Thread: Atlantic Tug on 12v?

Default Atlantic Tug on 12v?

Hey,

I picked up an Atlantic tug to use as a retreival boat. I am thinking about running a 12 volt motorcycle battery in it. I will most likely eventually upgrade to a larger prop and not sure a 6 volt system will give me enough power. My other option is running a 2S or 3S lipo and had a bunch of ballast.

What do you guys think?
    If you aren't flying on the edge you're taking up too much room!!
    http://www.iowacityaerohawks.com/

My buddy runs an Atlantic Harbor tug with an upgraded 3 blade prop (cant remember which one), a Tacon 36-50-1300kv, Seaking 35amp esc on a Sky Lipo 20c 4000mah 3s pack. The boat runs all day long and has no problem bringing in multiple boats. He uses fishing line with a few bobbers and at the end he has a bobber with a 4 prong hook to grab the running gear. You will be happy with that set up as it is super reliable and with water cooling is never hot. The boat also moves around between 15-17mph. No ballast is used in his boat as it is not top heavy and turns better with an upgraded rudder.

DSCN2753.jpgDSCN2754.jpgDSCN2755.jpg

a few pics of the modified rudder system and water pick up.

did you use the stock prop after new set up? and what new prop did you go with?
    i have the same boat also for a recovery craft,
    just purchased the same esc but different motor.
    the way it is now i can walk faster.
    i used 1/2" pvc pipe and fittings with pipe insulation in the shape of a wide "H" to grapple my other boats.

Quote Originally Posted by IFlyEm View Post
    Hey,

I picked up an Atlantic tug to use as a retreival boat. I am thinking about running a 12 volt motorcycle battery in it. I will most likely eventually upgrade to a larger prop and not sure a 6 volt system will give me enough power. My other option is running a 2S or 3S lipo and had a bunch of ballast.

What do you guys think?
    I been toying with the same idea, won't the stock motor and ESC work as a retrieval boat setup, until one or the other has a problem?
    RC Grandpa
    NAMBA Dist. 9
    Folsom R/C Modeleers

Quote Originally Posted by JLShip View Post
    I been toying with the same idea, won't the stock motor and ESC work as a retrieval boat setup, until one or the other has a problem?
    I just got this from tower and was looking for an answer for what stock battery is better, nicd or nimh?
    I'll let you know how the stock set up works when I get it in next week if you like? I had the same idea i think, run it till there is a problem or some better parts fall in my lap.

Any one know if the above pictured rudder is custom made or after market?