Thread: teflon liner

Unhappy teflon liner

I have a mystic 29 and trying to put a new teflon liner in the stuffing tube with poor results. I can only get it in about 1 inch. Have tried greasing it , running the old liner down the tube. the new liner just doesn't go in more than 1 or 2 inches

Stretch it! it will slide right in and shrink back over a few days. Just enough to make it fit!

Yep stretching works for me every time with a tight liner.

Thanks for the info . It worked great, the tube went right in. ( why didn't I think of that?) But it didn.t give me the results I wanted. I am trying to get rid of a loud screaching sound at about half throttle. I thought it might be a worn teflon tube but it is still there. I tried realigning the motor but that didn.t have much effect. Maybe you might have some ideas ?? Thanks again

Your welcome! Does it screech on the bench or when ur running it or both? Is ur prop balanced? Also theres a thread going now about this problem with another guy, i 'll find the link and post it here for you.

I checked out the info you mention. It sounds very much like the problem I have encountered. Yes I have balanced the prop. I too am questioning that it might be a bearing but will check that out tomorrow. I will take the motor out of my other boat and see how that works out. Mine makes the noise in and out of the water. I'll let you know how that works out. I appreciate your help. Thank you

Put some oil on the motor shafts at the bearings,
    And work it in some and run at low rpm a little.
    Now test it a couple time at high speeds and see if it sounds any better.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

OK here is the latest on my mystic 29.I disconnected the motor and ran it. it seemed very smooth with no unusual sound or vibration. I checked the balance on the prop and that was ok. I then put it back together and ran it. Still had screeching sound but noticed the stuffing tube was getting warm back by the strut. I removed the flex shaft and noticed the bushing in the strut looked worn with a little play when the shaft was in it. My next effort will be to replace the strut and flex shaft and see if that will solve the problem. If you can think of anything I might have overlooked don't hesitate to suggest it. Thanks
    Keith