Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lipos for the buck ??

I've said it before, but there are few comparable performers, for me they have been Thunder Power and Hyperion. I currently have about 35 Lipos from 2-6s, almost all of them are now Thunder Power 65c packs. The switchover to TP(I have run Venom, Gens Ace, Turnigy, MaxAmps, Protek, Losi as well) for me is based very much on their warranty. With a receipt and no crash damage I have gotten 100% replacements(several) and even upgrades, with no receipt, on packs(years old) that were in tough enough shape(even partially dismantled) that I would otherwise throw them out, they give you 50% cost to replace. I have probably sent them over 20 packs, and have never been dissapointed. To me, this alone is worth an extra couple bucks over the comparable brands, as I haven't really heard of any other manufacturer even coming close to this kind of support on lipos.
    $.02

I have tried most of the value batteries. Turnigy,Nano's,Gens,etc. Have to start somewhere. I have about 12 Hyperion packs and just broke in some Dinogy's. So far I can safely say the next record trials I go to will be with Dinogy's. I do have one pair of 3S 40C Turnigys that for some reason perform as good or better than the Hyperions I have. Got lucky as I many have others that bit the dust. Nanotech never again waste money there. Dinogy from here forward.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

I placed an order for the Chinahobby branded lipos??
    not sure if thats the right name for them...
    just giving them a shot..
    my GENS 25C packs worked really well this past Sunday in my PMono!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Interested in the China Hobby Line batteries too. Heard some good comments on them in other forums.

I have been satisfied with the Sky Lipo 4s 5000mah 40c , however, Hobbypartz is ALWAYS out of them, I bit the bullet and ordered Grim Racer packs at a premium, it's the 4s 5000mah 40c. ( with TowerHobbies $50 discount towards a $300 purchase ). Will see how they are. Next I will look into Dinogy, they are out of stock for what I was looking for.

Guys just please stay away from Maxamps they are rediculous in their claims and are the ONLY batteries I have had go UP in flames in a boat!!! They have NO Idea how much power we can use in boat racing, I actually spoke with them about their 120C????? batteries and made them a challenge and they wouldn't accept it. I probably have more Lipo's than most guys and brands too, I have 450+ packs totalling 650-700 lbs and everything from 1-12 cell and 150mah to 15,000mah and LOTS of different brands, from the cheapie cheap to the most expensive and have spent LOTS of$$ over the past 6-7years and If I had it all to do over and they were available I would buy all Dinogy batteries for my boats, they are not just the best bang for the buck but are the BEST batteries I have used.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Mike, please let us know when you have three years and or 300+ cycles on your Dinogys.

Thank you sir!

Doug, I never get that many cycles on my boat batteries because I always have enough packs to run 3-4 heats in a day, and mostly I will go no more than 2 seasons w batteries as the technology usually changes, but I do have guys in my club still running my 4-6 year old stuff (enerland/Hyperion) and are still running well. I do have 40-50 cycles on my 4S 2650's that are only a couple of months old that I use in my planes and they are still getting better with each flight, I do use these a lot more because it's much easier to fly 20-30 packs a day with planes than it is to run boats. These packs I use in Extremeflight 48" planes total crazy 3D stuff and would get 6-7 minutes with Hyperion, gens ace and Blue Lipo packs, flights of 9 minutes at full 3D craziness are well within the Dinogys limits with very little to no power loss across the flight time, also an increase in 10-15% power is noticible, I actually had to readjust my flying because I have to use much less throttle to hover!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    Guys just please stay away from Maxamps they are rediculous in their claims .
    I believe every one here at OSE is fully aware of there claims...
    and there prices do not fall into the best lipos for the buck

right now my 25C Gens are doing great in my PMono
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I m happy to find this thread cuz i am looking for lipo , until now , i tried the cheap way , yes i bought nano tech lipo , the 8400 mah suppose to be 40c but the are ok for around fun bashing , but when i pull the trigger , no no , nothing very good, they don't perform ! I was looking for maxamps dual core 8000 mah , but i saw here that it is not recommend for boat , so i read more and found that you ,guys, try the dinogy one , i order them and can't wait to try !

Great Rule
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

2S or 4S ? No problems with my Grim 4S at all.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Have you tested these packs out yet? I ordered a 4s 4500mah 50c for $42 shipped earlier just wondering if you have any feedback yet for the ones you got?

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    Have you tested these packs out yet? I ordered a 4s 4500mah 50c for $42 shipped earlier just wondering if you have any feedback yet for the ones you got?
    I've gotten two runs on them, and so far I do like them...

I've gotten two runs on them, and so far I do like them...
    What would you compare them to..Or is it to early to be asking? 5-10 cycles most change so I am probably jumping the gun about asking.
    Last edited by jim82; 05-02-2013 at 01:30 AM.

I have been challenged on this many times but after using many different lipos in my boats, 1/8 trugee, slash, and planes. I have concluded the following. My experience has been Max amps batteries are the best. They are expensive but I have never had in fail, puff,etc and trust me I have put them through the ringor. I sunk a boat a few months ago. Recovered battery next day and it was fine. I really like their race edition hard packs for 3 and 4 and the XL 6000 mah 3s packs for single use or 2p for 6s. The 5450 5s packs are great for parallel on many boats. You can buy a cheaper battery that may or may not last.

When I started with rc I bought the cheaper packs only to have them fail. If you are going to use them for a long time bite the bullet and get good equipment. This is good advice for any equipment. You will always want to run faster and longer no matter what the application. Another bit of advice. Buy a larger esc than you think you will need to have the capacity for upgrades. Burn up one hull or god forbid set one on fire in your garage and all the money you saved on cheap packs becomes meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bduncan View Post
    I have been challenged on this many times but after using many different lipos in my boats, 1/8 trugee, slash, and planes. I have concluded the following. My experience has been Max amps batteries are the best. They are expensive but I have never had in fail, puff,etc and trust me I have put them through the ringor. I sunk a boat a few months ago. Recovered battery next day and it was fine. I really like their race edition hard packs for 3 and 4 and the XL 6000 mah 3s packs for single use or 2p for 6s. The 5450 5s packs are great for parallel on many boats. You can buy a cheaper battery that may or may not last.

When I started with rc I bought the cheaper packs only to have them fail. If you are going to use them for a long time bite the bullet and get good equipment. This is good advice for any equipment. You will always want to run faster and longer no matter what the application. Another bit of advice. Buy a larger esc than you think you will need to have the capacity for upgrades. Burn up one hull or god forbid set one on fire in your garage and all the money you saved on cheap packs becomes meaningless.
    this thread is about best lipo for the buck
    Max lipos are not even close to this...
    they are over priced and in no way deliver their C rated claims.. and they don't even live up to any performance hype to packs costing half their prices...
    the comments from many that cheap packs are junk or don't perform or puff or ...... etc..... are just bogus comments any more..

I just picked up some Chinahobby packs for dirt cheap and they perform great
    I think I only paid $53 each for 50C 4s 5000mah packs

What would you compare them to..Or is it to early to be asking? 5-10 cycles most change so I am probably jumping the gun about asking.
    yeah I need to run them in my JAE and OPC to get a real good feel for them...
    I've run them in my PMono in parallel so they don't get a huge workout cuz they share the load

They actually have some 150c. Guys keep in mind. Some of these high c ratings may exist in a split second burst and max amps will actually tell you that. It might be a slight edge to win a race. Like with anything you get diminishing marginal utility as you move up on anything.

Brushless 55. I would urge you to see the forest through the trees. What seems like a good value for the money is not always a good value long term. For instance let the pics and neg touch while putting a new connector on. Smoked in a second. I would rather buy quality equipment and pay the price verses replace lower quality equipment twice.

They actually have some 150c. Guys keep in mind. Some of these high c ratings may exist in a split second burst and max amps will actually tell you that. It might be a slight edge to win a race. Like with anything you get diminishing marginal utility as you move up on anything.
    everyone knows max uses bogus C rating claims... even you admit "they may" exist....
    so a 6500mah 150c max pack is rated fo 975amps!

Brushless 55. I would urge you to see the forest through the trees. What seems like a good value for the money is not always a good value long term. For instance let the pics and neg touch while putting a new connector on. Smoked in a second. I would rather buy quality equipment and pay the price verses replace lower quality equipment twice.
    tell me how this confusing comment justifies the markup and bogus C ratings of max lipos???
    or says lower priced packs are junk because of "your" comments ... or has anything at all to do with my thread......
    do that with your so called 975amp lipo and see what happens

I've actually blown out two 5.5mm bullets with one of my Turnigy 40C packs when the connectors accidentily touched and the lipo works great still today...
    and also with a pair of Grim packs

Todd check your PMs.

Keep in mind that EVERYONE is entitled to his opinion / experience fellas.
    Please keep this thread in the middle of the road.

yeah I need to run them in my JAE and OPC to get a real good feel for them...
    I've run them in my PMono in parallel so they don't get a huge workout cuz they share the load
    I now have about 15-20 cycles on the 4s 4500mah 50c...I ran it in my JAE yesterday great results 51.5mph and seems to keep power through out...Lipo temps were only 10* above what outside air temp was after the run..

I now have about 15-20 cycles on the 4s 4500mah 50c...I ran it in my JAE yesterday great results 51.5mph and seems to keep power through out...Lipo temps were only 10* above what outside air temp was after the run..
    sounds like good news Jim
    we have a two day race coming up this next weekend, and I should be able to put them through the paces

Today a friend was running his Genesis cat with a Turnigy 4082 1600kv on 6s 2x 3s 5000mah Zippys in series. Hes been running this boat for a couple of years now so set up is not bad & only sport running for 2 - 3 mins runtimes. 1 off the Zippys puffed & split 1 of the cells wide open. Glad ive bought Dinogys now.

any more runs on those bro??

Nah..I took a break today

Exclamation

Cheap Chinese packs are always a risk. Yesterday a club member replaced his old 5000mAh/25C ThunderPower packs with brand new Turnigy Nanos. The TPs were several years old and while they still worked he wanted "fresh packs". He ran his 10S catamaran for two minutes with the TP packs and brought it in - everything was fine, no heat. He put in the Nanos and after 90 seconds.....see below. This is the second time in two years I've seen the Nanos do the same thing - and only a few club members run them.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Besides this Zippy pack puffing & splitting yesterday 2 other guys both puffed Turnigy blue packs as well sport running. One of the Turnigy blue packs looked that puffed it looked like it wasw about to explode, the pack was virtually completally round where it had puffed that much. When i look back at the number of cheap lipos friends have destroyed with very little use over the years it is false economy not buying better cells in the first place.

so where do you buy dinogy packs. www.dinogylipos.com does not work!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast