Thread: Silicone (Acidic/non-acidic) vs Goop

Default Silicone (Acidic/non-acidic) vs Goop

I was about to head out to buy some silicone to seal the brackets on the back of the boat. I've read to get non-acidic silicone. Why is that? I was thinking of using Amazing Goop, since I have it. It's does have a quite a smell.
    Revolt 30, Octura M545, Spectrum DX3S tx, ORX rx, Shaft from Kinetic...not on the water yet.

Uhm, why not use plumbers putty. It doesn't dry out and isn't permanent. I always stay away from silicone, especially if it ever needs paint. Fisheye galore

All my holes do not have any slop in them. I just make sure to seal them after drilling with thinned epoxy and have never worried about sealing them
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I've used them all. Silicon, Goop, 3m 5200. I think even bathroom caulk. They all work fine. I bed down the hardware for waterproofing and to help hold it in place if the mounting screws loosen a little.

I use Shoe Goo. I've been told that silicon sealant makes repainting very difficult.

Chief

3m 5200. Is made for sealing below waterline and is a polyurethane base so it will paint up. It is not cheap though.

I've always used 100% silicon as a seal on hardware. Spread a little on and whipe any excess off after installation. But as mentioned above almost all will work. 3m also makes a rubber tape very similar to plumbers putty, it holds together a bit and is tough to get screws through but ,makes a very good seal around threads if mounting holes are sloppy.

I use 3M Marine Silicon. Just a very thin bead around the mounting hole on the hardware. Never had it squeeze out. Not worried about re-painting since the proper prep work will take care of any residual silicon.