Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAMBA SAW Time-Trial - March 22, 23, 24th at Legg Lake!

Congrats fellas!! Smokin fast boats!!
    Thanks for posting the vids Tony.
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 03-29-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    I believe seven or eight new records were set in the following classes:

T offshore
    S Offshore
    P Offshore(can't remember if a back up pass was made)
    S hydro
    Q hydro
    P Hydro
    M2 Mono
    Jersey Skiff

I don't have the official results yet, but I will say T Offshore was pushed close to 128mph, S hydro is close to 126mph, Q hydro is close to 128mph and P hydro is close to 117mph. Not sure about M2 mono, P Offshore and JS. Will get more details later on.

There were several passes just over 130mph

TG
    Wilmer is not sure on the M2 Mono it is like 44 or 45MPH on one cell.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Tks for sharing Tony, tks guys, nicely done... DJ

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Wilmer is not sure on the M2 Mono it is like 44 or 45MPH on one cell.
    As of Saturday he was at 42.638mph according to Kim's figure
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

OK, now that I am somewhat recovered from the weekend of SAW racing here is my highlight reel:
    The usual Legg Lake SAW cast of characters were present including Mark and Kim Grim, Don Maher, Howard Welch, Eldon Bouchie, Brian Buaas, Darin Jordan, Boyd Marshall, Mark Ferreira, Tony Heller, Thom Hammer, Brian Neal, Bill Oxidean and Steve and Jack O’Donnell, Jim Johnson, Scott Bouchie and a guest appearance by Martin Truex Jr.

As usual Kim Grim’s cooking was outstanding and her recent acquisition of a new larger BBQ for Xmas (thanks Mark) allowed her to cook giant steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs and carne aside enough to feed a large army. It is virtually impossible to leave hungry.

I brought four riggers to cover Q, S, T, and X in the hopes of besting my own Q hydro record and upping the S hydro record which has stood for many years. Mark Grim was running his X-hydro and his newly built CMB27 powered GX-2 rigger for some shakedown runs. Maher had his new twin out for some shakedown testing as well when the water was too rough to run SAW boats in. Maher also had his gear drive X-hydro out. Brian Buaas brought his P hydro with the goal of upping his existing record and setting a P-Ltd mono record with a bone stock Revolt. Darin brought his fleet of sub 20” boats including a M2 mono, N1 mono and a M2 rigger. Bill Oxidean also brought down his fleet of small boats including a M2 rigger, N1 Rigger , M2 mono and a N1 mono. Darin and Bill were fighting for tenths of a mile an hour. A straight pass versus a crooked pass makes a huge difference when it takes 4.5 seconds to trip the lights. Eldon brought out his Thunderboat and crackerbox for some fun runs. Boyd showed up with his fleet including dedicated boats P, Q, S & T offshore. All with twin power systems. Mark F brought a single T mono to try and take top honors away from Doug Smock. Brian Neal showed up with a pair of identically built HPR 135 cats with twin high power drivelines. Brian made a number of runs ranging from 100 to 130mph and got some good stick time trying to manage the power available in the big offshore cats. Jack and Steve O’Donnell make a brief appearance to run their A hydro and support Brian Neal. Jim Johnson brought his Phil Thomas P-Ltd sport hydro and Thom Hammer made a brief appearance with is Thomcat mono’s.

Some of the highlights:

-In trying to get the Q hydro record average sped over 130mph I connected with something in the water at 120+mph. After years of running electric SAW riggers I have learned that two or three riggers for one class is a good idea in case the worst happens. Luckily I had built two identical riggers in case this happened. After settling on a 128mph average in Q, I switched to S with my carbon rigger. Come witching hour on Sunday I made a crooked first pass at 129mph and a follow up pass at 123mph also crooked which capped an excellent weekend for me.

-Brian Neal had the best High and Low moment happen twice. 120+ mph passes followed by 120+mph stuffs which caused the cowls to fail and cats to sink. The first cat stuffed and sank right in the middle of the traps and was salvaged quickly with some damage to the hull. The second stuff and sink happened on Sunday after he had set a record in T O/S and was also trying to get an average of 135mph (his goal). This time the crash occurred in the deep section of the lake and took about 2 hours of dragging to salvage. The crash was pretty severe as one can imagine stuffing at 125mph. Even though Brian sacrificed a lot of hardware this weekend he was genuinely happy with his achievement and had even loftier goals for the next event.

Brian Buass ran his P hydro most of the weekend with numerous passes in and around 115mph striving to hit the 120mph mark. He spent a great deal of time making small changes to props and checking data in between rounds on his Castle equipped rigger. He too make some spectacular passes right at witching hour upping his 115mph record set earlier in the weekend to 116 followed by 117mph. As is customary with Brian he was willing to help with set-up and prop selection including helping me with both of my record passes at 130mph and 129mph in Q and S respectively. Couldn’t ask for a better team mate!

Darin and Wilmer were fighting neck and neck with the small cell count boats in M2 and N1. Looking at the number of runs on the laptop it seemed between the two of them half of the total runs made were with the small boats. I would love to tell you more about what they did but I honestly could not keep them straight with the number of passes they make.

Mark Grim ran his X hydro in the mornings when the air was good and make some 110 to 120 mph passes like they were easy in till he ran too close to empty and as soon as the rigger ran lean it grabbed another gear blowing the tail and stuffing. A little damage side lined the boat from running anymore that weekend. Mark also broke in a new CMB27 in his Grim Reaper tub with passes in the 90’s. I believe he still had a turn fin on the boat and was just running his “medium” speed prop. Kim Grim took a break from cooking to run her Jersey Skiff for a new record with an average speed of 54mph.

Boyd who has only been straight lining for about 2 years has been bitten pretty bad by the bug and brought a flotilla of cats to run although he mostly concentrated on P and S O/S. Driveline problems and other gremlins reared their ugly heads but Boyd was able to set the Q offshore record above 100mph. In P O/S he made a 100mph pass but could not back it up. We know he will be back in the fall with some revised systems to avoid the gremlins.

Mark Ferreira brought out a Delta Force mono to run in T mono trying to break the elusive 100mph mono target. Water line issues followed by subsequent drying periods of electronics forced Mark to re-plumb the entire cooling system. Mark made several passes in the high 80’s and perhaps one or two in the low 90’s although a back up pass was just out of reach. The boat looks very solid and will give Mr. Smock a run for his money at the next event.

Steve and Jack O’Donnell brought out their very fast A hydro which showed a good bit of potential.
    Howard Welch ran his Backlash in GX-1 sport hydro and make a number of passes in the 90’s.
    On Saturday Scott Bouchie showed up with Martin Truex Jr. for a little bench racing which turned into a long afternoon of bench racing.

That’s what I can remember from the weekend. Again thanks to Mark, Kim, Howard, Brian, Darin and everyone who attended the event. A special thank you to Tony Heller for capturing video. You can’t beat the weather, good water, racing buddies and Kim’s cooking. We’ll see you in the fall.

Tyler
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 03-29-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Reported post, edited as requested
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    As of Saturday he was at 42.638mph according to Kim's figure
    Can anyone do an official list of records and speeds?

Bill,

I am waiting to get the official records from Mark and Kim. They have to check all the paperwork and will double check the numbers. Once they do that I will post them.

Tony,

Can you set-up the youtube video as a non-public video so I have to have the link to access the video. This would prevent Joe public from searching and coming across the bird strike.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Awesome..

Mark Ferreira brought out a Delta Force mono to run in T mono trying to break the elusive 100mph mono target. Water line issues followed by subsequent drying periods of electronics forced Mark to re-plumb the entire cooling system. Mark made several passes in the high 80’s and perhaps one or two in the low 90’s although a back up pass was just out of reach. The boat looks very solid and will give Mr. Smock a run for his money at the next event.
    Tyler
    Mark and I have had similar learning curves. I had the same issues in Elizabeth City last spring.
    Keep after it Mark, you'll get it done.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Here are the official records from the Legg Lake SAW race.

TG

Record Type: Straight Away
    Class: P Hydro
    Name: Brian Buaas
    Date: 03/23/2013
    Seconds: 1.921
    MPH: 117.126
    Engine/Motor: HET
    Hull: Raptor
    Prop: Octura 2140
    Speed Control: Castle Creations
    Battery: Aquacraft

Class: Q Hydro
    Name: Tyler Garrard
    Date: 03/24/2013
    Seconds: 1.753
    MPH: 128.351
    Engine/Motor: Lehner
    Hull: SAW Assassin
    Prop: ABC-BB 1818
    Speed Control: Schulze
    Battery: Dinogy

Class: S Hydro
    Seconds: 1.776
    MPH: 126.689
    Engine/Motor: NEU
    Prop: ABC-BB 1718
    Speed Control: Castle
    Battery: Hyperion

Class: M-2 Mono
    Name: Wilmer Oxidean
    Seconds: 7.968
    MPH: 45.290
    Engine/Motor: Novak
    Hull: BBY Oval Master
    Prop: Octura
    Speed Control: Novak
    Battery: Venom

Class: S Offshore
    Name: Boyd Marshall
    Seconds: 2.389
    MPH: 94.182
    Engine/Motor: NEU 1527
    Hull: Hydro & Marine Maritimo
    Prop: FCR 5218

Class: T Offshore
    Name: Brian Neal
    Seconds: 1.760
    MPH: 127.841
    Hull: HPR 135
    Prop: Octura 60mm
    Battery: TP-5000

Class: Jersey Skiff
    Name: Kim Grim
    Seconds: 4.247
    MPH: 52.979
    Engine/Motor: CC Racing Zenoah
    Hull: Aeromarine
    Prop: Prather 270
    Last edited by RaceMechaniX; 04-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Here are the official records from the Legg Lake SAW race.

TG

Class: P Hydro
    Name: Brian Buaas
    Seconds: 1.921
    MPH: 117.126
    Engine/Motor: HET
    Hull: Raptor
    Prop: Octura 2140
    Speed Control: Castle Creations
    Battery: Aquacraft

Class: Q Hydro
    Seconds: 1.753
    MPH: 128.351
    Prop: ABC-BB 1818

Class: S Hydro
    Seconds: 1.776
    MPH: 126.689
    Engine/Motor: NEU
    Prop: ABC-BB 1718
    Speed Control: Castle
    Battery: Hyperion

Class: M-2 Mono
    Name: Wilmer Oxidean
    Seconds: 7.968
    MPH: 45.290
    Engine/Motor: Novak
    Hull: BBY Oval Master
    Prop: Octura
    Speed Control: Novak
    Battery: Venom

Class: S Offshore
    Name: Boyd Marshall
    Seconds: 2.389
    MPH: 94.182
    Engine/Motor: NEU 1527
    Hull: Hydro & Marine Maritimo
    Prop: FCR 5218
    Speed Control: Shulze

Class: T Offshore
    Name: Brian Neal
    Seconds: 1.760
    MPH: 127.841
    Hull: HPR 135
    Prop: Octura 60mm
    Speed Control: Shulze
    Battery: TP-5000

Class: Jersey Skiff
    Name: Kim Grim
    Seconds: 4.247
    MPH: 52.979
    Engine/Motor: CC Racing Zenoah
    Hull: Aeromarine
    Prop: Prather 270
    Tyler-G this is probably the most thorough I've seen records posted, great job! and congrats to the contestants!
    All you guys did phenom, but I'm most impressed with the Skiff! Kim cooked a five course steak lunch, then pulled the rip cord on a skiff to set a record, and that pup was MEOWING up and down the traps Real good.

Congrats to everyone. Impressive numbers out of Legg as usual.

Bill I don't know how you squeeze all that power out of those little motors for Team Novak. Great Job!! Hope to see you on the east coast this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    Congrats to everyone. Impressive numbers out of Legg as usual.

Bill I don't know how you squeeze all that power out of those little motors for Team Novak. Great Job!! Hope to see you on the east coast this year.

Thank you Very much kind mister, conditions weren't perfect, but I managed to blister one out.
    I lost a rigger in the process. A prized one, but I'll recover. Here is a picture with me and the Hot little BBY Oval Master full carbon mono in question.

I would like to thank Atomik, Venom, Airtronics, Team Novak, Boca Bearings, A-Main Hobbies, Kicker audio, and BBY racing 376829_10151007338542148_586368662_n.jpg

Awesome result guys, lets see what the 2nd SAW in Autumn brings...

regards,
    Manuel

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelW View Post
    Awesome result guys, lets see what the 2nd SAW in Autumn brings...

regards,
    Manuel
    The 2nd SAW is being moved to November. It was in October, but apparently they were told by Park management at Legg that the weekend wasn't available.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    The 2nd SAW is being moved to November. It was in October, but apparently they were told by Park management at Legg that the weekend wasn't available.
    Thanks for the early heads up....let us know the new official date as soon as you know.

Also, good to see you at this event (we missed you at the one before).....events aren't the same without you and Brian stirring up the "Magic Cauldron of Performance"

Boyd
    Last edited by thomaslambo; 04-09-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Question

WHAT!! Exactly when is it supposed to be so I can roll the dice and see if I can make it?

Last edited by Fluid; 04-08-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12