass the elusive 140mph mark set by Joerg almost 10 years ago. I built two new boats, one for Q and the other for T both with similar power systems, albeit set for the appropriate battery voltage.

DSC_8637.jpg

On Friday morning I set-up the Q hydro with a reasonable prop and fresh Dinogy 6S 5Ah battery and started to make a pass. As I hit the ~100mph mark the rudder broke sending the boat in a violent spin and tumble that totaled the boat. The battery mass caused major structural damaged as it ejected from the tub as well as breaking one of the new sponsons Brian was nice enough to build for me. Luckily the motor and ESC as well as the rest of the tub floated and I was able to salvage most of the parts. The impact was so severe it bent the 3/16" aluminum motor mount, bent the strut, stub shaft and fractured the tub at every bulkhead. This was not a good start to the weekend. Here is a pic of the Q hydro before it crashed.

DSC_8610.jpg

So I pulled all the electronics out and soaked then in WD40 while I prepared the T hydro. Since my new set of slippery sponsons were toast, I used a one of the several pairs I built up from foam core and birch ply. The T system had the advantage of 7k RPM more over the Q system. My goal was to find the right prop on the Q boat and then put that prop on the T hydro and go for it. Well I ended up having to start small with the T hydro and move up. The T hydro showed real promise and initially we were clocking speeds around 120mph. The motor and ESC were not breaking a sweat at all so the next step was bumping up the prop size. Here is when the problems started. With the higher RPM of the T power system I was loosing blades during the acceleration and once a single blade broke the imbalance snapped off the stub shaft right at the strut. I was prepared with 8 additional wire drives with bonded stub shafts, but run after run ended with the prop breaking and snapping or bending the stub shaft. Some shaft failures were strong enough to completely blow out the strut. It was replaced twice over the course of the weekend.

Eventually I ran out of wire drives and had prepared two flex shafts are back-ups. The first flex cable caused a very rare unforeseen failure. With the wire drives the freeplay was set-up to a minimum so the drive dog transferred the thrust to the strut directly, however with the flex cable I had to leave a generous 1/4" gap to allow wind up. On the first pass with the flex cable under acceleration the prop broke and the sudden and near instantaneous removal of torque and thrust caused the flex cable to unwind and literally shotgun the motor with axial force. The force was great enough to split the motor axially from the front end bell to the can. Needless to say this caused some motor damage and I was done with the T hydro. My frustration was knowing the T hydro easily had the potential to go beyond 140mph if a driveline and prop would have stayed in one piece. I made several passes at 133, 134 and a personal best of 135mph. Next time we'll be ready with stainless or CrCo props cable of handing the high RPM and forces.

It was great seeing everyone and meeting Manuel Wenny and Marko from Austria and Germany respectively. They were in attendance with Brian Neal who showed up with a fleet of HPR cats. Here is a pic of Brian and his fleet. The HPR he is holding was the one he set the T catamaran record with.

gallery_4990_1619_83507.jpg

Here are some other pics of the competitors and their boats:

Brian Buaas and his P Hydro Raptor. Brian had built a beautiful sister boat to this one that was claimed by the lake.

gallery_4990_1619_848685.jpg

Darin Jordan and his M2 hydro. A sweet running one cell rigger which he managed to coax a 71mph pass out of.

gallery_4990_1619_787675.jpg
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Here is Mr. ProperChopper Tony Heller showing off his P-Ltd entries. Many thanks to Tony for all his efforts to prep for the event and help out. A great FE ambassador.

gallery_4990_1619_1034443.jpg

Mr. Manuel Wenny who had been building boats all week prior to the event here showing his very capable Q catamaran. Manuel would have won the award for most flat spins. He make a dozen 100mph passes with this boat and crashed at least as many times with no damage to the hull or hardware with the exception of several bent rudders and props.

gallery_4990_1619_906742.jpg

Mr. Dinogy Mark Ferreira with his DF39 T mono. Mark had driveline issues that sidelined him from making good passes.

gallery_4990_1619_763644.jpg

The Marlboro Man Boyd Marshall and his Q Catamaran I believe. Boyd had a fleet of Marlboro themed cats from N2 up to T with a cat for each class.

gallery_4990_1619_75577.jpg

Marko from Berlin showing off his AMG HPR T catamaran. This boat was brand new when it arrived state side and over the course of the weekend he consistently improved upon his speeds up to 120mph I believe.

gallery_4990_1619_159153.jpg
    Last edited by RaceMechaniX; 11-15-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Hollywood Bill Oxidean showing off his N1 or M2 mono. Bill pushes the limits on the smaller N1 and M2 boats.

gallery_4990_1619_964771.jpg

Tim Smith from MaxAmps came out for the first time and ran a M2 or N1 mono through the lights.

gallery_4990_1619_307767.jpg

A view of the pits on Sunday afternoon as witching hour approaches. Marko is up on the bench driving his HPR.

gallery_4990_1619_192857.jpg

Brian Neal with his record setting T catamaran.

gallery_4990_1619_135289.jpg

Thanks to the Grims and all who contributed to making this a great event. A lot of work goes into preparing for these events and it capped off with bench racing when we all have dinner on Sunday night and brag about how we are going to do better next year and the side bets start. No matter how many boats were lost, props were bent or batteries that were ejected you cannot replace the camaraderie that this groups of racers have.

See you guys in the new year with new boats and much stronger props.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Darin Jordan and his M2 hydro. A sweet running one cell rigger which he managed to coax a 71mph pass out of.

gallery_4990_1619_787675.jpg
    Thanks for the pics, Tyler... Slight correction... it was a high 72mph pass, backed up with a low 71... just a tick or so off the record, I believe..., with several 70 and 71's thrown in throughout the afternoon...

You are absolutely right about the Sunday dinner conversation, however... Alreading prepping to try to achieve the higher sights I've set for the next round!! Can't WAIT!

For those waiting for videos, I just sorted out what I had. I chose 38 that are view-worthy from many that didn't get going. They're divided by complete runs and those ending in airborne ballet. It will take days to upload all 38, so hang tight.

I just had to see this right away : Manuel demonstrating his rare and highly elegant European "Whirling Dervish" Horizontal Dismount :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI9iR8d3Wyo

Tyler
    Awesome write up as usual, pics are awesome.

Can't wait for the next bench race dinner, hoping to order desert this time

My weekend was fantastic after only running two of my six boats prior to the event and only one set of batteries and small props in the circle course area. Then taking the aqua marine boat out on its first run Friday AM and posting a 135+ and a 129+ backup was simply amazing. The other HPR135 that I ran also posted speeds over 130mph, never ran the third 135, will use that one next time for free food :)

Never flip or crashed accelerating or at speed, only time needed to retrieve the boats were due to the slow speed knife edge roll over turn.

All weekend long i never had to replace a single part except a couple rudder blades, matter of fact never lost a bolt nut or washer in the lake or grass.

Never had a weekend like this in 39 years doing this drug habit of mine.

Thanks to MG, KG, BB, and TG for all the work in putting up with all of us.

Got a give Tony a shout out, greatest pit neighbor ever.

Brian Neal

Quote Originally Posted by B Neal View Post
    Got a give Tony a shout out, greatest pit neighbor ever.

Brian Neal
    I have to second Brian's sentiments here. Tony made his way down to our pits regularly. Don't think it would be the same event without him there!

Thanks all you do, Bud!

This was one of the best events I’ve attended, with great weather conditions, awesome food from “Kim’s Kitchen”, great competitors and some of the fastest FE boats on the planet. The Catamaran fleet was out in force…. between Brian N, myself, and our new European friends we fielded over a dozen Cats in the four NAMBA dual motor classes (at least 8 of them were S and T class boats).

My personal results:
    T-Class: This was the 1st event I ran Lehner motors in my HPR 135 and all I can say is they have brutal power. Both myself and Marco (German participant basically running the same setup) hit 125 MPH in our T Cats…. but as noted above Brian won the class with a couple of absolutely perfect passes that yielded 133 MPH. IMO it’s just a matter of time until someone hits 140 MPH plus!!!!

S-Class: This was a brand new build for me with only two test passes prior to the event…. and the boat did not disappoint (although it was the most difficult of all my cats to pilot). After several prop and hardware changes I set a respectable 109.2 MPH record. Looking forward to running this boat again, and my prediction is this Cat will hit 120 MPH plus by the end of the 2014 season.

Q-Class: I converted my tried and proven H & M 37 inch Maritimo Cat to Q class this season. However, I just couldn’t put two solid passes together so I didn’t get any official times (guessing around 105-110 MPH speeds). To add insult to injury, in subsequent runs I lost the Maritimo to a controller fire. However, I was able to salvage the two motors, servo and batteries (yes Dinogy’s hold up to fire as well)!! Rebuilding soon…..

P-Class: In my mind this was one of my best efforts/Cats and one that’s very close to my heart. My goal for the past two years has been to hit over 100 MPH, and this time out I hit the goal. I fielded two P-Cats this time out; my original 1.0 version with Neu motors, and my brand new 2.0 version with Lehner motors. On the first run with my 2.0 Lehner version I hit back to back runs of 99 MPH (bad start), 101 MPH (crocked line) and 104 MPH (much better line) to set the record of 102.8 MPH.

One last comment; I’d like to give a big thanks to Chris at DASBOATA for preparing most of my props to exacting specifications. My T, S, and P Cats all used his props and I highly recommend his services to anyone that’s really serious about going fast. Also, big thanks to Mr. Dinogy Mark Ferreira for his help in the pits and his killer batteries.

Can’t wait for the next event
    Last edited by thomaslambo; 11-14-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Congrats everybody.
    Nice to read your stories also, fills the event with live for the people who were not able to join or visit :)
    WR T-Mono 108.95mph

Default Videos

This will take some time. Please hold on as I upload them onto my YouTube channel (properchopper1) for linking/posting in this thread. I'll do my best to include the better ones starting with complete runs, followed later on by the aerobatic ones. Also I'll do my best to identify the run by class and competitor but can't guarantee accuracy (sorry). For any viewer not familiar with this form of barely controlled insanity know that for every full run/record run there likely were many, many that didn't end pretty. Any questions about the runs/rigs/times can best be answered by the individual competitor. Basic setup information is in the record post #53 {posted above by Tyler}. (Also on some you may hear speeds called out by the timing station)

Here We Go :

Brian B. P-Hydro -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCuXzRCy87o

Darin J N-2 Cat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOv5HKkLjQ

Jay T Q Sport Hydro (at the bewitching hour)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2-tlHu2mg

Tyler G S-Hydro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fox99...ature=youtu.be

Marko T-Cat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgKnv...ature=youtu.be

Manuel W Q Cat - multiple passes and sticks the landing (incorrectly identified in vid as Q Hydro-oops)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUe8C...ature=youtu.be

Tony H P-Ltd Cat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CDK...ature=youtu.be

Boyd M T-Cat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2OM...ature=youtu.be

Brian N T Cat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbx_qe0Le50

More coming soon
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-15-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Tony,

That little Video cam of yours takes some decent quality video! Nicely done!! Thank you for taking the time to upload and post these!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Tony,

That little Video cam of yours takes some decent quality video! Nicely done!! Thank you for taking the time to upload and post these!!
    Thanks D !

As you know, at the race, lots of time is individually spent in our own little "bubble" focusing on our equipment so getting the "money shots" is hit or miss.

Thanks a bunch for posting Tony. By chance did you catch any of my runs with the T hydro at 130+?

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Default 2013 NAMBA SAWS Outakes

It wouldn't be fair to simply display the complete runs like in post #80 . A full reporting of what SAWS are really all about needs to show what leads up to a successful run. At the risk of ruffling the feathers of those who use the term SAW to describe their gofaster sport rigs, (with humble apologies) , I'm going to "soapbox" for a minute and offer that an actual SAW competition boat begins it's odyssey immediately after the exhaustion wears off from the LAST race. What follows is months of performing the ancient Oriental Ritual of Too-Ning. Then the TRAVEL. Darin from Washington State. Brian from Oregon. Jay from Texas. Tyler from way up the California Coast. Marko from Germany and Manuel from Austria. Days before the event the locals prep the course. Before sunup on race day the crew sets up the course installing the lights and timing table. Kim comes and sets up the gourmet kitchen. The competitors arrive, unload, set up their pits(grunt). Timing begins. Then the frustrating mid day wait until the wind/waves subside. BORING. Then more racing until the bewitching hour at dark. Then tear it all down(GRUNT), load up(OUCH), go home & collapse in bed (I have a 70 mile round trip). Then the SAME for two more days. Equipment failures, toasted electronics, boats lost to Davy Jones, finding the center island at full chat and destroying good boats, and oh the blowovers ! A true SAW devotee is certifiably crazy but we keep coming back. I do primarily for the camaraderie and cooking.

Here's some runs that demonstrate what normally preceeds a successful two-way pass. I'd guess that there's maybe a half-dozen of these for every good run - enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHAHz-8eq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSvZZ...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gG0y...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_GS...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI9iR8d3Wyo

From a previous SAW, but one of the "best" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nkk_AWdfI
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-15-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    It wouldn't be fair to simply display the complete runs like in post #80 . A full reporting of what SAWS are really all about needs to show what leads up to a successful run. At the risk of ruffling the feathers of those who use the term SAW to describe their gofaster sport rigs, (with humble apologies) , I'm going to "soapbox" for a minute and offer that an actual SAW competition boat begins it's odyssey immediately after the exhaustion wears off from the LAST race. What follows is months of performing the ancient Oriental Ritual of Too-Ning. Then the TRAVEL. Darin from Washington State. Brian from Oregon. Jay from Texas. Tyler from way up the California Coast. Marko from Germany and Manuel from Austria. Days before the event the locals prep the course. Race day, before sunup the crew sets up the course installing the lights and timing table. Kim comes and sets up the gourmet kitchen. The competitors arrive, unload, set up their pits. Timing begins. Then the frustrating mid day wait until the wind/waves subside. BORING. Then more racing until the bewitching hour at dark. Then tear it all down, load up, go home & collapse in bed (I have a 70 mile round trip). Then the SAME for two more days. Equipment failures, toasted electronics, boats lost to Davy Jones, finding the center island at full chat and destroying good boats, and oh the blowovers ! A true SAW devotee is certifiably crazy but we keep coming back. I do primarily for the camaraderie and cooking.

Here's some runs that demonstrate what normally leads up to a successful two-way pass. I'd guess that there's maybe a half-dozen of these for every good run - enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5ebHR6wR4

Where is the "LIKE" button??

Brian and I were making plans for the next event on the way home from the lake on Sunday, all the way to Tyler's hours on Monday morning, and then for most of the trip back to Hillsboro, OR Monday afternoon/evening... when one of us wasn't sleeping for a spell.

I have already ordered 2 new ESCs... a new hull... am on the search for another... have drawings started for another... and have replacements on the way for the 2 ESCs that I "damaged" during the weekend. Lynx is on the workbench, new Lawless lower unit ordered, and have started going thru my garage to clear out some parts I'm not using to make room for the new stuff....

Has it even been a week yet??

Tony, that was very well stated, as usual. You have a gift my good friend. As I said before, the SAWs and Tony go together... Thank you!

Cool

Here are some more of the "Crashes" Tony alludes to. I certainly did not get them all. The video quality is not very good for some reason - I'll re-post on YouTube this evening.

http://tinypic.com/r/sgofiv/5
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

By chance did you catch any of my runs with the T hydro at 130+?
    Sure, here's one. I'll repost later if the quality suffers.

http://tinypic.com/r/ra155s/5
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Here are some more of the "Crashes" Tony alludes to. I certainly did not get them all. The video quality is not very good for some reason - I'll re-post on YouTube this evening.

http://tinypic.com/r/sgofiv/5

Great job Jay Love the rainbows !

Well, you guys got a couple of my crashes as usual

Tony, you're so right about all the work and effort that goes into both boat and course preparation prior to an event. I spent at least 200 hours on my Cats leading up to this event. Then you take your results from the event, stir the magic cauldron and begin testing all over again (prop changes, H/W tweaks, motor changes, hull changes etc, etc, etc). It's an iterative process that never ends...always chasing that elusive record breaking run.

Thanks for all the great videos and pictures guys
    Last edited by thomaslambo; 11-15-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Great vids, and Jay nice edit job on the bloopers. It really does fill in the story. Many of those crashes resulted in damage, I'm sure. Throw in the not-so-obvious-to-the-occasional-viewer shaft failures and lost props that Tyler mentioned, and the brain starts to count off C-Notes and tuning hours lost. At least mine does.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast