Thread: Heater core 1999 Grand Prix GT

Default Heater core 1999 Grand Prix GT

Wow, by far the most challenging repair I have undertaken in my paraplegic life.

I can see why a mechanic charges $600+ for such repairs.

I'm 80% done it's installed and leak tested. I still have to install all the inner panels and the interior of the car. The whole thing had to be taken apart. Then I had to go in upside down. That was freaky, I almost got stuck and had a panic attack but, I took a deep breath and got through it.
    Getting on top of the engine without wrecking anything was a challenge and I almost got the hoses off but, I kept sliding off the sheet of MDF I put across the fenders. Luckily my upstairs neighbor was able to take care of the hoses for me both off and on.

I did all the monkey work.

Tomorrow it will be all done and I'll have heat without coolant spraying on the inside of my windshield. No more coolant stink either.

At 326,000Km she is getting old and bleeding out a bit.

I'm so sore and tired. Where's my Pepsi Throwback...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Wow!
    Ray that's a tough job for ANYONE!
    Hats off to you sir!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Are you nuts? I think I would have had to take too many "breaks" to get through that job!
    LOL you did create quite the image with the MDF though!
    Oh well in a couple of weeks I have to pull the hoist out of a dumptruck, cylinder rebuild. Wanna help?
    Cheers, see you soon for some boating as soon as the water turns soft!
    Enjoy the spring.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Yes, I am nuts when it comes to saving a lot of money on car repairs. If I can reach it, investigate it, I can do it.

I actually took a lot of breaks because as soon as I got everything apart aside from the hoses it started snowing and freezing etc...

Yesterday the weather was with me and today also. For some reason I like challenges like this, it keeps me going.

Well, I'd like to help if I could get there and keep warm but, my head gaskets aren't any better. That I don't intend to do.

I will drive it until it dies I guess. I'm looking for a similar car. There was a cherry 2000GP GT in Ottawa for $2900, pristine with 124,000Km on it. Damn, didn't have the cash...

Hopefully we can get together this year for some boating. That would be nice.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Good job Ray,
    The engineers make it real fun to get to things.
    I miss my 1961 savoy,
    4353325163_4f657d6ac7_n.jpg
    You could do a heater core on it in 1/2 hour.
    On some of the cars I have worked on,
    You need to pull the passenger seat out and the hole dash out.
    To get to the heater core and blower box.
    Last edited by lenny; 03-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Great job I am a professional tech and shop owner I understand how some jobs can be a huge undertaking so congrats on a job well done
    Top Gun 2011, "current problem" 88MPH. Top Gun 2014 "Marine One" 99 MPH. bet speed to date 125 MPH

The dreaded heater core: 1992 Chev S-10 1/2 hour,1977 Camaro 1 full day,1989 Ford Taurus =sell the car. I feel for you Ray but a job well done

My first car: 1978 FORD Fairmont, after two fixes, I eventually bypassed the heater core, I know, I know, So Cal. should not have a heater...
    Quality was so bad that the heater core would corrode in just a year,
    Ray, you are the man! Salute to you!

Thanks guys... I had to cut the carpet a bit to get the duct work back in the drivers side but, this pig owes me nothing.

I took a vacuum to it for the first time in a few years, wow, not bad for 14 years old.

I still need to bolt in the center console... One of those jesus clips fell into a crack. I'll try to fish it out with a magnet tomorrow or I'll have to go to GM or, maybe the Industrial supply on Monday.

Just mixed a very light whiskey and throwback Pepsi, I'm done for today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yep, cars sure are fun to work on aren't they:-D. Especially modern day cars! I've been a BMW technician for over 20 years now and I have to say there are some days I just want to throttle the engineers that design these things! Especially when you're working on them up against the flat rate system. You get paid only so many flat rate units or FRUS as they're called per job you're up against. That makes the job even more fun, love working on them and the challenge it brings just hate how were paid! Good times......so remember that next time you all bring your car in for service, its not as easy as people think. One of the few trades that are CONSTANTLY changing on a daily basis.

The whole reason I love my old GMC trucks. Throttle body, minimal emisions crap, plain old 350.
    Last of the trucks a back yard mechanic could really enjoy working on.
    I don't even attempt repairs on the Accord, lift the hood and I can't even identify what I'm looking for!
    Swapping the snow tires is about all the normal guy can do now.
    The worst was the old pontiac transporter I used to have, couldn't even get to the back spark plugs in that transverse mounted 6. Was almost impossible to boost the thing, couldn't get to the battery so it had an accessory "battery terminal" you could hook the + cable to!
    Get that P hydro tuned up! Johns GP and my Whip will be ready for spring!
    Stuck a 1512 1800kv in the 29" mono I picked up from you, did some work on the hatch, fits nicely now. SHould be a fast sport boat. Need to pick up another spec motor. My tunnel and other hydro have my AQ2030s in them. No spec mono at this point!
    Been flying a lot lately. Was out for a few hours yesterday, beautiful day for flying, clear sky and about 5kph winds.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

It was a great day to be outside. I got the console in and everything is done finally.

My GF took some pictures of me putting the new core in. Pardon my azz if it's visible, lol...

Maybe it's easier being a paraplegic to do this kind of job??? I don't feel the pain until it's done and I stop. Some bruises to boot too.

Here are some pics.

I'm keeping my Whiplash if you guys are going to challenge me. What motor you got in there??

I was going to put a 4074-2200kv SSS motor I have in there for giggles. My PTSS has a UL-1 in it.

Maybe I should take up flying and cut the boats back... I dunno..?
    Nortavlag Bulc

MOre
    Nortavlag Bulc

That's all folks...
    Nortavlag Bulc

My utmost respect to you, Sir!
    and,
    happy boating!
    Cheers!

LOL mine will be castle 1515 1y this year. John is running a 4074 in his ML hydro.
    Wanted a Neu but that just wasn't happening unfortunaltly. Maybe as the summer goes on, a couple big jobs in the works I hope.
    Also have the other boat one running a UL-1 motor.
    Your job here just reminded me of doing a heater fan in an ex's Cavalier! Thanks a lot! I'd developed some kind of mental block on that one!
    Nightmares will probably come back now!
    Always been a backyard mechanic.
    Cheers
    See you soon.