Thread: Need help!! New paint job for my hull

Default Need help!! New paint job for my hull

Hi Guys,

I need a couple pointers to repaint my boat. I'm fairly new to this hobby so it's my first boat paint job. I have a 29mg. I put a 180 amp esc and a 4082 from fine design. So for me the boat is fast. Needless to say I had some blow overs and the seem split some on one of the sponsons. I already repaired and reinforced the hull. All she needs is paint but Im not sure of the proper paint and steps to do. I usedd to race rc cars, so I've painted several of those but I know that's a completely different application. My buddy that's helping me runs a sign company so he has all the needed equipment. Mainly I'm just not sure what paint/ clear coat I'm supposed to use. I'm going to paint the baot a solid color ( probably pepsi blue) then make white stickers for her. Any thoughts or advise appreciated?

There are hundreds of different paints you can use. If you have spray eq get automotive basecoat/clearcoat. Find a auto paint supplier and go there. They will set you up

Are you a virgin to paint or a seasoned vet in other media? We need a little back ground.

I have been painting since I was 13 years old. I am 64 now. This is my latest paint job. It is not in clear yet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Thanks

This is my first FE boat and the first time I will be painting one. I'm going to sand and prep the boat but my buddy that runs a sign company is going to help me with the paint but he has never painted a boat either so he's not sure if we should use the paint that they use for signs or if I should buy something else. He has a gravity fed air spray gun. Any suggestions of what paint to use with it? So yes def a virgin

Heaving,

I don't know of any automotive shops that sell paint. In my area all I know is that there are a couple of body shops. I guess I can ask what paint they use and where they get it. But if I knew the name of a brand that makes automotive paint that works well on boats I could google it and locate it. .

Just go to a local body shop and ask what they use and where to get it. Pretty much automotive paints are all good, and you will need to use a two part clear which are all good. I really don't think any are much better to use than others , as long as you do it right you'll be fine

Thanks Heaving. As a matter of fact some girl that just got her first car crashed into my infinity M45 sport so it's in the body. I don't think they will mind mixing me some paint (there nice people) I figure I don't need much for the boat. How much paint do I need for the boat and how much 2part clear do you think I need?

8 oz paint to be safe, maybe 6 oz clear

Heaving - Regarding 2 part clears, do you know of a good clear that would work well over fastkolor airbrush paints??

Considering using this....PPG Quick Clear https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProduc...1-e11a3891c355

Thanks.

Any clear. Ppg is great, also nason is a good affordable clear.

I have never sprayed the omni, but I have sprayed ALOT of the ppg dc3000 and 4000 clears, which are nice

Thanks!

Any urethane two part car clear is safe to go over waterbourne color. No problem. Just pick one and go for it

I use Omni and Zolotone Clear or Omni Clear. for all my paints with House of color.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

heaving earth is right. use automotive clear. my buddy is master painter and showed me how to really prep and prime for a world class finish. day one sand hull 400 grit. prime with the right primer. day 2 wet sand with 600 grit and then wet sand with 1000 grit. repeat prime and 6-1000 grit wet sand until hull is as perfect as you want it to be. prep is 90 percent of great paint job.

rust oleum ultra cover 2x is pretty decent primer for a budget. also bonds to plastic. another tip and trick. if using spray paint in a can, soak in wa water for 5 minutes before shaking. and keep warm while using. makes for better delivery out of the nozzle.

Thanks for the tip guys