Thread: Stability in chop...V's vs Tunnels

Default Stability in chop...V's vs Tunnels

I was thinking aloud this weekend about building another FE boat using a 41" V hull or a 41" catamaran and a couple of the guys were trying to tell me that a cat hull would handle the chop better than a similar sized V hull.I've been under the impression that V's were more stable so I figured best to ask the experts for a definitive answer.
    V hulls or tunnel/cats...which is more stable under speed in relatively rough water ??
    thanks in advance
    Steve

I would say from my experience, that a V is generally better in the rougher stuff.

The deadrise angle (of either type of hull) has a lot to do with the hull's ability to handle rough water. When I did the JetCat 29, I put a bunch of deadrise in it, just to help with rough water conditions.

Modern RC mono hulls seem to have a lot more deadrise when compared to the older hulls. I had an old Black Diamond hull and it had almost no deadrise. It was plenty fast, but was a bear in chop.

Can you please tell me what "dead rise " is and how it affects a boats handling??
    I'm pretty new at this and only know some of the general marine terms like port,starboard,,bow,stern.........A glossary of terms would be helpful.Heck I only just learned what freeboard was

thanks
    Ghost

Deadrise is essentially the angle of the bottom of the hull. A deep-V has more deadrise than a shallow-V. A flat-bottom hull (like an airboat) has no deadrise.

Cats usually have a fairly flat ride pad area with zero to a few degrees of deadrise (I used 4 degrees on the JC 29); then the area between the ride pads and the freeboard will have varying amounts of deadrise (I used 40 degrees on the JC 29) at the designer's discretion and his estimation of the design's ultimate use.

1 thing i heard that also helps out in cat ruff water is the length between sponsons. In my opion Mono's are the best Ive seen a few cats out on the water. One thing i noticed in full scale cats is they dont ride smooth in ruff (2-4 ft swell) water. I have a 24ft skipjack and Ive seen a cat a little bigger then my boat take a beating out on the water. And we were passing them around 20+ knots in around 3ft seas.
    Failure is the First step to SUCCESS