Thread: UL1 newb Qs

Default UL1 newb Qs

Only boating for 2weeks and only had the UL1 in the water 2 times. So please bear with me. Straight out of the box it's a rocket. I know the hydro doesn't like left turns but this one almost doesn't turn. Right turn on the other hand was better. So I went to my LHS to pick up a M445 prop but settled with the Grim 42x55. I messed with with the set up. Moved the strut from 7/8 to 1". I left the tilt alone since it naturally pointed down as i moved the strut. I'm going from what the manual said about the rudder and turn fin. Just for giggles I set the fin all the way up (pos) and the rudder -.5* towards the hull to see if I can pull tighter right turns. COG---- batteries as far forward.

With this set up it planed quick. Like I said I'm new to this so I don't know how it should ride on the water. Looked like the stern was was riding low and it looked like the hull was riding at the very corner of the pad. Should I tilt the the strut more so the bow rides more on the pads.

Left turn still bad. Right was a lot better but maybe another -.5* more if it allows me. OR I don't know how to drive the thing. Lol Thanks for your time

Don't bother with left turns. You're wasting your time there.
    As far as adjustments, try different stuff. You'll find a good compromise of speed and stability the more you play.
    A well set up ul1 will turn at full throttle no problem.
    Hope this helps

Yeah I tried different stuff the 3rd time around. Turn fin I set a tad positive from stock. Strut back to stock height and angled as far Asti will let me to see if I can get the bow down. Rudder I gave it 1* towards the hull. The biggest difference was the steering. The steering rod was set too low on the horn so and was hitting the servo. I moved it up 2 holes and that's when I noticed the gears were screwed. Since I'm not racing touring car and offload buggy this summer I snagged my Savox and threw it in. On the water this thing was turning finally. Love seeing it rip across the water! 3/4 throttle it's on rails but full throt turning I think it's digging in so much it slows it down so what I'm going to do next is to pull the fin back a tad from stock. I want to throw an air dam on to see what happens.