Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: atomic 58 inch catamaran motor question

the Leopard LBP5692 is rated at 5500w, 35v with max amps 160A.
    I know that watts x voltage= ampers
    My question is if I use this motor in 6S(22.2v) the amp draw will be 247.74Amps?
    5500w/22.2=247.74 is this the way to calculate the theorical Amp draw???

Quote Originally Posted by cgd2175 View Post
    the Leopard LBP5692 is rated at 5500w, 35v with max amps 160A.
    I know that watts x voltage= ampers
    My question is if I use this motor in 6S(22.2v) the amp draw will be 247.74Amps?
    5500w/22.2=247.74 is this the way to calculate the theorical Amp draw???
    The load and kv play a big role in this, change the prop and the amps are going to change....

so the 5692 1090kv in 6S will draw 250amps minimum?

so the 5692 1090kv in 6S will draw 250amps minimum?
    No way.... More like 110-130!!!! The 1100kv setup is only pulling 115!!!! The inrunner vs outrunner and pole count play a large roll but kv, voltage and prop are he main detirmining factor for amp draw!!!!

to determine the amp is not what I thought in this application: watts x voltage= ampers
    I have a lot to learn,
    How can the amp be figured out? for example...to know what batteries C rate to buy or to know what esc to use?

It's all about the load! The prop, weight of boat etc... All play a role!

Hey Rob do you need some batteries for the flash light or may be a bigger mirror ?

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Ok hey you guys, It has been two weeks now.

So what the hell happen ?

Do you need a flash light and a mirror to look for the data, pictures, video's that Damen & Ken have ?
    Last edited by lenny; 04-29-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Spoke to Damen today, he said he would upload the pictures tomorrow. I knew I should have used my video camera. Ken did the video. I will call Ken tomorrow to see when he maybe uploading the video's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6672 View Post
    That was how I was going to do it. Where did you get the coupler and what size is it??
    Depending where you buy the Leopard motor, will depend on the size of the shaft. Offshore has the motor with a 8mm shaft if I remember correctly and the motor I bought had a 6mm shaft. Both motors are legit/authentic motors. I bought the coupler at Offshore.
    Last edited by Finest Racing; 12-26-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Ok so I am going with an HET 700 98 1170kv. It is basically a copy of the Neu 1527 but a Better kv for 6s. Going with a water jacket and a rear mount clamp to support the 4"s of motor. This should be a good bump in performance but allow me to stay at 6s and get good run times with the 11600 mah I am running.

Boats are kind of a side thing for me hobby wise, I normally play with big 20-30 lb EDF scale jets and I have been running some HET motors pretty hard in jets the past 2 years and have had great success so I decided to give them a shot in a boat. I am going to make a new front mounting plate for the motor mount (if I can't modify the stock one) I am going to attempt to use the existing motor shaft coupler and drill out the motor end for the 8mm shaft if that dosent work we will just fab a new one

All the stuff should show up end of this week and I will post picks of the build and the performance via video, hoping for the upper 40mph range maybe touch 50 but still have the convience of just 2 batteries per run and a good run time (7-8min)

Quote Originally Posted by Finest Racing View Post
    I went out today. It was low 60's here in south central NJ. Unlikely that we will see that again till spring. The Atomik had a glitch on the first pass. The water feed line came off going to the water jacket. The boat filled up with some water. Brought it in, fixed the line, topped off the batteries, watched Ken fly around with his Genesis.
    Reset the GPS, secure everything and try it again. Off the work bench into the water the boat appeared to be on the money. I was using two 4s 6000, 25~50c Turnigy Nano Tech batteries. I know they are under in the C rating. Surprised after a 3 to 4 minute full burst straight away runs, the batteries were at 85 degrees, the motor was at 90 and the ESC was at 88 degrees.
    With the GPS tuning off but recording the max speed before turning off due to low battery, I recorded a max speed of 59.3mph. I was a very smooth ride. Ken did the video and Damen did the still photos. When I receive them, I will post.
    All in all, I am happy. No tweaking was done today. I just enjoyed it. I will now tweak it a little to see if I can hit the magic number that we think it can hit (70mph).
    I did roll it, which landed right side up. I think after the first roll - the battery tray separated. The boat was leaning when accelerating from a stop. After moving it would level out. The problem was when I would release the throttle the boat get loose. The boat rolled two more times - always landing right side up. No other damage or problems to report.
    I did use the data recorder. I will check that tomorrow.
    I spoke to Damen, he is working on the pictures. I have not spoke to Ken yet. It has been crazy over here. It was my daughters birthday this week. I will be calling Ken tomorrow.
    I will be checking the data tomorrow too.

I also use a GoPro using the head strap. Your head is always following your boat.
    Spoke to Damen today, he said he would upload the pictures tomorrow. I knew I should have used my video camera. Ken did the video. I will call Ken tomorrow to see when he maybe uploading the video's.

Hey Rob do you need some batteries for the flash or may be a bigger mirror ?

I know may be next year we will see something.

W T F
    Come on What's the facts 3.5 week and still no Data, Pictures, Or vids.
    Last edited by lenny; 12-27-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

I spoke to Ken and Damen today and we were talking about going out next week or the week after. We will not let the cold keep is away.

image.jpgOk so motor and parts all showed up today, the water jacket for the Neu 1527 seems to be a good fit for the HET motor.I need to drill out the motor end of the drive adapter from the 6mm stock size to fit the 8mm motor shaft. The bolt pattern of this motor seems very close to the stock motor mount so I might just try modifying the stock mount before going thru the hassle of making a new one. I'm going to try to get an amp reading with the stock motor first then compare it to the new motor.

Be careful when drilling through the motor mount. The mount has water jackets. Even though you may not be using the water jackets you will weaken the structure.

Be careful when drilling through the motor mount. The mount has water jackets. Even though you may not be using the water jackets you will weaken the structure.
    Yep, not my first rodeo. Most likely just bringing the pattern in a bit, atomik says its 28 and mine is 25 so not to far off...

One question, that motor is not too small?

One question, that motor is not too small?
    40mm by 4" it's much larger than the stock motor and can handle way more power!! These motors are consistently pushed over 4000watts.

Maybe this will help:image.jpg

Getting closer! We machines the mounting holes for the factory motor mount and drilled out the stock shaft coupler and everything seems to be going together well. Still need to do some alignment of the motor mount and tighten everything down, hope to have it in the water soon!

image.jpg

Looking good.

Looks like a nice fit.
    But change the water lines on the motor jacket so that the water come in at the bottom nipple,
    And than fills the jacket up and over flows out the top nipple to the exit line.
    It should help cool the motor a lot better that way with more water around the motor can,
    I try to get the exit nipple on the very top of the motor when possible

Pursuit 007.jpgPursuit 008.jpgRio mod esc to side. 005.jpgstands 043.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 006.jpg
    Last edited by lenny; 04-29-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Look like a nice fit.
    But change the water lines on the motor jacket so that the water come in at the bottom nipple,
    And than fills the jacket up and over flows out the top nipple to the exit line.
    It should help cool the motor a lot better that way with more water around the motor can,
    I try to get the exit nipple on the very top of the motor when possible
    Yeah I was kind of thinking that but was also thinking it would be easier to flush the system out if the exit is on the bottom ( I run in salt water) cooling is obviously more important so I will flip it around.

Just turn the hull upside down if you need to get the last drop out,
    When flushing the setup out and hull.
    Also spray some WD40 in the lines and blow it though to help keep down some corrosion.
    Last edited by lenny; 01-03-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

20140103_191232.jpg
    I'm preparing my ARC...

Ok so I was able to get out for a quick test run today!
    So conditions were not ideal, pretty windy and some mild chop so it's hard to give a detailed comparison between my new motor and the stock but I will say its definitely an improvement in performance and the motor seems to be running pretty cool!

This motor is designed to produce some serious power and the 2500-3000 watt estimate that I am seeing is not even waking the motor up! I will bring my temp gun on the next outing but things seemed really cool!

Performance wise this is a nice step up from the stock motor, I am running same batteries, ESC and prop so it's just a straight motor swap.

At full throttle the boat would not stay in the water :) I would guess that 3/4 throttle with this motor is similar to full throttle with the stock motor. The conditions kept me from really seeing what it can do but if I was to shoot from the hip it's about 10mph faster. I have run the boat in similar conditions maybe a bit less wind and I was able to get some full throttle passes but with the new motor that was not possible. Every time I hit full throttle you could see the drive shaft and prop coming out of the water, it was very impressive

I will try to get out and run it glassy conditions and can give a better assessment but so far I'm really happy with this upgrade!

So I got another quick run in today, this time it was in good conditions. The het 1170 kv motor is a perfect fit for anyone that wants to stick with the stock ESC and 6s but looking for improved reliability and a nice step up in performance!

The motor only hits 110 degrees with the water jacket. I would guess its a good 10mph faster than stock.

With two batteries (6s 5800 in parallel) it helps keep the boat locked in pretty well and give you enough capacity for 7-8 min run times.

Next time I can get a buddy to tag along I will try to get some video.

Thank you for the info. With what prop you test with the stock one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6672 View Post
    So I got another quick run in today, this time it was in good conditions. The het 1170 kv motor is a perfect fit for anyone that wants to stick with the stock ESC and 6s but looking for improved reliability and a nice step up in performance!

The motor only hits 110 degrees with the water jacket. I would guess its a good 10mph faster than stock.

With two batteries (6s 5800 in parallel) it helps keep the boat locked in pretty well and give you enough capacity for 7-8 min run times.

Next time I can get a buddy to tag along I will try to get some video.
    great news..
    awesome only on 6s to push this cat so well
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Thank you for the info. With what prop you test with the stock one?
    Yes all stock only changed the motor and the radio system...

4 more runs today and all is good! Motor is sitting at 80-90 degrees after 7 min runs. I have an eagle tree data logger and will run it next time to confirm the amps I'm pulling. Love this boat with this setup, lots of fun!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast