Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobby King Batteries

Default Hobby King Batteries

I was thinking about getting another set of lipos for my revolt which I am going to be running in p-limited offshore. I already have a set of dinogy's but I just want to get another set for testing and practicing. I was wondering which is best out of these three. Turnigy 4s 4000 mah 40c, turnigy nano tech 4s 4000mah 45c, or zippy flightmax 4s 4000mah 45c?

I would stick with the dinogy's but if u want to get the hobby king lipos I had the most success with the regular turnigy 40c packs.

The only reason I don't want to get another set of dinogy's is because of the price.

After having enough Lipos from HK and giving the Sky Lipos from Hobby Partz a try I would advise to go that route.
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

Basstronics is correct with that statement I have a few sets of sky lipos that have a ton of abuse into them I would take them over any hk pack

I have had a set of sky lipo's before and I felt that they were definitely lacking in the punch/output department.

Then wait until you get the same disappointment from the HK packs when they puff with a drop of water, slight over discharge or randomly.

Ive wasted $100's of dollars in under two seasons on that junk. No more. If you got a play boat, rescue boat or something not demanding then I would recommend them. But basically if the packs are much over $40 they are a waste. Avoid like the plague IMHO.
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

Ok. Well what do you think about gens ace?

I only ran the sky lipos in a 2p setup and I am happy with their performance. I do notice after a few min of running I can sometimes see the voltage drop on a real long pass. You can actually see the boat slow dowm and I have data loggibg to show that. My sky lipos so far outlasted any hk pack I had and this is why i agree with basstronics statement. Their quality control is much much better.. I gave up buying cheap packs even for testing setups. The dinogys arent to much more in the long run. Especially if you compare performance and longevity of them. So if it was me I would wait a week or so til I had the extra money for better packs. If u definitely dont want to go with the better packs get the turnigy 40c packs they do have more punch than my sky lipos.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    I only ran the sky lipos in a 2p setup and I am happy with their performance. I do notice after a few min of running I can sometimes see the voltage drop on a real long pass. You can actually see the boat slow dowm and I have data loggibg to show that. My sky lipos so far outlasted any hk pack I had and this is why i agree with basstronics statement. Their quality control is much much better.. I gave up buying cheap packs even for testing setups. The dinogys arent to much more in the long run. Especially if you compare performance and longevity of them. So if it was me I would wait a week or so til I had the extra money for better packs. If u definitely dont want to go with the better packs get the turnigy 40c packs they do have more punch than my sky lipos.
    Thanks for your input.

No problem man just remember your boat is as only as good as your packs enabke it to be. Maybe look into the gens ace packs. I got them for a really good price when hobbypartz puts them on sale. I think they are better than the sky but , If you half to pay full price for them at that point just go with the dinogys.

Ya thats pretty much how i feel. IMO gens ace are great packs but they have gotten more expensive lately, so it becoming logical to just get dinogy's at this point.

I feel the same way man I still have a few sets of the 30c 5s packs that are almost new and a few older sets and all perform great.

I run these in a PTSS hydro in LSH. Amazing power. I run them in series and they have never broken a sweat. Their weight eliminated any need for lead in the hull too.

Yes, they are 2P inside but, the way they run, I don't care. They balance perfectly even when abused.

HK
    Nortavlag Bulc

Are you running 4000 total Mah or 8000 ? over 4 min 20 seconds the max continuous you can draw from 4000mah total is 55 amps.
    Nortavlag Bulc

8000. 4s2p

Yeah but they are 50 $ for a hk lipo. For that price I can buy a dinogy 2s pack that I know will out perform any hk pack especially over a season/s. I just havent had good luck with hk packs it took 6pairs to get one good set that lasted for some time now.

How long have you had to Dinogy? Sorry to side track. Im considering some but as far as Im aware there just inst many people with multiple years of time w/them.

Ive heard the Haiyin batts are good value. Off course I heard the same thing about Turnigy & Zippies too...

http://www.haiyinstore.com

I have about 200 cycles on my dinogy packs and when you look at data logging the voltage drop is identical to the day the earlier data logging taken. I never got anywhere near that with hk packs. My hyperion and thunder power packs showed signs of stress after 50 - 60 cycles

Quote Originally Posted by jfrancisco892 View Post
    Ok. Well what do you think about gens ace?
    i prefer Skylipo over Gens. So far the 4s, 5000 mah 40c have been really good.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    i prefer Skylipo over Gens. So far the 4s, 5000 mah 40c have been really good.
    I am quite shocked. In my opinion skylipo are average at best. They take forever to balance when charging and imo they are lackluster in power output relative to gens ace. Imo gens ace are ions better than sky lipo.

Eons*

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I run these in a PTSS hydro in LSH. Amazing power. I run them in series and they have never broken a sweat. Their weight eliminated any need for lead in the hull too.

Yes, they are 2P inside but, the way they run, I don't care. They balance perfectly even when abused.

HK
    thanks for the link Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    Yeah but they are 50 $ for a hk lipo. For that price I can buy a dinogy 2s pack that I know will out perform any hk pack especially over a season/s. I just havent had good luck with hk packs it took 6pairs to get one good set that lasted for some time now.
    in this case I would put money on the HK packs
    one your get more Mah with the HK packs and being they weigh 100g per pack more could say something good
    we don't really know if the Dinogy will out perform the bigger HK pack cuz no one has done actual testing

there are a few of us in NAMBA20 who run the BLUE 40C packs (HK) and love them.. one guy has 3 seasons on them, so to say they don't last, well to me is just hawg wash
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

You can just use a watt meter on a charger. Like I used it on the Turnigy Nano-Tech packs to create a fuel graph at 2C discharge. It runs through two cycles, looks at mAh IN, and mAh OUT. The Turnigy 35-70C 5.0 packs, 5S, I was and still am getting about 4430mAH OUT and about 4600mAH IN to charge them (heat, wire losses, etc.). I charge to 4.205 and discharge to 3.20V at over 5C. NO puffing ever. Of course, this is apples and oranges to field stress conditions where telemetry + watt meter data is useful in plotting out a pack. But for the money, I like the NANO TECHS for what I have got. Beware of their hard packs, though. The pack connections on the 1S 65C-100C melted due to amp draw. The packs were disposed of due to this hazardous condition. The 5S packs get maybe as warm as your hand when fully charging in about 14 minutes. Problem is all my packs are muts to one another. No two brands are the same mAH or cell count. HK quality is on the uprise though, as they simply copy all of the projects we engineer here, and then contract out to them ourselves as foolish companies do. Heck, they don't even have to reverse-engineer our stuff, they just use our specs and sell our designs back to us as their own. We b!tch, yet still buy them. See, it's just like the Wal-Mart fiasco. Where do you get your milk and eggs at 3AM? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    thanks for the link Ray in this case I would put money on the HK packsone your get more Mah with the HK packs and being they weigh 100g per pack more could say something goodwe don't really know if the Dinogy will out perform the bigger HK pack cuz no one has done actual testingthere are a few of us in NAMBA20 who run the BLUE 40C packs (HK) and love them.. one guy has 3 seasons on them, so to say they don't last, well to me is just hawg wash
    Brushless u r taking what I am saying and hearing what u want. For starters I said that hk quality control is horrible, and it took me 6 packs to get two good ones. Second tell me how come so many people have destroyed hk packs with the squeeze of the throttle setting their packs and boat on fire. Now for me thats not worth taking that chance that I might of gotten some bad packs. Now u must of missed this too I myself have the blue 40c turnigy packs. I also said they perform well thats when u get a good set. Final I myself and some others I know have done some pretty involved testing especially with the dinogy packs, and the results came back better than any pack I ever tested. Others and I have gained 3-5 mph just in changing over packs. So your statement/s r hogwash.

None of my HK batteries have lasted or are still around, just discovered tha last one has died, put my packs on a charger mid winter to check them out, all were at storage voltage, the last HK pack now has a dead cell.
    Gens Ace don't hold their voltage under load, a couple of us with eagle trees have found they drop aprox 1v more under load than SKY of even plain Turnigy packs, tested both 2s and 6s packs, all showed the same voltage drop.
    Never used Haiyin, some long term reviews I've read on here turned me away from them pretty quick, believe it was Diesel who did that testing.
    My very first set of batteries were PQs, 3 years later they are still the best batteries I own, balance perfectly, hold their voltage under load.
    Personally done with cheap batteries, no savings if the cost half as much but don't have half the lifespan.
    Kind of screwed in Canada for batteries now, don't know what I'll be using. Not going to add insane brokerage charges from UPS or where ever to get good batteries across the border. If I can't find a sane solution there may be a pile of electric stuff up for sale and I go back to nitro!
    Only alternative is here now Grimracer packs, good but limited in cell count! Can get them through the LHS without the brokerage charges.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Exactly what I was trying to get across to people

Batteries, batteries,,,,,,,batteries. My $.02 is you (usually-not always) get what you pay for. Most of my packs are hk nanos and turnigys. Simply because of price. If there is a problem with the pack upon arrival it gets tossed, I don't even bother with any warranty. The inflated discharge rates arnt that bad, close with those of hyperions ect,,,, (they all are inflated). 300+sustained amp output for 4~7 minuets? First of all not that many esc to keep up with that and then the wire size completely ends that debate from an electrical engineers eyes. About the only semi accurate way to log true discharge capabilities is to know the exact internal resistance of the whole pack. There are only a handful of devices that are commercially available to do this. But most of the higher end chargers will give a close or reading. (time temp and capacity of pack have to be controlled to get a more consistent reading). That's just a sliver of the scientific part, the real word part,,,,,
    Price, fancy packaging sells, especially to new comers. Hk nanos aren't that bad. Gens arent bad. Well none of them are. Until you start to approach the limitations of the packs. Simply put, speed costs money-how fast ya want to go? How much money you got???? If you want the insurance of not being limited by your packs output (without destroying it) then simply go with the higher end packs. Hyperion, dinogy.
    Ido not own any dinogy packs but have formed an opinion from the use of trusted others that these packs are worth the extra coin. Now if you are not pushing the limits and on a budget then it doesn't make sense to spend the extra coin. (unless you take care of your packs and want them to last ) heck the Hyperion packs have made in china written on the inside foil of the packs. ( have to take apart to see). I think the whole debate comes down to quality controll. To the op, I don t think there is much difference between the turnigys and nanos. Just want to keep some headroom in your setup and within the limitations of all components. Pushing the limits is a whole other topic.

If you have the ability to run a good charging rig at the pond it makes running the expensive batteries easier.
    Usually have time between runs, gotta talk, make an adjustment, let the hydros run, look over the video of the amazing back flip and recovery, etc. Plenty of time for a set of batteries finish charging. Two chargers with decent wattage and you're pretty much set.
    Two sets of batteries and you can pretty much run all you can if you're out with a number of boaters.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast