Thread: How to replace stuffing tube?

Default How to replace stuffing tube?

Hi,

The flex-shaft broke between the end of the stuffing tube and motor coupler and shred the stuffing tube.
    Any tips or techniques on how to remove or repair the stuffing tube in the MC hull are appreciated.

Pete

MC damaged stuffing tube.jpg

Heat the brass tube with a soldering iron until the epoxy lets go, then pull it out.

I just did mine yesterday.....used a propane torch for a few seconds, with a bit of twisting and force, it came out without any hull damage.

I CAREFULLY use a cut off wheel on the dremel, remove the epoxy from the top of the stuffing tube so that only the bottom half is held by the epoxy and then i heat it with the soldiering iron and it pulls out pretty easily and leaves a nice clean area to install the new stuffing tube. You can also use a sanding drum if your not confident with a cut off wheel, just takes a little longer
    Cars and planes are for fun... Boats are for serious racing Bust Out Another Thousand

Heat it up with hair dryer and pull it out

Using my wife's hairdryer, at the entry point on the bottom of the hull, all was loosened and easily removed.

Thanks for the tips.

Pete