Thread: 1960's and up Drag Racing Pictures

Default 1960's and up Drag Racing Pictures

Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Mike, great pictures/memories ! Back "in the day" it took big balls, lots of elbow grease and backyard innovation , a far cry from what drag racing is today.

Here's one for you : A short while ago I was at the lake with my buddy Henry Velasco, known for his race cranks and rods, and he introduced me to his friend, this kindly old gent whose name has been a common household name in racing circles for generations. Who is he ?

DSC02509.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony looks like Ed ISKY.
    I just met Henry V. at Hobart, IN last fall we did have some good yucks. I used to sell and balance Henry's cranks back in 1970 -77 at shop I worked in and we also sold Isky Cams. You know even today you never hear about an Isky cam going flat in a 454. Richard I. one of the nicest and smartest guys out there. Yes back then we did it for the love of the sport. How many times worked 60 hours a week and still was in the garage at home until the birds were chirping. I am married 45 years this year and it would have never happened if I bought or built my own air flow bench or Dyno. RC boats since 1972
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Yup, Mr. Iskenderian himself. I was just bowled over how kind and gentle he was . I swear I wanted him to adopt me on the spot. Asked him if he was thinking of getting into r/c boats & he just smiled and said he was busy with too many other things.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono