Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: atomic 58 inch catamaran motor question

good idea!! thanks Lenny Probably tomorrow im going to try te t600 1400 with the stock ESC (180amp)
    if it works fine testing bats and weights then im placing a lipo order to run 2 6s in parallel

I spoke to Damen, he is working on the pictures. I have not spoke to Ken yet. It has been crazy over here. It was my daughters birthday this week. I will be calling Ken tomorrow.
    I will be checking the data tomorrow too.

I also use a GoPro using the head strap. Your head is always following your boat.

I could not go to test the new motor yet, I forgot that the shaft 6mm shaft coupler is on its way from OSE with other stuff but what amperage do you think is going to draw? Also want to put order on new 6s lipos to go parallel but Im not sure if Im going to need 65c of discharge.
    The T600 1400kv motor is rated up to 8s with ...rated for 3250 watts
    Planning to use the stock 54mm 3 blade prop, what C rate do you think I need running in parallel config?

I would use 40c turnigy,
    Unless you have more money to through around.
    Than I would look into getting some of the Dinogy cells.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...rand-Batteries

Also try to ask Ray Schrauwen and FastVee and Coolmind members about those T600 motors,
    They have done some testing with them and should have some input for you.
    I had asked about the new motor that HK had out in hear.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...etition-Series

Hear a link to Coolmind very cool vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nasdoxen/videos
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

I have a t600 in my Genesis on 6S....good motor....gets pretty hot.....in a 58"cat on 6S??? I just don't know?????

Thanks Lenny...The stock motor is 1100kv, Im going to test this with all stock, the dif is the stock has 5mm shaft , expecting the 6mm coupler this week
    20131215_170349.jpg

Do you have a speed that you are trying to reach?

50mph...
    Yours ran ok as I read with the 5692? near 60, very nice!

The reason I ask is that the stock motor can hit 45mph. I had the stock the motor at 45mph without any tuning or adjustments.
    With my new combo, I am going to bump up on the prop and fine tune it. I hope to hit 64-66 next time out. I am going to view the data tonight. This will tell me a lot.

Chris You should change all your connectors to basic 5.5 bullet,
    That would be a very good upgrade for the whole setup.
    My P1 KOS stock v500 2000kv runs pretty hot to some times,
    Temps in the rang of 130f and up to 210f some times is normal on the these outrunners.
    But with a little higher timing it help it run a little cooler for me,
    Do you have a temp prob for checking temps ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Yes everything goes cc 6.5 as I'm putting a CC 240 I want to try and standardize my escs, motors and batteries. The traxxas connector is temporary. In my test I'm going to take temps also and share.

The Traxxas connectors gave up on me in the middle of the lake. One time the plastic got soft and reshaped itself. The next time the solder let loose and the wire came off the contact.

If I knew the weight of the hull empty I could get a better idea of what is possible for this large hull on 6S and 1400KV.

I ran the T600 1400kv motor on 5S2P old PolyRC cells, 10000 mah total. I ran it for 6 laps plus mill racing on a full course in a 29" Promise hobby cat. The hull could handle the power because it was 3.5lbs EMPTY!!

I was turning a D/T x450 2 blade and the motor had a Vantex Water cooled motor mount. Came back fairly hot but, once an out runner is in the air it cools off much faster than an inrunner since every thing is more exposed to air and the magnets are on the outside. I had the strut set level and even with the bottom of the sponsons. More tuning would have helped but, it was a quick idea before a race.

You won't be able to turn the stock prop on 6S for very long without something going stinky, that's a really big wheel to turn.

I ran a T180 esc on fairly stock Auto settings so there is probably a best program that I never got to.

If I had the hull I'd run the T600 880kv motor on 8s -10S starting with a 450 prop then see what is possible.

Lenny, I should have bought that used T600 1400kv motor when I had the chance.... oh well.

If anyone wants T600 880kv to test out let me know I have 2 kicking about.

I sold the 1400kv long ago and mounted a 880kv back into the 29" cat. Spun it up on 10S1P but, never ran it.

Maybe I'll charge the cells and take it out in the snow.

With 5S2P, x450 D/T T180 that 29" cat was hauling out at about 50-55mph....

This Shows when I ran it and you can see my orange cat pop out from time to time. The camera was on a 48" cat running 10-12S on a big lehner and Schulze 40-160 esc. I could keep up but, the rudder was too short to handle the corners effectively.
    Nortavlag Bulc

That was a fun heat!

Hi,replying here to the pm.

I can only tell you what I think but:

the 880kv T600 motors I have used were ok but the~54" v-hull needed 2 of them and they were just ok, they were not running too hot but 1 is def not enough on it it needs 2 of this sized motors to work.

The 910kv motors that I have in it now are much more powerful and they run about the same temp as the 880kv but heat the esc and lipos more.

I use 57mm 2 bladed prop usually and it is perfect for the boat.

If you want to use 1 motor I would suggest lower kv, the 30k most suggest for fe is not needed to get the boat to go 50mph. (15k will get the boat to 30mph on 4s!)

The cat is lighter and easier for the motor so 1 motor could work in these 700+ sizes but I would try about 51mm prop first.

I am building same size cat atm and it will have 2 1250kv motors and I will aim to 60mph on 6s.

Something to think about...

-Pate

I’m expecting this week 2 props to test, both 3bld CNC from OSE, one is 52mm and the other is 50mm. Also a 2bld CNC of 55mm.
    I am used to gas boats and 70-75mm props, and now I’m trying to start and probably convert some of my gas boats to FE. The biggest prop that I have at this time are, Octura M445, X648, a Prather 230 and a GrimRacer 42 x 55 from my Nitro Shockwave.
    I´m not sure if these smalls props can put in plane this Cat, I´m learning.
    This Atomik ARC 58 is going to be my real entrance to testing, gathering and learning from all of you.
    Thank you to all for all the info you are giving me.
    Lenny, thank you very much for giving me the members to contact!
    English is not my first language and sorry if sometimes I write nonsense things.

Hey glad to help out,
    I looked at some of your vids with the gas boats and buggies you have and they look like they run nice.

Hear is some prop info if you need it down the line.

Basics info hear.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/propeller-chart.php
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...highlight=list

Jay aka Fluid, Prop files hear.
    http://www.impba.net/index.php/boate...-charts/octura
    http://www.impba.net/index.php/boate...rop-charts/abc
    http://www.abcprops.com/proppdf/PROPSHEET%281104%29.pdf
    http://www.funrcboats.com/prop_chart1.htm
    http://www.modelgasboats.com/prop-chart/

What is your first language Chris ?
    As for English you are doing fine,
    I was born hear and I write nonsense all the time.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Thanks Lenny, I'm from Greek family, born in Panama Rep of Panama, first lang greek, spanish....then later english.
    I worked 12 years in the PPC Panama Canal Com. when was US admin. You can see my Mag57 runing in the Panama Canal jejejejej!!
    I am addict with the rc hobby, in one trip to FL I went and met Tony C. from warehousehobbies/bonzisport now... and a Magnum 57 was my first real gas boat, still running amazing!!!!
    And now trying to make my ARC 58 more fun

I have a big cat hull that I need to put back together some day,
    It had a blow over at 80 mph and the guy was selling just the hull with no hardware.
    So I need to find hardware for it and still fix the hull up,
    I picked up a brand new 26cc KOS P1 motor to try and run in it.
    This is what I have so far for it,
    You see it sitting next to a 37"Daytona in the one picture.

Gas cat.jpgGas cat 2.jpgbig gas cat 010.jpgBig Cat & Daytona 001.jpgBig Cat & Daytona 006.jpg

Hear are some links of it's first build before I got it,
    Let me know if they work ok.

http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=61279
    http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=61927
    http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=63641

? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Ray,
    Weight: 10.57lbs (without batteries)
    Length: 53.5in/1360mm

You need a BIG motor or twins. Thats heavy but, normal for that size of boat. A big 56mm diameter TP Power motor on 10-12S would do the trick. 600- 800 kv and your big prop it came with.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hey Guys,

I have the ARC 58 and am happy with the stock performance running 2) 6s 5800's in parallel. I'm getting nice 8min run times with the packs still sitting in the upper 3.7's.

So I'm posting cause the motor is running pretty hot so I want to change it out but want to keep running the same packs and ESC (v2 180amps)

I am wanting to run the leopard 5692 1090kv but don't need the 60 plus mph speeds finest racing is getting. I am wondering if anyone knows what that motor will do on 6s? It is 10 less kv than the stock motor and is an inrunner vs outrunner, it is obviously a larger motor so not sure if that makes up the difference in kv??? I just don't want to put that motor in and loose any performance, a nice bump would be nice but not necessary!

Any feedback would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6672 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have the ARC 58 and am happy with the stock performance running 2) 6s 5800's in parallel. I'm getting nice 8min run times with the packs still sitting in the upper 3.7's.

So I'm posting cause the motor is running pretty hot so I want to change it out but want to keep running the same packs and ESC (v2 180amps)

I am wanting to run the leopard 5692 1090kv but don't need the 60 plus mph speeds finest racing is getting. I am wondering if anyone knows what that motor will do on 6s? It is 10 less kv than the stock motor and is an inrunner vs outrunner, it is obviously a larger motor so not sure if that makes up the difference in kv??? I just don't want to put that motor in and loose any performance, a nice bump would be nice but not necessary!

Any feedback would be great!
    I am at this speed with a different prop. I did not run the current combo with the stock prop. We will run the stock prop when we go back out. I would like to know the difference in speed with prop sizes. Don't be fooled by this boat going 60mph on a lake. Remember the size of the boat and the size of the lake or where you are running. At 60mph, it was not bouncing all over and hard to control. It was a smooth ride. I was actually surprised to see how it was handling the water without any tweaking. I do have the hull marked at the 30% point. So far this has been working with all my boats. When the video is available, we will all see the smooth ride. Who ever came up with the 30% theory was brilliant. Even with the battery tray separated, the boat was still great at full speed. LOL When accelerating and decelerating she was all over. Your thought on using 12s - 1090 x 22.2= 24,198. My goal was to be near 30,000 to be efficient. With my combo - 1090 x 29.6=32,264.
    I am not sure if this would be the way to go (24,198) I am not sure if this would cause the ESC, batteries and the motor to get hot. The stock set up with the 1,100kv motor and a 12s set up would be 24,420. The stock setup was also an out drive which will run a little cooler.
    Good Luck.

Sounds good, but you won't be able to use the stock motor mount with that motor. Once you put a jacket on it it will be too wide for the mount. I would think the leopard would gain you a little speed being that it is probably more efficient than the stock outrunner, but you may be pushing the limits of that 180 amp esc. I did run a leopard 5692 1340kv on 6s with the t-180 esc with success. But that was in a 45-inch hull.

Ive been waiting for the motor or esc to quit in my ARC since I got it two years ago. I have the first version with the 120A esc. and I run a single 5800mah 25-50c 6s pack. Still running..........But the motor gets extremely hot. Last time I ran it I could smell it starting to burn. The out runner relies on lots of air to keep cool. Unfortunately the water cooled motor mount doesn't do much good, and the air flow through the hull is minimal at best. Eventually I will upgrade.

I had to make a front mount for the motor. I reused the sides. I bought the aluminum flat stock at Lowes. Installing the screws are tedious. You will need patience. It is a very tight fit but will work. After I cut the aluminum, I drilled the four holes - one in each corner to secure it to the side mounts. Then drill the holes for the screws to secure the motor to the mount.

Yeah, it would have been nice if they left the rail spacing @ 5" like the gas versions. I have the 56" P-1 converted. It has 5" rails and there is tons of room.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Sounds good, but you won't be able to use the stock motor mount with that motor. Once you put a jacket on it it will be too wide for the mount. I would think the leopard would gain you a little speed being that it is probably more efficient than the stock outrunner, but you may be pushing the limits of that 180 amp esc. I did run a leopard 5692 1340kv on 6s with the t-180 esc with success. But that was in a 45-inch hull.

Well on 6s the 1090 leopard should be fine with the 180amp ESC.... I have heard the stock set up is pulling 110-120 so even if it went up 10-20 amps it would still have headroom!

Does anyone have any real world expierence with the 1090 in this boat on just 6s??

Quote Originally Posted by Finest Racing View Post
    I had to make a front mount for the motor. I reused the sides. I bought the aluminum flat stock at Lowes. Installing the screws are tedious. You will need patience. It is a very tight fit but will work. After I cut the aluminum, I drilled the four holes - one in each corner to secure it to the side mounts. Then drill the holes for the screws to secure the motor to the mount.

That was how I was going to do it. Where did you get the coupler and what size is it??

Show us some pics/ vids...come on guys...some us are frozen in for the next few months....throw us a bone!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast