Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New HK Mono

Sounds good Paul let us know how it works Aloha.....Tunda

Just un boxing mine and to me the rudder seems to be on the small side for a boat this big.
    This could be why they are so unstable in turns..
    Doe's any one else think it's small ?

They turn in the typical way of stepped hulls, if you look at the Smash Shark that also comes from TFL hobby whick HK sell as well. They use the same rudder but the Smash Shark turns much better & smoother, the Smash Shark is a v hull with no steps across the hull.

It's still seems small to me I will try a larger one and report back.

The rudder does definitely seem small for the size of the hull and I too wonder whether a larger rudder could help this boat. Not a lot of experince with stepped hulls myself though. Do stepped hulls have issues with turning cleanly then?? I also found it a bit odd there were no trim tabs with the boat? Is that another stepped hull thing?
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

never seen a stepped mono1/2 with trimtabs

when you got everything right you don't need those "brakes"

Tried mine out today. Totally sucks in turns but is really stable in a straight line.
    A fun boat though

Any thoughts as to what replacement rudder could be a good fit? Been holding off doing anything with mine until the
    HK warranty dept make a decision. If I rebuild I might look at a larger rudder too.

Too true with the trim tabs iop65, but I like em for a bit of tweaking all the same. :)
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Here's a worked over mono 1 or 2?? Not sure but, this guy seems to have done a lot of tinkering on his stepped mono.

Notice the Carbon prop? I'd like a class with carbon props only.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

would like to see it run.........
    Hawaiian Tunda

The turn fins on the front step looks like an interesting idea. Also, it seems that the rear turn fin is a barge board style as it seems to run forward of the transom.

Most mono 1 & 2 stepped hulls here in Europe dont use the foward fins as in the pic. One of the most common used & very succesfull stepped boats is the Etti monos. They use a single large barge board fin & turn quite well but still have a tendancy if turning to fast or to sharp to exhibit the problems that the outer limits has but not any where that extreeme. These are top class racing boats that are much smaller & lower with a very low centre of gravity which helps with turning, the outer Limits is a much larger boat that is quite tall with a higher cg which will compound the turning problems more.

Paul785, the site you typed is from Belgium. I sent him plans for a rigger many years ago and I think it was Walter Geens who modded it.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    This boat is made by TFL Hobby, same maker of the Genesis cat. They have this boat on their website with same paint job except the name on the side is Lucky Oct, it is listed at 870mm or 34.25".
    I happen to have the website of TFL Hobby.
    http://www.tflhobby.com/boats.html

Quote Originally Posted by May Liu View Post
    I happen to have the website of TFL Hobby.
    http://www.tflhobby.com/boats.html
    Yes ive seen this site many times before.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234