Thread: 10s rigger build using castle 2028 and castle hydra ice 200 hv

Red face 10s rigger build using castle 2028 and castle hydra ice 200 hv

It has been quite some time from my last post on here and thought I would share with everyone what I was up to. I have recently acquired a gas JAE rigger kit "New version" and lets face it, I hate gas engines for rc... I already had a castle 2028 that I was going to run as an inexpensive option for a large mono that belongs to my father (old heavy 43" sightler mono) and we both got the bright idea at about the same time to try it in the rigger running on 10s 1p 5ah thunderpower 65c lipos (two 5s 5000mah packs in series) turning a 2.5 X 1.4 two or three blade abc prop and I was wondering if anyone may have any experience in trying that motor in a rigger yet? I know thats a fairly stout prop for that motor on 10s and I may end up having to cut it down a bit but im not sure yet because I know with a rigger the constant draw will be reduced due to hull design, obviously, but how much will remain a mystery till I get some runs in with it and check the data logger. Im definitely going to start with the 2 blade to keep the "bite" down just to be on the safe side and see how it acts, who knows, it may do just fine and may even end up with a 2.5"X1.6" 3 blade in the end... Any thoughts or comments???
    Last edited by pond skipper; 02-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.

running a twin 90 rigger with 2230 12-s bestspeed todate 96mph. rtr 20 lbs.

pics on my post 7-12-2012 post #17

Good God man! Two 2230s? That's insane! What mah packs are you running?

That's a horsepower to weight ratio of about 1.3:1.0, that's awesome!

Default rigger

Quote Originally Posted by pond skipper View Post
    That's a horsepower to weight ratio of about 1.3:1.0, that's awesome!
    twin 90 size one 2230 2 6-s packs

Oh ok that sounds more like it... Sorry about the confusion, what's your run time and what prop are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Default 10 -s rigger

Oh ok that sounds more like it... Sorry about the confusion, what's your run time and what prop are you running if you don't mind me asking?
    about 2 1/2 minutes using the 80% rule. never hit the lvc yet. have 2 sets of batts this year. 96 mph with grimm 65 x 100 . 3 inch diameter abc (cant read numbers on hub ) high 80's . mark fiera suggested some electric props from prop shop to try. hope to break 100 soon. in full oval trim .

That would be absolutely ridiculous! I'm starting to get excited now, wonder what the speed will be for the thing I'm building...

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    about 2 1/2 minutes using the 80% rule. never hit the lvc yet. have 2 sets of batts this year. 96 mph with grimm 65 x 100 . 3 inch diameter abc (cant read numbers on hub ) high 80's . mark fiera suggested some electric props from prop shop to try. hope to break 100 soon. in full oval trim .
    sounds like you will!
    any running videos of this beast?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

That grim 65x100, I'm guessing the 100 represents the total pitch correct?

Cool

The OP's 2028 will run near 80 with the 2514 prop. To go faster he'll need more pitch, I'd not use a three-bladed prop this size. I doubt that he'll be able to make 6 laps plus the mill lap without the pack getting too low for good longevity.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

80 would be awesome, I could always go to a 2516 if needed as long as the amp draw isn't too high. Just received the last piece of the puzzle via UPS, two 5S 5000mah 65c thunder power lipos. Now I just need to seal the hull and do some finish sanding and put it all back together and go run it. Does anyone know how to post photos on here from an iPhone?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to form a cowl for the motor/esc/battery compartment? I thought about using acrylic and forming a bulge in it to fit over the motor using a heat gun.

Default 10-s rigger

i vacuum formed one with abs ( you can see it in my post ) check those battery packs with cheap esc. bought (2) 6 cell 5000 ma packs thunderpower 65c packs. first plug-in to jeti-spin 300 one pack blew up thunderpower said it had a bad tap and replaced it. jeti charged me 250 to replace brand new never used esc original cost 530.00 780 bucks !! total just a warning.

Cool

I have used ten of the Thunderpower 65C 5000 mAh packs both in oval racing and SAW racing. All have been great performers for me. I suppose anything can fail. I do have to ask the other poster - how did bad taps cause a failure?

Last edited by Fluid; 02-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Never vacuum formed anything, I'll have to look it up. Man, that sucks about that bad pack I would have talked to thunder power about the cost of the esc replacement as well, you would expect a company like thunder power to be on top of their game on stuff like that, thanks for the warning though.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to form a cowl for the motor/esc/battery compartment? I thought about using acrylic and forming a bulge in it to fit over the motor using a heat gun.
    I've tried this method, and was not successful. Just me tho. I ended up cutting a hole and cut a heavy plastic bottle in half, then glueing that on to make a "bubble". Not exactly pretty, but mine was a subhatch, and is covered.. Interested to see what you come up with

Default 10 -s rigger

Never vacuum formed anything, I'll have to look it up. Man, that sucks about that bad pack I would have talked to thunder power about the cost of the esc replacement as well, you would expect a company like thunder power to be on top of their game on stuff like that, thanks for the warning though.
    thunderpower replaced the bad one for free plus sent me a replacement 1/2 cost. figured that was ok. another quick way to make cowl is make wood plug, wax it and make epoxy cloth lay-up.

Just remembered I still haven't ordered a cap bank yet... Always something, any suggestions on mfg or type? I figured if the heat gun trick didn't work I would lay one up in fiberglass, still got to check into the vacuum forming.

Just got done looking at vacuum forming on YouTube and it looks super easy! Going to give it a shot when I finally get some time, I wonder how well it would work on acrylic because I've got a pile of it.

who should i go with as far as a cap bank is concerned?

Default rigger

ose has them

any particular brand or anything? should I go for one thats got 2, 4, or 6 caps or does it really matter?