Thread: MG 29 Stock | Ordered x642 | Flex shaft questions

Default MG 29 Stock | Ordered x642 | Flex shaft questions

Greetings,

first thanks for all of you before me that have run you MG's. I have read up alot on this forum and this is my 1st post. I have about 1 hour of run time on my MG29. I just broke my first plastic prop last night, I noticed the decrease in performance, and not having the top speed. I brought it in and checked for weeds stuck, but noticed the prop was missing 1 whole blade.

I went ahead and ordered the balanced and sharpened x642 prop from here, it was the last 1 in stock. I'm excited to try out this new prop next week sometime, but had a few questions about the flex shaft and installing a new prop. Any tips for someone who hasn't done this before? I do have the grease and was going to take apart and grease the shaft as I have not done this yet since owning the boat.

Here is a picture of my boat running. miss_gieco.jpg Here is the video from that day.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=167733560052199

Thanks,

Mike

You should pull the shaft clean and grease it after every run. That being said after you install the new prop run it for a minute and check temps - 5 second rule on the motor will do if you don't have an infrared temp gun. Repeat every minute and don't run it more than 5 minutes total time.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Good choice the X642 is in my opinion the perfect for 4s stock, and 5S with esc upgrade, make sure your strut is flush with the ride pads. Grease after each session (day), unless you run alot in one day. Be careful around that S&B prop!

Thanks for the response guys! I appreciate it, I will get the broke plastic prop off there and then the manual out to read up.

I need check out the diagram of the flex shaft and get that sucker greased. I prolly have about 1 hour of runtime on the boat thus far.

I will post up once I get that greased and report back how the S&B x642 I ordered from this site works.

Mike

It is easy to remove, I believe it is 2 - 10mmm wrenches, loosen collet, pull out from rear, when reinstalling make sure you leave a little gap between strut and drive dog for cable compression. It is not complicated.

X642 is perfect for the stock setup. Actually, the Proboat Stiletto stainless prop works well too, and that has the added benefit of being stainless steel meaning you can safely learn how to sharpen/balance on your own. With the beryllium copper props you need safety gear as that is highly toxic in particulate form.

As mentioned above, you need to lube the shaft frequently. I lube mine every 4-5 runs. With the Miss Geico center mounted rudder, it is a bit tight on removing it--
    you'll need to remove the prop and the prop nut (but you can leave the drive dog on). Angle the rudder just a tad and you can slide the prop shaft just past it.

If you can't pull out the flexshaft it is because it is hung up at the collet end. Take a small screwdriver and gently pry apart the collet tabs (just a little). It should let go. After a while this will break in and should release easier.

You should also put some anti-sieze grease on the collet threads so you can tighten it without breaking the collet. If you do break it, don't stress as there are better replacement collets (octura...).

Chief

Oh, if you are running it out of the box, the ESC default setting is "logrithmic" mode, which means you are only running it at 85% at full throttle. You'll want to reprogram the ESC to get full speed...

Chief

Thanks Chief! I did the re-programming before, going to put the new prop on/grease the shaft and re-assemble. Heading out to the lake this evening after work to run it. I got the file you sent me and will be making the strut mod once I get a few laps in with the new set up. I'll take some pics and video to share.

Happy Friday!

So how did it go ? :-) got the prop ?
    Drammen rock City

Thumbs up Friday run sad Monday run soooo nice!

Got the prop on no problems an shaft lubed did take me 25/30 mins to get the strut raised all the tools out and away.

Got down to a running zone with batts charged but not my home water. my friend had a boat waiting at the dock and It was the next bay down,but still behind a breakwater. Wind was blowing but I ran it anyway. First pull away from dock catch 1st wave with wind gust and blow right over.

I take some flak from the bar we go get it upside down an boat away, I drained the top lid an ran the rest of the packs.

Got to run today on home water and she was running 35 mph all day plus++& handling great.
    Attached Images Attached Images