Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobby King Batteries

It comes down o how much you use them too.
    Nortavlag Bulc

several of us in my area who race are having really great results with 40c Turnigy packs
    and that's after several races and charges on them (seasons)...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I've found that the blue turnigy pack run well at first but drop off sooner than any others I've used. They are the only ones that have consistently puffed after using for less that a season. I've not bought any in the last couple of years so they may be better now. Also, that was before I started running everything parallel so that may help to keep them from failing.
    The gens have run well for me but are have a tendency to drop a cell while in storage. I've had several do this. They balance well but when under a load one cell will drop and cause lvc.
    The only packs that I've never had a problem with are hyperions and poly quests.
    I've also had good luck with the venoms other than the balancing lead detaching but venom will replace them no questions asked. They make a 4s 3600 50c that fits great in the geico's.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

2 on that....

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    several of us in my area who race are having really great results with 40c Turnigy packs
    and that's after several races and charges on them (seasons)...
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

4th season coming up racing HK Turnigys.....no need for any thing else.....from 4S to 10S2P configurations and everything in between.

I run two 2s Turnigy 7400mah 40C in a series and have had no problems yet. Second season and still going good.
    You live, you make mistakes, you learn, you more forward.

So where do you get the Dinogy packs?
    I do agree about using the HyYperion packs. I believe they are the same as T.P. Over at the Rum Runner Racing site most guys race with Hyperions. I use them in my planes but also use Gens Ace. Planes don't draw amps the way boats do unless you fly a Sig Kougar with a Scorpion 3026-10 motor and 10X7 prop at 85MPH....I melted the heat shrink over the ESC (C.C.) and that's when I decided to upgrade to a higher rated speedo C.C. Ice 75 and mounted in a chin scoop under the fuse. I have to use the Hyperions with this plane as I just don't trust anything else.
    I have a BBY O.M 26 and have Hyperion 2S 5000 but they're only 25C so I'm looking at the higher rated ones. Gotta get the JAE 21 build going soon.....darn I need to order the hardware kit for it and the motor and the speedo and the......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    So where do you get the Dinogy packs?
    I do agree about using the HyYperion packs. I believe they are the same as T.P. Over at the Rum Runner Racing site most guys race with Hyperions. I use them in my planes but also use Gens Ace. Planes don't draw amps the way boats do unless you fly a Sig Kougar with a Scorpion 3026-10 motor and 10X7 prop at 85MPH....I melted the heat shrink over the ESC (C.C.) and that's when I decided to upgrade to a higher rated speedo C.C. Ice 75 and mounted in a chin scoop under the fuse. I have to use the Hyperions with this plane as I just don't trust anything else.
    I have a BBY O.M 26 and have Hyperion 2S 5000 but they're only 25C so I'm looking at the higher rated ones. Gotta get the JAE 21 build going soon.....darn I need to order the hardware kit for it and the motor and the speedo and the......
    For Dinogy lipos contact Mark at performancerclipos.com/.

Cool

Actually, this is Mark's new site; use it instead of the link above:

http://www.dinogylipos.com/

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I've found turnigy packs OK if you don't run too much, A lot of the guys I run with get out once maybe twice a month, their turnigy packs seem to last OK.
    I live less than 1000 yards from a great running spot, I'm out 2 or 3 times a week. I've found that the turnigys don't last very long for me. Not unusual for me to put more than 20-30 cycles on a set of batteries in a month. One season for me and they are done for.
    I don't fly that much and run turnigy packs in my park plane, hold up fine for the low amp draw they see, maybe fly a couple times a month.
    In my instance the higher quality/priced packs last much longer, I have some Polyquests that are going into their 4th season and still hold their voltage very well under load.
    Twice the price but last 4 times as long, for me it's a no brainer for the amount I run.
    I have to admit I haven't tried them in a boat in a few years now, so maybe they are better now. Certainly wasn't impressed with them a while ago. Still too much money for me to go back and try them again if they don't hold up.
    Because of the shipping BS I'm going to give some GrimRacers a shot this season, can get them through the LHS without the BS and added cost of having to use a courier. One of my buddies was running them last year, seemed to work out very well for him.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

anyone heard of Revo packs ??
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

some zippy flight-max batterys have gens ace cells just saying

Re HK lipos, ive not used them myself so cant comment on them but the new Turnigy A spec Nanos 65c - 130c are Haiyin Scorpion Competition packs.

Just make sure they're never below 3.7v when you put them back on the charger after use. Keep the packs above this and they'll last longer regardless of manufacturer.

some zippy flight-max batterys have gens ace cells just saying
    If even true that makes sense, given both brands have about the same reputation.

I run (ran) the blue turnigy 4000 40c 2s and 3s in series for 5s or 2x2s in series for 4s. I puffed a set in 2mins the other day....
    They have seen less than 100 cycles and are pretty much had it.
    Ive also got a set of zippy 8000 30c 2s1p. They balance faster, run cooler and perform better than the turnigy packs, but its not a fair comparison is it.
    Ive just ordered 5s 5000mah 65-130c nanno's at great expense so hopefully they last. Ive left headroom there amps wise so hopefully they dont let me down.
    From my past experience id use the zippys before the blue turnigys.

I've raced with Tunigy blue, & nanotech, Zippy & Haiyin. The Haiyin are the pick of the bunch for me.
    But after reading reviews by pattern flying guys on planes & Helicopters, I've been trying out a couple of these packs. Too soon to judge yet on the life span of them as they've only had a dozen or so runs/races. But they have a good kick to them & the IR is still around 2 mohms per cell in both packs.

http://www.chinahobbyline.com/product.asp?typeid=30

I have used Turnigy Nano Tech batteries in my planes. I like them. They have good punch. I have also used them for my N1 Mono that I have raced. They are OK for that boat. But for my larger class race boats, I use only Hyperion batteries. They cost more than HK batteries, but they run great.

Jay

Default Zippy

Zippy Flightmax batteries deliver full capacity & discharge as well as being the best value batteries in the hobby market today!

Spec.
    Capacity: 4000mAh
    Voltage: 4S1P / 4 Cell / 14.8v
    Discharge: 40C Constant / 50C Burst
    Weight: 465g (including wire, plug & case)
    Dimensions: 145x51x30mm
    Balance Plug: JST-XH
    Discharge plug: 4mm Bullet-connector

I have ordered HK---turnigy nano-lipo.
    Difficulties with web site, order communication.......Have read good reviews about batterys and imax bat. charger, but dissappointed with HK customer service --
    slow responce. Anyone else have this issue?

Cool

HK is notorious for poor customer service. After all, you are not paying much money so why would you expect good service?

Be careful with your nanos, they are over-rated in the C range. Here is a set a club member bought recently and tried in his T-Catamaran. He ran a set of 25C ThunderPowers without problems, brought the cat in too cool off, then put in the nanos. After about a minute of running....
    Jim's Nanos.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by westrndc View Post
    I have ordered HK---turnigy nano-lipo.
    Difficulties with web site, order communication.......Have read good reviews about batterys and imax bat. charger, but dissappointed with HK customer service --
    slow responce. Anyone else have this issue?
    I hear the Nano A-Spec lipos are some of the best we can buy today....
    I've never had an issue with customer service so I really can't comment on that one.

Zippy batteries (from HK) deliver power consistently and are slightly smaller than equivalent Turnigy batteries. I have had several lightly used Turnigy battery packs swell up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    HK is notorious for poor customer service. After all, you are not paying much money so why would you expect good service?

Be careful with your nanos, they are over-rated in the C range. Here is a set a club member bought recently and tried in his T-Catamaran. He ran a set of 25C ThunderPowers without problems, brought the cat in too cool off, then put in the nanos. After about a minute of running....
    Jim's Nanos.jpg
    Wow! Not good!! I too have had nanos not living up. In my t-cat, running on 10s the voltage drop is like down to 36 volts. Only two passes to look at data, didn't swell or get warm, they just can't deliver. Good batteries in the right situation, just not this one.

Nanotec A-specs are good batts but at their price just get dinogy's, they are much better and with free shipping from Mark it makes them about the same price and Marks Cust svc is TOP NOTCH!. I've been using some nantec 45C 4000's in p-spec boats for 2 seasons now, and I just got some Dinogys to compare. The dinogys provide a little more top speed and punch but unless you're racing at a national level the gains are negligible. Spec setups don't (or shouldn't) pull many amps so a pair of 45C 4000's in parallel provide plenty of runtime and punch for my setups. I can get well over 6 minutes of runtime with a competitive P-spec racing setup. I would not run them in a competitive P setup boat. But I do run the Dinogys in my P-mono boat so If you are using them for dual purpose definitely get the Dinogy's!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Dinogy all the way

Quote Originally Posted by petej View Post
    Zippy batteries (from HK) deliver power consistently and are slightly smaller than equivalent Turnigy batteries. I have had several lightly used Turnigy battery packs swell up.
    I've never tried any Zippy backs before

From My minimal experience and lengthy research, it appears that there is no real winner in the battery war. there are reports going both ways on nearly every brand and model, good and bad with lipo's in general. You either get lucky or unlucky as long as the setup is correct that is
    KartRacer ~ Dennis B
    Delta Force Pirate 35'~Leopard 4092~1480Kv~Seaking 180~2X6S 65C 5000 Mha Dynogy Lipo,Parallel

I have become disappointed with the quality of Thunder Power battery packs. It seems that they need balanced at ever charge. In fact, the last one I purchased came out of balance. Also, I think that black covering is bio-degradable as it tends to crack. I just order Dinogy packs and if they are half as good as I have read on this forum, they are most likely are better than TP and at half the price. TP pricing is ridicules.

Just my thoughts for I know many of my club members think highly of TP.

I have heard through the grape vine that TP has changed their chemistry within the cells..
    kinda like Nitro content in Nitro fuel
    less punch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast