Thread: AquaCraft 60 Amp ESC Question

J.W. Pepper Guest

Default AquaCraft 60 Amp ESC Question

Quick question (I hope)...

The manuals for the AQ boats that come from the factory with this ESC... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVSV4&P=Z - state that LVC kicks in at 11.6v

The manuals also state it's designed for 12-14 NiMH / 4S LiPo, so what happens if I use it with 3S LiPo's?? Fully charged 3S are 12.6v (4.2v x 3), don't know how long it takes before they go into the high 3v range, probably only a few minutes?? Then what, does LVC shut off power to the motor??

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide...

it'll studder. When I got my Revolt 30 and my 4S Lipo batteries didn't arrive yet, I used my nimh batteries total 14.4v. The cheap pair of Venom 4200mAh 6cells didn't even last 1min it keep studdering when I give full throttle. and the Duratrax was better, lasted about 3-4min. so to answer you question, I don't think you'll get much run time, voltage will drop when you gun it and 3S are only 12.6v fully charged.

J.W. Pepper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    it'll studder. When I got my Revolt 30 and my 4S Lipo batteries didn't arrive yet, I used my nimh batteries total 14.4v. The cheap pair of Venom 4200mAh 6cells didn't even last 1min it keep studdering when I give full throttle. and the Duratrax was better, lasted about 3-4min. so to answer you question, I don't think you'll get much run time, voltage will drop when you gun it and 3S are only 12.6v fully charged.
    I too have had bad luck with Venom batts, I've read posts / comments from others (here & elsewhere) who also say they're batts suck - I agree.

Reedy Wolfpack batts are by far the best 6-cell packs I've ever owned, they charge to precisely the same exact mAh capacity each & every time, makes them perfect for dual batt boats like the AQ SV / SVR, but I no longer have a need for them so I listed them in the swap shop.

No other battery that I have owned or tried can come even close to that. Wish they made 8.4v humps, but they only do stick packs.

The ESC... Thanks for the answer!! I was afraid that would happen; I converted one of my boats to BL while back, tried making a mount for the Seaking 60A unit I had, but ran into issues because of the un-even bottom. Needs changed, so the SK went in another boat & I got AQ SVR 45A ESC (no LiPo LVC) for the BL conversion boat, gives me 18A overhead & easy install because of the flat bottom.

I want to try a lower KV motor on 3S, was hoping the AQ 60A unit would work because it would be a drop in swap, put velcro on the bottom & install.

If anybody has suggestions for other ESC's (need 60A minimum) that would be a relatively easy install on a flat top mount with velcro, I'm wide open. The mount is epoxied to the hull, so non-removable.

Thanks,