Thread: Esc or motor

Default Esc or motor

Hey guys first post, first off great site learned lots! Long sad story short I bought a fastech on eBay in "like new" shape and well it's not, it's a busted up wreck and I got ripped off....anyways I skipped the nimh and have gone straight to lipo so I rewired for lipo with ec5's and reprogrammed. Went to power up the first time on the stand and rudder i.e. servo works great but the motor is dead. Can someone tell me the color code on the wiring between the esc and motor(just in case that's my problem). If that's not it, is there a way to test to see what my problem is? Thanks guys sorry if its a newbie question but.....I'm a newbie:0)

Hi
    The motor wires can be in any order-- swapping any 2 just changes the motor direction.

Do you get any beeping when you arm the esc?

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Pictures would help

Brian

Well when I reprogrammed using the PRB quick programming card it beeped. Is it supposed to beep every time you turn the boat on? If so it definitely doesn't do that. I will say the battery's are still in storage mode and all cells read 3.8v. But given low cutoff is at 2.7v I would think I'd get at least some sort of heartbeat. When i first hooked it up I could here the motor at least let out a "click" but now it won't even do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nothing to do wit your problem but :would change to 3.0 V cut-off !!

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    nothing to do wit your problem but :would change to 3.0 V cut-off !!
    Ya I just dropped it to the lower cutoff as part of my troubleshooting if I magically get this piece of junk up and running ill change it back

I've had a Fastech-- it is a really fun boat (I liked it a lot) so I hope you get her running. I sold mine a while back and I regret it...

Are you using the stock TX controller on FM? I think you said you were able to get rudder input to move, so I'll assume the RX/TX are talking to each other. Try centering the throttle trim on the TX before connecting the lipos, and if that does not work, disconnect everything, and then reduce the TX throttle trim just a tad and try again.

Another thing to try- after you connect the lipos, wait a few seconds, then give the TX full throttle and hold it there. The ESC might need to recalibrate the Throttle range.

What should normally happen is when you connect the the packs, the motor should beep. If it is beeping repeatedly, then it wants you to give full throttle so it can calibrate itself. No beeping at all makes me a bit concerned...

I would try this with fully charged packs.

Make sure the connections to the RX are solid and connectors are in there the right direction.

If none of that works, then it is either a bad RX or a bad ESC. RX is cheaper to swap out and you probably want to upgrade to 2.4 so I'd do that first.

Lemme know how it goes,
    Chief
    Last edited by BHChieftain; 05-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Chief thanks for your help I really have no idea what did it but a combo of all the above seemed to do the trick. Got a ton of wild beeping but it's up and running so ill take it. Again thanks for the help guess ill be running stock motor for now. Is it sad a part of me was hoping I'd be forced to upgrade

No need to upgrade that motor-- it is a powerhouse. It is 1500kv so you can prop up on it.

Note, you should dump the ec connectors and use direct 5.5 or 6mm bullets. That way you can get rid of the serial harness. With the bullet connectors you connect the batteries directly to each other and that will take a lot of resistance out of the system.

Should be good to go on x642 prop on 4s.

You could use that same motor on 6s but you would want a 180a esc for that.

Those pro boat motors kick butt.

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Ziggy,

to restate what BHC said... Do NOT upgrade anything on this. It is GREAT as is!!! All you need to do is get either a X642 or Prather 215 prop... These boats are so great as is!!! Look up a threat in this same Fastech forum about simple performance upgrades (link below)... It takes ten minutes to do and your boat will handle like it's on rails!!! I have one...and it has easy 100 hours on it. Same ESC, Motor...etc as the day I bought it..... it has been demoted to a "learning boat" position for friends and stuff, but it is the most stable and reliable boat.... Hope it works the same for you...

See post 5 and 12

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...m-Quastion....