Thread: Is it a good upgrade idea ? (props)

Question Is it a good upgrade idea ? (props)

Hi everybody,

I purchased a fully upgraded EKOS from a member last year, and here is its setup:
    bare hull with 2 layers of blue carbon fiber inside the hull.
    Installed:
    FC motor mounts
    FC rudder
    FC stingers 4mm
    Flush hull water pick ups
    Carbon fiber battery trays
    Feigao 9xls with cooling jackets
    Turnigy 120s
    2-Hyperian 4s 3300 mah
    Carbon fiber 3/16 props (counter rotating)

At the moment, I run it on 2x3S 40-80C 5000mah batteries with the Graupner 2 bladed 40mm- 56mm pitch props, and
    it run smooth and handle really well (as far as I know since I'm not afraid to tell you that I'm new in this hobby).

When I want more power, I just plug the 2-Hyperian 4s 3300 mah batteries in it, set the esc's for it and WOW, it run like this:

My question is:

When I purchased this boat from a member, it came with 2 other props from Graupner: 2 bladed 45mm- 63mm pitch.

Is there any interest for me to test those ones?

Should I'll be tuning the thrust, the CoG, and whatever (this scares a bit since I've never done it before)

If I put those bigger props, should I run my EKOS with the 2x3s setup or the 2x4s ?

thanks folks !

If you want pics of the boat, just go here: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...g-of-Shaves-C1

any input would be greatly appreciated

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

You can try the prop but be careful and check temps every minute for the first couple of runs. It may be ok for 3S but not 4S. Depends on the temps you are getting now.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

thank you !

Should I'll be tuning the thrust, the CoG, and whatever (this scares a bit since I've never done it before) ???

Moving from a 40mm prop to a 45 is a BIG jump. I'm with Chuck. Try 3s if you're feeling lucky and keep the runs short. 4S....I just wouldn't do it with 120 amp esc's.

That is clear, thank you! Will stick with my 40's !

Any size between the 40 and 45 that are too big for my setup?

You reach a certain point when you will have to assume some risk of burning stuff up while looking for an increase in performance. If your happy with the way your boat is running, leave it as is and enjoy it for a while. When you feel the need to see how much more you can get out of her and don't mind risking burning something up (like many of us do), then you should slowly go up in prop size. Just make sure your first runs are short and that you check temperatures like Chuck said. Hopefully someone with a similar set up will see this and chime in on how hard you can push those T120's. If it were my boat, I would maybe try a pair of detounged X442's. The CF blades do flex and I think you will get better performance with the Octura's. But this will also increase the load on your equipment. I probably wouldn't recommend going bigger unless you upgrade the ESC's to T180's. Then I think you would be okay to use the 445's with the 9XL's.
    Last edited by Chilli; 05-28-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Good ! Where can I find detounged x442's?

There are a few guys on the board that do props but I'm not familiar with their work personally.

Mark Sholund does most of my race props. He does great work and is pretty fast if he has the props you need in stock.

http://props4u.com/

Hi, sorry for the delay. If I go with x442's detounged, Should I'll be re-tuning the thrust, the CoG, and whatever (this scares a bit since I've never done it before)?

Run the props first. It depends on how the boat rides and the roost behind it. Then only change one thing at a time and document your results.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

thank you egneg and all others !

on this page, would you see another good prop alternative ?

http://kintecracing.com/EKOS_C1_34in_Cat.html

thank you !