Thread: BBY Micro Hydro

Default BBY Micro Hydro

Ok fellas, I want to put this one to bed soon.

I placed an order for this Micro hull and now I need a full setup...

Ive got a thread going on at rcuniverse also but Im pretty much a noob throwing out different ideas with no real idea what works/doesnt. So as you can imagine Im not getting much of a response but some yes/nos.

Anyhow...

Help me spend some money today. Im not looking to go nuts on costly equipment but likewise dont want junk :)

Heres what I got:
    BBY Micro Hydro hull
    Hitec HS-60 servo
    Tx- Aquacraft Pistols (AM and FM- from RR2 and Mini Rio)

Heres the hardware I want:
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...mcr-mhd&cat=69

Heres what I need help with:

Proper Motor
    Battery
    Charger (Be able to do Lipo and nimh)
    Receiver
    Running hardware- such as bearings/bushings, prop shaft, drive dog, etc. I want something more standard where I can get decent props easily.

I am ready to purchase not tire kicking. So your help will be greatly appreciated.

The hardware you have in mind is actually a bit big for the BBY hull in my opinion. Hold on for a while, there is something in the works you may find is a perfect fit at a reasonable price. I'm building mine with a straight shaft, but a micro wire-drive may be in the not-too-distant future.

As for what I am doing with SSSH, don't discount the Graupner props. They are very nice and come in a variery of pitches, sizes and number of blades. They require almost no work to get them race-ready.

I'll make you a deal on that 1005/2Y if you don't want to try the Chinese outrunner.

Whats a 1005/2y? Motor?

Argh

the 1005/2Y is a powerhouse of a motor that will make the BBY Micro into a rocket on 2S with a D/T X427.

Still, you would not be disappointed with the ultra-cheap Chinese outrunner either.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 06-25-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Add prop and cell count

How similar is the hull to a Mini Cat Racing micro hydro. ?
    Come to the FASST side

"Similar" is rather subjective. They are similar in size and they both have two sponsons and a propeller at the back. I haven't seen the MiniCat up close, but I can tell you Randy's hull does have some good design features like a small tunnel and generous ride pads. Being a vacuum-formed hull, the MTH needs some sharpening to run at its maximum potential.

I have heard that the MiniCat is very sensitive to battery placement, and that prop choices are limited. I have heard that Octura props will work, but the fit may be a bit less than MilSpec, if you get my drift.

Rock on Bill.

Sorry I didnt get back to you I was on duty (Im a father of an 8 y.o.).

But I got an E Mail from Randy, my MTH is on the way. I asked about them Mystery motors he sounded pretty enthusiastic about them, so I got one on the way.

Also ordered a micro patriot while I was at it.

Today a new asian boat, charger, servos... man oh man what a spending spree (well for me at least).

No problem on getting back. I have had eight-year-olds in my house before so I sympathize with you.

That Mystery motor is not a bad deal for micros, and I still can't get over the price. It should make the Micro Patriot (MP) into a real rocket. I can hardly keep my 13" Geckos on the water with that system, I think the MP is even smaller at 12".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

Thats the motor/ESC I bought. Only bought one. Not sure what Im doing with the MP yet, it was total impulse buy after our convo... lol.

I might just swap the motor/esc into that boat when I want to run it.

I bought an ESC for my new bigger boat from the same guy also. I hope its good!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

carefull with that motor, they run HOT.... i use the feigao 28-L in both the gecko and micro patriot (the patriot is a little shorter but a much larger boat)and they are way to much motor (a good thing). i am building a patriot now that i am going to try an ammo 24-45-2900 on 3 cells. those mystery esc's and lipo's work well though. also check out the mystery 30&40amp esc with the heat sink they are small and although i havent tried one yet (i have 4, just waiting on parts to finish boats) they look like a good idea. also if you guys are into the mini's, ask randy about a carbon fiber micro patriot. he is building me a micro cat and he said he would put together a carbon patriot as well, he couldn't do the hydro though. also as for the minicat micro? i threw mine away. great quality but super hard to get ballanced.

Ouch on the Cat comment. I about bought that too.

I was thinking of buying all 3 and getting them all setup with the same ESC and Motor, and just switching them out when I want to run each boat.

The carbon fiber would be a sweet look, but it seems to be very costly. I have a sheet of CF here for well over a year now and it is looking for a project. Ive been thinking Hydromite

We will see what the mini hydro holds.

Wow!

Today I got some USPS Lov'n!

My BBY hulls arrived.

The Micro patriot is very stout and deep! I was surprised.

But the Hydro...

Wow.

Its fairly small, smaller than the Hydromite! And before its asked, the Hydromite plans are scale 1:1 perfect My previous Hydromite I built was slightly undersized...

Pics bellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images