Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lipos for the buck ??

The "Golden Rule" of FE boats applies to batteries as well!

Cheap,Fast,Reliable...pick any two!

Gens Ace are a good choice and cheaper than any other lipo that I've seen.

still looking for ones that have some of the best power out there
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

If it's power you want then see what the SAW and 2-lap guys are using. You won't see many (any) GensAce or MaxAmps or Nanotechs in use where power is of paramount importance.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'd stay away from gens ace , I have 4 4 s packs that won't hold 14.8 over a 20 amp draw and if i up the draw to say 60 amps the voltage sags to 12 ,probably only got 10 or so cycles out of Em before they started acting like this thout the lvc on my esc was acting up untill i tested them on the bench with a airplane prop and a watt meter. i have two other ones that are sagging to ~14.0v under a 60 amp load but at least they kinda work. Packs were always ran in a 2p configuration and they are rated at 110 amps continuous by them selves so I would think 200 together would be no problem for them. This was in boats with p lim power so not like a power hungry set up.

My next packs will be from dinogylipos.com. I've seen mark and tony put them though there paces and even a little abuse and they seem pretty solid. Tony has set records using them and mark either has or has been close just no back up pass. You are actually the first person I've heard of that has had a cell go bad, was that after the 6 month warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    If it's power you want then see what the SAW and 2-lap guys are using. You won't see many (any) GensAce or MaxAmps or Nanotechs in use where power is of paramount importance.

I agree Jay...
    wish these guys would chime in here...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I've set SAW records with ThunderPower 65C and Hyperion 45C packs. Frankly I didn't see much difference between the two.

I've set SAW records with ThunderPower 65C and Hyperion 45C packs. Frankly I didn't see much difference between the two.

Jay, do you think you could have propped up even more with the 65C or those packs are just to close in power to make any difference?

Just my opinion, but since I have only used Venom, Turnigy, and Zippy, I can only regurgitate what I have read over alot of time. I have read over and over that Venoms suck, but my 2 best packs that are stilling putting out are some 3s 4000 20c Venoms...............still charge up to 12.5v after 4 years!!!! I use them only in my Villains pulling 60-80 amps however, but they are still going strong, Just an honest "hands on" user of Venoms speaking here. Of the Hobbyking brands, Zippy/Flightmax are better than Turnigy. I also believe that Maxamps are highly inflated pricewise as well as performancewise.............hence the Max-craps name used by RC folks I would imagine. Hyperions that Steven sells seem to have good feedback from real FE users. Sky Lipos are possibly Turnigy's in disguise, although folks really like Gen's Ace, which both can be found at NitroRCX.

If i was forced to pick a pair of packs to run the final heat in a tight race, based on what I have heard and read over years, I would have to go with a set of Thunderpowers to bring home the Trophy............and no I dont own any, but being on the "experienced" boat forums as much as I am, I can obviously form a semi-expert opinion of a product that i have never owned......................kinda like when we all 'heard' about Leopards a while back but didnt own any, but we knew they were good based on others experiences.............the 'others' were right.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Cool

Jay, do you think you could have propped up even more with the 65C or those packs are just to close in power to make any difference?
    I tried in 2011 but I think I ran out of motor. Voltage depression at 300 amps is big with any pack, even a "65C" pack - I was pulling more amps but going no faster. The little Castle 1515/1Y was maxed out on 6S in the 32" cat. I went nearly as fast on 4S with a larger Neu 1521...same pack too (used a 2S and 4S to make 6S).

I tried in 2011 but I think I ran out of motor. Voltage depression at 300 amps is big with any pack, even a "65C" pack - I was pulling more amps but going no faster. The little Castle 1515/1Y was maxed out on 6S in the 32" cat. I went nearly as fast on 4S with a larger Neu 1521...same pack too (used a 2S and 4S to make 6S).

understood..
    another thing I am now looking into is going NEU in my PMono vs TP Power and Leopard...
    I really want to be as competitive as I can on the race waters...
    and focus on my driving to win races...

Jay, have you seen the 90C packs Hyperion has?
    thanks

I have a grim racer pack won at a contest. Never has had connectors installed. Stored at storage voltage It just decided to puff up like a football without ever being used. It's stored in an air conditioned facility. I don't call that great luck with Grimm Racer packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I use Thunder Power, which have been fantastic, but have also seen great things from the GrimRacer packs, and also more recently from the Dinogy packs that Mark F. sells.... Both are very reasonably priced...
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Check these packs out. I'm using them exclusively now. Great results. Reasonable price. Warehouse in the USA and the best customer support I've seen. IF you get a bad pack (which can happen to any brand), hook it to a meter, take a picture, email to them and they'll send you a new pack and you DO NOT HAVE TO SEND THE PACK BACK! My hyperions are starting to break down, some getting puffy, and I take care of my packs like a mother hen!

www.haiyinstore.com These packs are GREAT!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Check these packs out. I'm using them exclusively now. Great results. Reasonable price. Warehouse in the USA and the best customer support I've seen. IF you get a bad pack (which can happen to any brand), hook it to a meter, take a picture, email to them and they'll send you a new pack and you DO NOT HAVE TO SEND THE PACK BACK! My hyperions are starting to break down, some getting puffy, and I take care of my packs like a mother hen!

I'm gonna get a couple of these...Thanks for the link!

I'm up and down on these Haiyin packs...
    had one puff up and didn't even run it that hard and taken down to only 35-40% left

email haiyin and see what they say. I have never had one even think about puffing and I've run it all the way down to cutoff. Not even warm. Sounds like you're way over amping to make that happen. That will happen with any brand pack. I used to use nothing but Hyperions (high priced) and they puffed pretty bad. My haiyins will take the same punishment as I put the hyperions through and keep on tickin while staying Skinny.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

email haiyin and see what they say. I have never had one even think about puffing and I've run it all the way down to cutoff. Not even warm. Sounds like you're way over amping to make that happen. That will happen with any brand pack. I used to use nothing but Hyperions (high priced) and they puffed pretty bad. My haiyins will take the same punishment as I put the hyperions through and keep on tickin while staying Skinny.
    No Jim no over amping...
    I do keep things in check with that...
    I think I ran this in my PSpec OPC or my PMono on 4s2p that go around... came back with just a slight puff then after a couple months storage if buffed real nice and tight.. I did make it into a 3s pack though
    either way it was not ran below 35 or 40% left in the pack.. and I think that was on its second run and the first go around it was only ran to 50% as I was trying props on my PMono..
    motor and esc came back at 90-95* on both that day so things ran real nice with those packs

I did get a replacement but still kinda not sure what to think of them... they look and perform every bit as my Turnigy 40C packs
    I think they are the same

I am giving some Gens 25C packs a try cuz I keep hearing nothing but good on the 25C packs

we shall see...

but still looking to try what ever will give me the most power for my money

I believe some Turnigy packs are Haiyins, not sure how many or which ones out of the vast number HK do. But im told that the new Turnigy A Spec Nanos 65c-130c packs are Haiyin Scorpion Competition packs.

Brushless, sounds like you did everything right! I don't believe there is anyone making perfect packs. They ALL can puff, die, arrive doa, etc.

All I'm saying is that my Haiyin packs have outlasted my Hyperions at a fraction of the cost and I am a hyperion dealer and would defend them strongly. But when I tried the Haiyins, I dropped the hyperions.

I do know for a fact that Haiyin has their own factory. They are not just relabeled like most everyone else's packs. I SERIOUSLY doubt that there is any relationship between Turnigy and Haiyin. I have never had a GOOD turnigy, zippy, rhino, etc etc etc hobbyking pack. NEVER. I would order 2 to 6 packs in an order and at least one pack would be doa. They would puff very easily. They had very short lifespan in terms of cycles.

I don't believe Haiyin is selling Scorpion packs. They are manufacturing the high performance packs FOR Scorpion.

I've heard good things about Gens Ace also.

At any rate, maybe Eric could chime in here to enlighten us about some of these questions that have been raised.

I freely admit that some of these things are strictly my opinion and not based on any secret knowledge.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Haiyin have the Scorpion packs for sale on the Haiyin site along with their other packs. The Scorpion packs also has the Haiyin logo on the packs so good to know their not trying to hide anything re makers.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I believe some Turnigy packs are Haiyins, not sure how many or which ones out of the vast number HK do. But im told that the new Turnigy A Spec Nanos 65c-130c packs are Haiyin Scorpion Competition packs.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Haiyin have the Scorpion packs for sale on the Haiyin site along with their other packs. The Scorpion packs also has the Haiyin logo on the packs so good to know their not trying to hide anything re makers.
    they are the same HK to Haiyin..
    but with Haiyin you have the warranty that is pretty fast for a replacement

Brushless, sounds like you did everything right! I don't believe there is anyone making perfect packs. They ALL can puff, die, arrive doa, etc.

All I'm saying is that my Haiyin packs have outlasted my Hyperions at a fraction of the cost and I am a hyperion dealer and would defend them strongly. But when I tried the Haiyins, I dropped the hyperions.

I do know for a fact that Haiyin has their own factory. They are not just relabeled like most everyone else's packs. I SERIOUSLY doubt that there is any relationship between Turnigy and Haiyin. I have never had a GOOD turnigy, zippy, rhino, etc etc etc hobbyking pack. NEVER. I would order 2 to 6 packs in an order and at least one pack would be doa. They would puff very easily. They had very short lifespan in terms of cycles.
    very good to know your results Hyperion vs Haiyin...

I've not had a Turnigy puff or go bad on me from use
    but the Haiyin puffed on its second use and puffed bad... but I got a new one fairly fast

all packs all brands can puff or good bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    they are the same HK to Haiyin..
    but with Haiyin you have the warranty that is pretty fast for a replacement
    Yes you will get a better customer service from Haiyin, but you must also factor in price for the same battery. The packs im interested in are the Haiyin Scorpion 3s 4500mah 65c-130c which sell for $80.80 against the Turnigy A Spec 3s 4500 65c-130c at $54.50 ( 33% cheaper ) but with no customer service worth having.

Thanks Jim, just ordered two 4s, 5000mah 40c.
    I had good luck on Skylipo 4s, 5000mah 40 C packs, but only their 4s, never an issue, I don't race, but I put them thru the paces. Xheli.com is always out of stock and was looking something in this neighborhood in terms of price.
    My ideal measurement would be like the Skylipo which is square like 40mmx40mmx135mm, the Haiyin is flatter but taller, will see what I need to do with the mounting situation.
    +1 on the US Warehouse and customer service.

I've got to be with Sailor on this.
    I've got 10 Haiyin 4s 5000mah packs & two 6s packs that I race with. Much better packs than the Zippy, Turnigy or Nano tech packs that I've run. Cell IR's are much lower & the packs are all still solid. Even the one that I drained to zero at the Nationals last year when I had to do an extra lap for jumping the start. And it's been run just about every weekend since then.
    They even beat boats that run Hyperion & Thunderpower packs. Not always, but sometimes. But it's not just batteries that get you over the line first. Many other factors & for me, quite a bit of luck.
    But I've found these 60C packs from Chinahobbyline to be very impressive too lately.
    http://www.chinahobbyline.com/product.asp?typeid=30

I would really like to try some of Marks' Dinogy packs but the freight to Australia is just too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    I've got to be with Sailor on this.
    I've got 10 Haiyin 4s 5000mah packs & two 6s packs that I race with. Much better packs than the Zippy, Turnigy or Nano tech packs that I've run. Cell IR's are much lower & the packs are all still solid. Even the one that I drained to zero at the Nationals last year when I had to do an extra lap for jumping the start. And it's been run just about every weekend since then.
    They even beat boats that run Hyperion & Thunderpower packs. Not always, but sometimes. But it's not just batteries that get you over the line first. Many other factors & for me, quite a bit of luck.
    But I've found these 60C packs from Chinahobbyline to be very impressive too lately.
    http://www.chinahobbyline.com/product.asp?typeid=30

I would really like to try some of Marks' Dinogy packs but the freight to Australia is just too much for me.
    Very good info. Thanks and it's good to know more real world experiences with the Haiyin. Ditto on the Dinogy, love them but I am not looking at that level price wise, I understand some will say " you get what you paid for", if I race, I def. will try.

Very interesting Jim......

Wow, just got word that my order has been shipped! Talk about fast service, anxious to see how they perform.

Thumbs up

hey Jim I forgot to say I do like my Haiyins but I started this thread looking for more punch
    they run good but my Giant Power lipos do work and perform better... I think I paid $63 each shipped for them (5000mah 4s)
    but I am still looking for even more punch and I'm not sure I care about costs right now

I do like my Haiyin 2s packs a bunch!
    they for some reason develop more speed and power wired in series than a single Haiyin 4s pack
    I own 4 2s 5000mah 40C packs and 5 4s 5000mah 40C packs along with a single 3s 2200mah 40C pack

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast