Thread: 2 blades vs. 3 blades

Default 2 blades vs. 3 blades

this might be a dumb question. I've been reading about 2 blade prop gets on plain faster, better hold shots, and about equal top speed as 3 blade prop for the SV27. my question is why make 3 blades props especially for the SV27? I've raced jet ski's back in the days and the industries standards are all 3 blades. There was a 4 blades impeller but never caught on.

My experience is that 3 blade have higher top end than a 2 blade equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    My experience is that 3 blade have higher top end than a 2 blade equivalent.
    That's been my experience too. I have also found that some particular boats run better with a 2 blade. While other boats run better on a 3 blade.

Jay

It's all about Traction. Just like a fatter or Sticky tire on a car. with a 2 blade prop 1 blade is always out of the water with a 3 blade there is always a blade in the water. Smoother but Higher amp draw. Most SAW applications use 2 blade setups. Also 3 blade props will give more lift.

another question.. what is SAW? I see that used alot
    Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    It's all about Traction. Just like a fatter or Sticky tire on a car. with a 2 blade prop 1 blade is always out of the water with a 3 blade there is always a blade in the water. Smoother but Higher amp draw. Most SAW applications use 2 blade setups. Also 3 blade props will give more lift.

Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    another question.. what is SAW? I see that used alot
    "Straightaway", high speed runs.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    1/2 again more amp draw.

my question is why make 3 blades props especially for the SV27?

The 3 blade plastic prop that comes with the SV27 runs OK. It was put on the RTR boat to give respectable speeds without burning up something. If you put on a Grimracer 3 blade 40mm prop or an Octura 440/3 you would get more speed.

its not just the blade, you're talking about a plastic vs a metal prop. A lot of people like the 3 blade prop for racing the SV's, speed is not the only thing a prop does, and different props work differently in different water, I've used a 447/2 at home and gone other places with the same exact boat and used a 450/3 with almost the same results? theres a lot of different vaiables, you have to do the research, take notes, write the prop sizes you use in the hull of the boat, and write on the prop what boat you used it on etc... thats why I have 200+ props in my prop box!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

200+props. wow!! I'm just looking to buy 1 or maybe 2 for my SV27 and call it. looking @ CFN 2 blade 40mm price is right, Prather 215, Octura X642, or GrimRacer 42-55
    Thanks for all replies,

Is this on the stock motor? X642 works well on the SV. X437/3 and x440/3 both work well. Less torque roll then a 642. Not sure if this had anything to do with the prop but I landed right side up more often when using a 440/3 vs larger diameter 2 bladders

got a chance to try the Grimrace 42x55 2 blade prop on my SV27 (try it before buy it). it just happen to come stock on my new Revolt 30. I really like it, much better then stock 3 blade. gets on plan and accelerate much quicker, top speed seems about the same which is fine.

Yes,
    I like the x440/3 on my modded Rio ep.
    And agree that it has less torque roll on the mono,
    I hit 41.6 on 3s 30c 5300mah with a 2600kv motor yesterday and that was at 3/4 throttle so far.
    It need to run a little wetter before I can go faster and say on the water to.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    got a chance to try the Grimrace 42x55 2 blade prop on my SV27 (try it before buy it). it just happen to come stock on my new Revolt 30. I really like it, much better then stock 3 blade. gets on plan and accelerate much quicker, top speed seems about the same which is fine.
    most anything is better than those stock plastic props.. and the Grim 4255 prop is a really nice one!
    I use that in heat racing..
    it's a great prop
    next you may want to try a X445 2 blade

I do like the way 3 blade props run on monos though...
    they seem to smooth things out, but use about 15-20% more battery during a race depending on my setup
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s