Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC Super Hawaii Overhaul

Default ABC Super Hawaii Overhaul

I wanted a SH ever since I saw one back in 1994, I was 6 years old. It's just a cool looking boat in my opinion and I love how it is a replica of the real thing! Well I finally found one on Ebay and picked it up 100% original for $100. I am glad it hasn't been beat on, but it has some issues I need to address. The nose is smashed a little bit, I'm planning on making and aluminum noseplate for it to rivet on the hull and give it its shape back. The transom has two cracks where the stock twin motor transmission mounted, which I will seal appropriately.

I stripped everything out of the hull to prepare it for an overhaul. I've never built a boat before, so this will likely not be a super awesome build. My plan is to use the stock steerable outdrive (for now) and mount this in for a powerplant:

2000kV Tekin T8
    Graupner Flex coupler to mount to the stock driveshaft.

I'm not looking to make this boat a speed demon, I'd be perfectly happy with 20-25mph out of it honestly. Just want a nice vintage boat that has been updated to reliably run on the lake a few times here and there. I think I'll try 3S first and see how that runs, but for now I'm working on getting the rear section of the boat glassed so I can epoxy this motor mount in.

I ordered turn fins and trim tabs, hopefully they will be here by the time the motor is in. Then I will just need to install a watercooled RX8 ESC and my receiver and see how she runs!

Any suggestions you guys have would be great, I'm a total noob when it comes to props and such. I know its to use the stock steerable outdrive but I kind of would like to keep the boat simple, more of a casual cruiser you could say. Plus it just looks so damn cool!

More to come when I can get some pics of the hull!

Pics of the damage:

And the motor mount in place. I still need to do some more work inside, I'm not the best with fiberglass work.

It fits with no room to spare, which is good because I really didn't want to cut this hull up to make it all fit. Thinking I might need another layer of glass and then I'll epoxy the motor mount in so I can start working on the cooling lines.

Should be a fun project! That motor should be plenty for it, and 3s will give you the lower scale speed.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

If you want to make it any more powerful you might need to ditch the steerable outdrive, i'm not saying do it now, but once the FE bug is done it's incubation period, you'll break out into resin sweats and fiberglass hives After that, the outdrive won't handle 50 mph

I've got a P1 for 40+ speeds and some sporting, but my goal with this boat is pure sport. I may end up putting a stinger and rudder on it eventually but I think for simplicity I'm going to run it this way. It's an ABS hull and very flimsy/lightweight, plus I don't want to destroy it lol.

If you do destroy it which I hope you don't I have a brand new one in the swap shop if you need. Good luck with the build I hope it inspires me to do mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
    I've got a P1 for 40+ speeds and some sporting, but my goal with this boat is pure sport. I may end up putting a stinger and rudder on it eventually but I think for simplicity I'm going to run it this way. It's an ABS hull and very flimsy/lightweight, plus I don't want to destroy it lol.
    I would suggest using epoxy and fiberglass to stiffen the hull since its ABS.

I'm working on giving the hull some meat, I'm not very good with fiberglass but I think it's coming along ok.

Randy at bby had an article about strengthening abs I remember right he used fg mat and 3m 77 spray adhesive as the resin may heat and warp the plastic you can contact him at bbyracing.com or he is here on ose

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I'm about ready to epoxy the motor mount in, after that I should have her in the water pretty quick like! Still need to make the nose brace but that can always be added later on.

Motor mount is in, epoxy is curing. ESC is wired up and in place, along with an MR200 receiver. Just waiting on my trim tabs and turn fins to show up and it'll be time for the maiden voyage!

hows it commin???? this was my first ever boat.... i loved it!

I took it for a test run real quick the other day, no cooling lines hooked up yet, no trim tabs or turn fins as they haven't shown up yet..

All I can say is WOW, it is way too fast on 4S! I think 3S will be more like it, it hops like crazy and anything over half throttle is a death wish in the making. It rolled once hard, at which point I walked out in the water and brought it back in. Everything is still good, but she definitely needs some tuning to get up over 35+mph. Can't wait til the trim tabs show up and my cooling hardware! It looks awesome gliding across the water for sure. I have more pics of the build, will get them up asap.

did you make any strut adjustments to try to calm her down?
    The tabs and fins should help a little too.

I did adjust the strut down more, but didn't run it after that. It's just very bow-light, needs some weight I think but I don't want to make it a speed demon, I have visions of a horrific crash haha.
    Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 06-23-2011 at 03:51 PM.

More pics of the build, pretty much complete sans trim tabs/fins!

Water Pickup

Interior
    Tekin RX8 with Traxxas watercooling setup
    Spektrum MR200 RX

Water Outlet

Can't wait til the fins/tabs show up, then she'll be ready for another run!

Still trying to figure out the best way to keep the batteries secure, probably velcro...

Great job.......................vid please!!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Great job.......................vid please!!
    Will do, last few parts and it should be a fun vintage boat to take out on the water!

Little snap shot from the first test run.

Fins and tabs finally showed up! Excited to get them installed tonight, pics to follow!

As promised, installed pics.

I left two bolts/nuts at work, just in case you noticed them missing haha. Video this weekend, finally get to see if the new hardware helps!

http://youtu.be/Z5zx3xHiark

Here's a short video, lake still wavey and I couldn't keep it in the water. The trim tabs helped a lot, as did the turn fins. It carves pretty good on flat water, I'll try to get a video if the lake flattens out.

Ty, any new updates from what is on here?

Hey Ty..........just saw the vid for the first time, somehow i missed it.......Looks great! Sounds good too, just get the bow down a tad, batts forward possibly. Great job again!

I have it trimmed better than that video now and it's much quieter too. I'll get a better video of it on some flat water one of these days, with a better camera!

What a great boat Ty. Way to keep a classic alive.

Nice Job! Looks like a great lake to play on.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I need to look into different or replacement drive hardware, the stock stuff won't hold up for very long at this rate!

Looks like you have a good recovery system chasing it in the water
    I'm married with children, you can't scare me!

Yeah lol, my dogs freak when I take my boats out, she chases it but won't actually touch it, it's funny. I use the jet ski to recover them if (when) anything happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast