Thread: mini ecco question

Default mini ecco question

Whats the best thing to use to lubricate the prop shaft?

The inline rudder makes it difficult to take out the solid shaft after every run, I have not run mine yet but I tried to take it out and the only way seemed possible is to wiggle it out VERY carefully---something I would hate to do after each single run. The bushing at the prop end has tight tolerance and the bearing at the motor end also is hard to remove. If I were to lube this thing myself, I would use heavy gear oil :http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=SL2432 . I put this stuff in a plastic bottle with a long needle ( an oiler, if you can find one with a small enough nozzle). With the solid shaft pulled half way out, boat pointing straight up, I drip the oil into the stuffing tube ball bearing at the motor end, making sure the ball bearing is well oiled, push and pull the shaft several times to let the oil go further into the stuffing tube and finally oil the exposed half from the prop end, making sure the bushing is oiled as well. Because the tight tolerance, I think grease will not be entirely practical, it will be "squeezed out" by the brass bushing as one pushes the solid shaft into the stuffing tube. If you have one of the ProBoat grease pump, then perhaps you can pump into the brass bushing.
    I use this oil on ALL my Tenshock boats, two Samurai and a Micro Hydro and Starship Outrigger. They are easier to lube but the ball bearings in their strut need heavy duty oil.
    Minicatusa recommands a blend of STP and motor oil such as Mobil1 10W-30. The viscosity of the blend is similar to the gear oil I use, I have used both versions and they all worked well for me. I can't remember the specific name of the STP but be sure that it is not a thin liquid such as crank case sludge cleaner that one puts in before the oil change, it is a thick conditioner, if I remember correctly. and sorry, i am partial to all Tenshock boats!
    Last edited by tlandauer; 04-05-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks for your help.I will try gear oil.

Tlandauer bought the gear oil works great!! Thank you.
    River cat,Aquacraft revolt,Mini mono,DF 33,DF29.

Quote Originally Posted by eboeske View Post
    Tlandauer bought the gear oil works great!! Thank you.
    Glad it worked out, happy boating!
    Cheers!

I think the eco is still my favorite fast boat.