Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling

Question Cooling

I took my Rio out for the first time yesterday and ran it till it could not plane anymore. The motor was very hot post run and was wondering if that is normal? Could a coil or jacket be installed? Anyone else modify the cooling at all? Thanks.

I was looking at the cooling hardware more in depth and noticed that the cooling tube that is zip tied to the motor is very loose and barely touches the plate. Even if it were tight only a sliver of the tube makes contact anyway because the tube is round, so cooling is not that good right off the bat. I am going to use stainless .020 safety wire to attach the tube and spread a lot of thermal heat sink compound to see if that helps. If that doesnt work too good then I will try to weld the tube to the plate. Anyone else modify their cooling system?????? Will try to post pic this weekend.

Every brushed boat ive ever run has got pretty hot. I wouldnt worry too much about it. The motors are cheap, and youd have to get it so hot it would melt the boat to really damage it quickly. But if you want to tinker, why not wrap the motor with tubing?

Here are some pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thought about that, but is there room to do it and still mount up ok?

Just looked at mine, and eye-balling it, i dont see a problem.

Wonder if one of those silicone ones would work?

I dont think it would transfer heat. Just grab a small diameter piece of brass tubing and give it a try (or aluminum. Probably easier to bend without kinking)

do you know much about brushless?

Yeah, what do you want to know?

I have a himax ha2025 5300 brushless motor and esc. What are your thoughts for mini rio?

Well, if not mistaken, the boats mounts are for a 28 mm motor roughly(yours is 20mm). I know a lot of ppl use the ammo 28mm series as basically a drop in. As far as that motor is concerned, there would be some trial and error on prop size, because that is a high rpm motor. Maybe some issues with enough torque to get it spinning good.

Try it if you have it already, worse case.......it wont be fast, then try something else.

The himax is a smaller dia. If i wrapped tubbing around it i wonder if that would bring it up to size. Do bl motors get hot like brushed? I just figured since i already have a bl motor maybe i should try it.

The diameter is really just an issue for mounting, wont affect anything else. To give you an idea of the torque difference: on an airplane, the himax spins a 3-5 in prop, and the ammos spin a 9-11 in prop. And they will get hot, but it tends to take a lot more to heat them up. They are very efficient and powerful.

Now to figure out a way to mount!

Good luck, let everyone know how it works.

will do!

Here is a video I made from saturday. I tried the brushless the next day but it made my batteries so hot i couldnt touch them so I converted back. I think the brushless needs a 3s pack not a 2s pack, ny suggestions?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l1ujJNRBjuk

It's not a 2S or 3S issue it's a C rating issue... and your pack doesn't have a high enough C rating for the brushless motor you're using. My Ammo 35-28-3900 and 2S 1250 mah 20C pack will get very warm / hot and that pack is good for 25amps.

Thanks for the info....I will have to do research on the c rating and my particular motor/esc. Interesting info.

Check out the cooling system on a mini rio here, scroll down to see pics.

http://www.subpirates.com/viewtopic....sd=a&start=840

Here are some pics of the coil I just fabricated. Its a little tight but it fits. I used brass/copper (not sure) and soldered it together thinking the solder would give more area to help the heat move to the water....we'll see!

More......

Quote Originally Posted by Junior5150 View Post
    Wonder if one of those silicone ones would work?
    Here's my ammo 28-35-2700 with a silicone water jacket!

Last edited by Diegoboy; 07-04-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

That ammo is brushless? What other hardware do you have to support it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    That ammo is brushless? What other hardware do you have to support it?
    Yes it's brushless...
    Here's my HW

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Those are the custom made rudders? Does anyone make anything semi bolt on thats similar?

No. you're right, they are custom made. They are also direct bolt on replacements. No mods needed to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    No. you're right, they are custom made. They are also direct bolt on replacements. No mods needed to install.
    Do you sell them? Does someone else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast