Thread: Recommendations for portable charging

Default Recommendations for portable charging

I'm heading out camping for a week to a state park and want to bring a few boats and trucks. Looking for suggestions on a portable battery setup that won't break the bank and bring along. I see others using a big ole deep cycle battery but that's bigger than what I want since space is tight as is. My charger is an Onyx 235. Another thought is to bring a long extension cord that I can tap from the bathrooms and lead it outside. I'm sure I would get spoken to from the park ranger as thumbs down. Or... how about an inverter and taps into the truck's cig lighter? Thanks

just charge off your car battery, make sure you leave your car running as a lot of charging will drain yoiur car battery. I also always carry a 4 cell 5000 with a pair of big clips on it to jump start my truck if I drain it too low or for a Jump start in general. It really works like a charm.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Cool... good to know. What inverter are you using? I have one that's a few years old but the owners manual says it's not made for charging of batteries.

No inverter, most chargers today come with a cord to plug onto your car battery. Alligator clip

We have the small harbor freight generators to power our DC power supplies... Talk about the long way around the pond... lol
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

Plug into the bathroom power and put duct tape over the cord where there is concrete then throw some dirt over it back to your site. Bring a safety vest and a hard hat. If you see the ranger just be like yep, here to install that bear supression device the park ordered, gonna be here all day, this one is a doozy.

I think the car battery is the best option at this point as stated earlier.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure my Onyx 235 can take a direct car battery charge but can't get anyone from customer service to confirm. Love the duct tape / safety vest idea. :)

Hey, I'll be at Lake Wenatchee State Park tomorrow night with a charger and a couple boats...if you're camping there, swing by and I'll charge your batteries while you feed me beer :)
    Corey
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Thanks Corey for the offer but staying in town for the weekend. Have a great one.