Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Hor Racing Zonda 41

Default Feedback on Hor Racing Zonda 41

I'm thinking of getting the above cat and run 8s, I've searched the forum and found very little info of them, so if anyone has one could they post any finding, info, hints on this post please

AJ
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

Ive heard someone broke off the transome on the carbon one
    Id just get the fibreglass one and re enforce it.
    its cheap, can run single or dual setups

I have a zonda and run it as a twin on 5s each side. Got tp 40mm 2000kv and swordfish 200 amp speedy fiberglass

I love the look of the carbon ones, is it worth the extra money for the Kevlar version?
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

I liked it to but cost stopped me buying on. Andrew said a transom broke off on carbon one I would look into that.

I'll try and dig up some more info, my thinking was that the Kevlar version should be stronger than the full carbon version??
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

I have the zonda carbon with twin 4074 2000kv and turnigy 180A esc on 5S.
    It works great but the hull is very thin. It got only one layer of thin cf so you can se through the hull.
    But the transom is re enforced and I layed a layer og cf over the motormounts and as far ahead as I could get to.
    I think it will be tight to fit twin 8S but single should be fine.
    My 5S packs do not fit in the midle of the hull, barely fits 4S.
    I have run it with 450/3 props and it is FAST. I have no GPS run on it but i would guess way over 100km/h and the speed calc. here says 106.

_DSC56462.jpg04032013286.jpg26022013245.jpg

I used SF 200 and can fit 2 turnigy nano tech 5s 5000mah

Really fast boat with even a small setup. You'll love it. I would get the fiberglass one and bulk it up. I own 3 tfl/horracing hulls (fc super daytona, standard daytona, and cheetah) they're nice hulls if you don't have plans to go really fast. They're very thin in some areas but reinforcing is part of the fun. The super daytona is great though its comparable to my mystic 138.

Where can I get a fibre glass 41?
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

Quote Originally Posted by <AJ> View Post
    Where can I get a fibre glass 41?
    Im building one right now its called the fantasm and keithbradley or fightercat sells them with a carbon fiber and Kevlar inlay for less than $200. If you think $650 is a lot for a zonda cat it's not if you start pricing out parts. 2 cheap 4074 motors $200, two t180s $200, hull $200, batteries to run 6s $300 + $250-$400 for hardware servo, stingers etc. What im saying is its not a cheap boat to build from scratch and ill have over $1500 in mine after paint. And if you buy lets say castle escs and motors add another $500

Where abouts you live AJ?

In the UK, i think I'm going to order the Carbon version direct from Hor Racing

http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=566

I've got some Nano 4500 45c 4s lipo's from my brushless 1/8th buggy I can use and ill get a pair of Seaking 120a esc
    Last edited by <AJ>; 05-06-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

Jamie@OSE

CF Zonda
    2x Sirius 1518/1800
    2x6S
    2x SF240
    78.5mph ..

edit: link removed because facebook wouldnt share !

LMK if this doesnt work when you hit the link above
    Last edited by drwayne; 05-03-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Link doesn't work for me, but might be my stupid iPad tho xD
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

cameras gaffa taped to caps dont really do justice to this hull's performance !

Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

I just bought a df pirate 35. Spent 25 bucks on carbon fiber kit on ebay. It took 30 mins to line the hull and came out great.

Got the CF Zonda. Yes the hull is very thin and it's a bit disconcerting being able to see a whole lot of daylight through it. My hull leaked like a sieve when I first got it and I had to seal over all the through-hull bolts and screws. Trouble is - it is extremely difficult to reach the rear of the boat from inside with any tools etc etc. Ended up having to pipe some glue in and just let it set over the mounts for the stinger angle adjusters. Running the black can 2075kv motors that come with the hull in the ARTR version. Run 2 x 5S Thunder power 5000mah batts, but I had to cut spaces for them from the internal mounting tray. Once you do that though the 5000mah's fit without issue.

Honestly I'd get the hull only and put decent motors inside. So far I have topped out at 90km/h - and that was with slightly oversized props that had me heating things up real fast.

Will not turn at speed with the stock rudder. Looking to fit a larger dual pickup to mine.

Anyone can give me a way of setting this boat up to go faster and I'm listening.

Good hull though. Definitely will handle more speed than I've been able to get into it.

Was thinking of going something like 1800's on 6S like drwayne reports above.

Last edited by IRON-PAWW; 05-03-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Thanks, that's the best reply yet, I'm still haven't been put off getting one. Its going to be an ongoing project that won't be rushed, so even the small pit falls are not anything I can't work through :)
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

Iron go to rcboatbitz.com they have upgraded zonda rudder with dual pick up and the rudder itself is wider which I finds helps in the turns. Blacks can do you mean TP motors? Mine has TP 4082 2180kv with 43x1.6 props and runs 96 with temps below 40. Have you adjusted the stinger angles up a couple degrees and which way do your props turn in or out?

Try this on your hull. Worth about 8 percent gain speed.

http://youtu.be/IPM8OR6W6WE

Wow! That Ultra Ever Dry stuff looks truly amazing! Might see if I can't source some of that stuff somehow. Thanks for the tip Bduncan!

Ahh hah! Thanks for the pointer about the upgrade Zonda Rudder Mulisha! Been looking for a rudder I could mod onto the Zonda for some time so this is even better! Checked Boat Bitz a while back for Zonda Upgrades but didn't come up trumps that time. So this is just what I need. Ordered one straight up.

So far as I know the black can 2075kv motors are the TP ones yes. I think someone on this forum sleuthed that one out. On 4S I'm currently running some 48x1.4 props which makes the boat go around the 70km/h mark. On 5S I run 45x1.4 props which pushes me up to about 80km/h. However, Just discovered that my throttle trim might be glitching so I need to get that sorted before I can be confident that those figures are the best I can do on those setups. Would explain a few things actually.

If I go the 48mm props on 5S, I get into the 90's but just did that once as a test. Motors begun getting hot as you'd expect, so I couldn't do a full run.

I have got the stingers adjusted up a little yes, which did help. Also have the one piece drive cables from Kintec, which are an absolute must in my opinion. Mucking with the two-piece stinger drives after each run is pure madness!

AJ
    No don't be put off at all. These hulls are decent, just do some research and don't pay too much. All issues have a solution :). No build issues with my CF hull after quite a few runs & one nasty stack where I got the boat airborne. With decent hatch tape, no water got inside at all.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

I'm now sold, I will be ordering a Zonda from Hor Racing next week :)
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

Let me know what speeds and set up you decide. i got twin 4082 2180 TP motors 5s and 43x1.6 props and thinking of going up a prop size

Will do, the plan at the mo is to get the rtr version with the 2075kv motors, team up with a pair of Seaking 120 esc's, with a pair of nanotech 4500mah 45-90c 4s lipo's. Then sometime in the future go for 40mm can motors and 5s.

I'm sure a stock motor will make a good upgrade for my BJ29, so the stock motors won't be a wasted
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

Also I will be getting the dual pick up rudder from Rcboatbitz and sorting a proper servo mount
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

Love the BJ29 wish I waited for it to come out instead of getting a spartan. I think a few other places sell the rudder upgrade. I have had a bad time with boatbitz lately sending out "upgrades"that don't fit there own gear.... Bought 3/16 flex with threaded end and 3/16 prop nuts threads are different...

Quote Originally Posted by <AJ> View Post
    Also I will be getting the dual pick up rudder from Rcboatbitz and sorting a proper servo mount
    Just had to trim the tray to get the servo in on mine, cut out a section for the batteries otherwise they sat to high

zonda cat.jpg

Nice, looks a sweet setup :)
    Proboat BLACKJACK 29

RC Boat Bitz is currently out of the Zonda Rudders. My order for one just got knocked back. 2 weeks apparently. They *must* be a part elsewhere surely.

Anyone know where else I could try??

http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....oducts_id=1084

Edit: I see there is a note on the RCBB site saying the rudders are manufactured by them. Just gotta wait it seems.
    Last edited by IRON-PAWW; 05-06-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast