Thread: UL-1 Motor + New AQ Water Jacket

Default UL-1 Motor + New AQ Water Jacket

Tried out a UL-1 motor in my Revolt 30 this morning. All things being equal, but the new motor, I was 7.4 kmph faster than with the 1800kv motor. 80.7 kmph total.

Only one problem though. I ordered a new water jacket (AQUB9518 - stock I piece) and it's not sealing well to the motor body so water is leaking out. The o-rings look good but the jacket when installed, moves relatively easy around the motor body. The factory 1800kv motor + water jacket can't be moved. Which is normal? Any suggestions to create a better seal?

A thin bead of silicone around both sides of the cooling jacket does the trick!

Silicone grease or silicone sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    Silicone grease or silicone sealant?
    silicone sealant, i should think, grease will make it more slippery. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...l-water-jacket
    see picture in post #4.

That's what I figure he meant, it just seemed drastic.

I originally used the "green slime" I use when I build by buggy shocks. Might have been too slippery. I'll wipe it all down and try using a diluted dish soap solution. If that still doesn't work, I'll get the OSE water jacket. I think I might be too anal about build aesthetics to go the silicon route.

Any idea how the factory gets the the fit to be so tight?
    Last edited by rickwess; 05-31-2013 at 01:46 PM.

You did the right thing by applying "Green Slime" on the "O" rings, I put silicone shock oil in them. having said that, mine is also slippery in the begining, but there is NO leak, I can rotate the jacket freely ( not this one, but the silver colored one OSE sells). As I said in the other post, this AQ has given me untold amount of grief, the "O" rings get pinched or rolled/folded inside as you slide. You may not see it from looking into the ends .
    The silicone oil eventually dries/evaporates and the jacket becomes "stuck" to the motor can.

I think I have it solved. Even with a perfectly clean o-rings there was still some air leakage. It was still surprisingly easy to install the jacket.

I then put a small bead of silicone on each end of the jacket and then slid and rotated jacket back and forth. The thought being to fill the small gaps. It's been drying for an hour now and with just lung pressure I still have a seal.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    I think I have it solved. Even with a perfectly clean o-rings there was still some air leakage. It was still surprisingly easy to install the jacket.

I then put a small bead of silicone on each end of the jacket and then slid and rotated jacket back and forth. The thought being to fill the small gaps. It's been drying for an hour now and with just lung pressure I still have a seal.