Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a new impulse for $220 shiiped

Default Picked up a new impulse for $220 shiiped

Found a place on ebay selling them for $220 shipped, I could not pass a deal like that up.

What place is it?

powerhobby

Wow .... that is a great deal! Just checked on e-bay and didn't see any, so I called them ... looks like you got the last one. Salesperson said they sold the last one last night and won't be getting anymore because they have been discontinued. Offered me a good deal on a V2 model, but I passed on it.

Radio problems, hopefully they will make it right.
    Last edited by roadrashracing; 02-16-2013 at 10:53 AM.

They just wanted me to send it back for a refund, but I'll work with what I got.

Uh Oh! .... I just ordered one from NitroHobbies for $249 + shipping. I hope mine will be ok .... what kind of problems, if I may ask?

Time to get it ready, the motor mount nut came lose so I had to take it apart and rgluedit no biggie. I put clear epoxy on all the wood I could reach to help prevent mold growth. I also put a coat of resin on all the glass I could reach.

100_3758.jpg
    Last edited by roadrashracing; 02-16-2013 at 10:53 AM.

I took mine out of the box this afternoon, and the motor was significantly misaligned. It was at quite an angle (see photo)! Amazing how it left the factory like that and the person who installed could have not thought it would be a problem (??). It had the flexshaft more or less kinked. So, I decided to re-align it, which should have been no problem, except the motor mounting screws were so tight (almost like they had glue in the threads, which, now would not surprise me if they did) that the heads were more or less destroyed trying to get them loose.

Rather disappointing, to say the least ....

P2230079.jpg P2230078.jpg
    Last edited by bob_t; 02-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Thats pretty much how mine was, even down to the threads being tight. I ended up removing the wood and epoxying it.

roadrashracing ... question about the "radio problems" you had. Your comments peaked my interest, so I charged up 2 of my 2s packs and tried them in my "new" Impulse 31. ESC will not arm .... the receiver just sits there and flashes at a very fast rate (figured it out ... it boots up in the "bind mode" every time, even without the bind plug installed). Everytime you turn the esc/receiver switch "on", it goes into the bind mode (without the bind plug installed). If you turn on the tx first, and then the rx, the rx just sits there in the fast flash mode (bind mode). If you then turn the tx off, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on, the rx binds and goes through its normal routine ... my rx is defective. And, if that is not enough, I noticed that the back of the canopy has hairline cracks in the one corner!
    and
    Last edited by bob_t; 02-26-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: updated - figured out what the problem was

My problem was a defective radio and thats it. If the dealer you got it from is not an a horizon dealer horizon might not help, if you have that many problems I would just send it back, I think horizon would have you send it to them anyway. Don't call on monday mornings you will wait on hold for ever.

Dealer is an authorized PB dealer. When you say "radio", do you mean Tx or Rx? Dealer only corresponds by e-mail, so that will be slow. I talked to Horizon this morning, and they are being helpful, or at least willing to help. Just like you, if I send this one back to dealer, I have to pay all the shipping.

Thanks,
    Bob

tx/ transmitter

Yep,
    I noticed that the back of the canopy has hairline cracks

First couple runs you get on it and you will see a lot more.
    It is just made to cheap and thin or something about the gel coat and flex agents in the paint,
    You should not have to redo the hull on a new boat after a couple of runs on it.
    If it would have been done right in the first place,
    They had to see what was going on when they where testing it to sell.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by bob_t View Post
    Dealer is an authorized PB dealer. When you say "radio", do you mean Tx or Rx? Dealer only corresponds by e-mail, so that will be slow. I talked to Horizon this morning, and they are being helpful, or at least willing to help. Just like you, if I send this one back to dealer, I have to pay all the shipping.

Thanks,
    Bob
    what where you able to resolve?

That is Bull sh*t,
    How did you pay them for it ?
    You should put in some kind of a claim for a bad product that you received.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_t View Post

Thanks,
    Bob
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    what where you able to resolve?
    Dealer said sorry to hear that, and told me to contact Horizon .... I called Horizon Customer Support and they are going to send me a new rx, canopy, flexshaft, and motor mount. Horizon has been great to work with so far. I sent the Horizon customer support person the picture of how the motor was installed and they said they were going to pass that on to their quality control department.

These boats should not be going out like this period, not sure if they were throwing some together with extra parts or what.

Maybe it's why you got it so cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    Ads where listed in new condition, price should not be a factor.

No.... it was brand new, sold by an authorized dealer. They had several of them, not just "the one I got". The boat was brand new, that is for sure .... just poorly assembled and a defective rx (not sure they check every one before installing/shipping) and cracks in the canopy, even though the cracks and the mis-aligned motor should have been obvious. I don't think Horizon would knowingly ship one, or more, from the factory with defective parts since they know it would end up causing themselves a problem that they would most likely have to deal with (ie, fix) and end up with posts like this one, on FE boat websites about a defective product. But, on the other hand, I guess they may really never see what actually "gets put in the box" half way around the world.
    Last edited by bob_t; 02-26-2013 at 10:11 PM.

I don't know if dealing with disturbers is worth it ether, most of the time you need to deal with the manufacturer anyway.

New condition and brand new are two different things. Which is it?

Honestly I've never owned a proboat that did not have issues right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    price should not be a factor.
    Gee, you got a whole boat for less than I paid for a single motor, my boat requires 2 motors to run.

Harry
    60" Expresscraft SuperCat
    (2) 2028 Castle motors 64.7 mph
    10s3p with x450/3 props
    15,000 mah 40c cells,

Boy did you get bent over,
    You should save your money and just get a Traxxas Spartan.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sloppy View Post
    Gee, you got a whole boat for less than I paid for a single motor, my boat requires 2 motors to run.

Harry
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Brand new

New condition and brand new are two different things. Which is it?
    Brand new. Everything packaged from factory. Looks like the same shipping box that it arrived in when it was unloaded from the shipping container from China, just with a new shipping label (my address) slapped on the shipping box. I seriously doubt that the shipping box was ever opened from the day the "factory assembly person" put it in the box. It still had the copper staples in the ends of the shipping box. Probably would have been better if someone had opened the box and looked at it ....

Honestly I've never owned a proboat that did not have issues right out of the box.
    My MG29 and Mystic had no issues out of the box ... they were beautiful and everything worked just like it was supposed to. I fully expected the same with my new Impusle, too. My son's AQ Rio had issues, right out of the box, though, it had glue (the kind that melts into the plastic) dripped/smeared several places on the exterior of the boat and one of the coupler screws was stripped out, laying in the bottom of the boat. My friend machined a really nice brass coupler and tapped it for the set screws that is 10X better than the aluminum one that came with the boat. I have a brand new Revolt 30, too, still in the box, and have only taken it out of the box to remove the prop so I could sharpen and balance it. Just did a quick look over the boat and electronics, but nothing more ....
    Last edited by bob_t; 02-26-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast