Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio EP prop help.

Default Rio EP prop help.

I have a Rio EP running 90 amp seaking ESC & 1800 kv motor on 3s. I've heard that the x440/3 is a good prop for it. Anybody running a setup like mine? What prop would be good?

I personally prefer 2-blade prop, x440 is a good start, i think x442 will work, I am using the stock prop with good results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSzhyfHF3w.
    You would need the adapter for the x-series prop to fit the shaft if you are using the stock shaft.

I have a x442 and just ordered a x440/3 for my Genesis. I plan on trying both of them on the Rio. Yes I have the adapter for the shaft. What motor , ESC & battery are you using?

I was using the system out of my SC10 truck. 3300kv motor with the ESC that comes with it on 2s with stock prop. It was fast but got pretty hot , started using a 17.5 turn with same ESC & 2s. It barely got warm with that. Not sure what kv a 17.5 is tho.

You outta give an x440 2 blade a shot on 4s.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I am running a x440/3 on my Rio on 2s and 3s,
    And I thing the 3 blade helps stop the torque roll in this hull.
    But my setup inside the boat is pretty modded from stock.
    My cell set in back at the transom and in the center of the hull.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

I have a Proboat 1500kv motor on 4s. I am using Gens Lipo: http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-2s1p.html

Benjamin,
    Do you have any pictures of your setup you could post.
    Also do you have any video's of how it is running ?
    I tried 4s on my setup once and it was way to much power for the boat,
    On 3s the boat is looking to fly some times at full throttle.
    If you want I could post some video's of mine running on 2s and than 3s.
    Hear how I video's by my self,
    But I am using a better camcorder now on the tx.
    FC Daytona 012.jpgFC Daytona 013.jpg
    Last edited by lenny; 03-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Sorry Lenny , I don't have any pictures of the inside. I do have pictures of it on my page tho. When I get home from work in 2 weeks I will post some pictures of the inside. I'm running it with motor in stock spot & battery in stock spot. I did mount ESC in front of motor. I'll try to upload a video of it on 2s , 3300kv motor & stock prop.

I think the Rio EP is a great boat that people over look way to much. With a 17.5 turn 540 motor & with stock prop on 2s. I ran it for 14 mins , never got hot even without water cooling. Faster than stock too.

Yep,
    Mine I bought used on CL for 75.00.
    It was my first rc boat and the start of my addiction to RC stuff.
    And is still my favorite run any time boat.
    Yours looks pretty cool in blue and white.

I think my motor is a Hk 3656 2600kv,
    But not sure because I bought it in the swap shop on hear with no info on it and got lucky with it for this boat.

Pictures of 36 shockwave 057.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 056.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 055.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 053.jpgstands 028.jpg
    Last edited by lenny; 03-17-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

How did u get motor mount out? Did u cut it out & how. I tried to post a video of it but I can't find how to with a i-phone. Thank you, yea I had paint left over from painting my buggy body. I race 1/8 buggy and have a SCT10 crawler.

Your boat runs good on 3s. It runs dryer than mine on 2s.

I wanted to make it work with the stock mount,
    It's the stock mount in there.
    I just modded the holding strap,
    And put some bike tubing rubber pieces in under it to shim and grip the motor and jacket better.
    Last edited by lenny; 03-17-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Lenny gave me some good advice, I wanted to have minimum modification because the Rio EP was my rescue boat so I was toying with the idea that I can revert back to the brushed set up should I wanted to, therefore I left the radio box intact and merely "tucked" the wires out of way. I used the stock motor mount to clamp down the Proboat motor, all I did was to slide the water jacket back so it has a bit more area for the mount, I also used electrical tape to increase friction and diameter so it fits snug.
    Per Lenny's suggestion I moved the ESC on top of the motor ( I did make a ESC platform out of sheet metal). Originally I put the ESC at the stock battery platform, it did not allow the right COG.
    BTW, I have no torque-roll issues whatsoever with 4s.

Before:DSCN1907_1397.jpg
    After: DSCN1986_1474.jpg
    Last edited by tlandauer; 03-18-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Haha , I used bike tubing as well. I have videos of my Rio on 2s with 3300kv and with the 17.5 turn. Also have a video of my genesis but I can't find a way to upload them off my phone.

hey ben,prather 220 is a great prop to use.just make sure its balanced and sharpened.jeff

thunder power pro race 65c 2 s work really well and i get 25 mins run time just on and off throttle.

Ok thanks Jeff. I would like to up load videos to show yall but I can't find how to.

Hey guys. I couldn't upload videos on here so look on my YouTube channel 2001international73l to see videos of my boats.

Hear you go Benjamin.

Hey that last video is a teaser,

I want to see some run time to see how it is handling the setup.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Sorry about that Lenny. When I took that last video I had changed to a radio with a drop wheel. I can't drive it one handed like I could with my old radio. As u could tell , it hauls the mail. I promise you that when I get back home that I will shoot more videos of it. What did you think of the 17.5 turn? Oh and I got my genesis running smoother since that video. Only 3rd time running it in that video. I seen your vids on YouTube. Shame it was so windy but it ran great tho.

What the hell is a drop wheel ?
    Yes the 17.5 was not bad.
    And would like to see it hauling the mail a lot longer to see ride attitude of it.
    Are you using the stock trim tabs still ?
    I had made some trim tabs a little bigger for mine,
    The video of the 17.5 needed a port side trim tab adjustment down like 1/32",
    And I think it would run smoother for you like mine.
    Last edited by lenny; 03-18-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

By drop wheel I meant that the steering wheel is same level as the throttle trigger. It's a Spektum race radio. Yes the boat is all stock other than ESC & motor. I'm just starting to tear into this boat. I bought it for my dad , but he stopped using it so I took it over. On the 3300kv , even with the trim tabs all the way up it still runs wet at WOT.
    Last edited by Benjamin; 03-18-2013 at 08:18 PM.

You mean like a FS-gt3b or the tactic I posted pictures of with the camera on it.
    I need to see what the setup looks like inside the boat,
    To over look how the CG is and what can be done to help it to run aired out more.
    Get some pictures of it and put them in your PC picture and than you can upload them to hear.
    The You tube URL is a copy and past to hear to add video's hear,
    PITA but it works.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

The inside is same lay out as stock. The only thing different is that I put ESC forward of motor. I took stock ESC out cuz I burned it out..lol. I work on a towboat & I'm not due home till april 7th. Soon as I get home then I'll post pic's.

Ok, Sound good.
    I think the boats CG is to far forward on yours,
    Also when you painted the boat did you sand the bottom and live it ruff at the ride pad ?
    If not that would help get air under the hull to like mine,
    I did it to my hull when it was brushed to squeeze more speed out of it.
    I sanded it with 400 grit sand paper bow to stern, But did not paint it yet.
    I did a lot of modding to the boat when it was brushed chasing speed and ride attitude.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My dad used a green pad to rough it up. He raced a 16 foot Alison craft back in the 70's. He knows what makes a real boat go fast...lol. We kinda lost on r/c boats tho...lol. I posted a video from work on YouTube you should look at. I think you will find it interesting. Yes your right , the CG is to far forward. Planing on moving it behind motor. I will take b4 & after pictures.

Hey man nice Rio Lenny is right that last video is just a tease. I will also say that Lenny has helped me out alot with my Rio and any
    advice he gives you is good advice. Check out my youtube channel for videos of my Rio and I have pics here on my profile.

Here is my youtube channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Vids2469...ow=grid&view=0

Right now I have a 40mm proboat prop but I have to make a sleave for an SV27 3 blade prop I got last week can't wait to try it out.

At Lenny , I just got home and i upload a picture of the inside of my Rio for you. I ran them both today , lots of trash in water today. messed up both of my boats today. (

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast