Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks New Sport 40 (39" length) Hydroplane for FE or nitro

Default ML Boatworks New Sport 40 (39" length) Hydroplane for FE or nitro

GP335- 33.5" sport 20L

GP400- 39" sport 40

Well, I received a couple Sport 40 laser cut kits this morning, and begin framing them up to see how they looked. In the pics, you can see the Sport 20- 31" length, Sport 20L- 33.5" length, and the Sport 40- 39" length. As you can see from the picture, the shop has been busy! Enjoy, Mike

Last edited by cybercrxt; 05-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

More progress today on all the hulls, and did some initial fitting on my Sport 40, 6s1p either 45c 5000mah or 35c 6500mah setup, Neu 1521...Gonna be TONS of room in this thing! Mike

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Is that a Neu 1521 1y 1577kv motor and will 5000mah (6s1p) be enough capacity for a race?

If it isnt my 6500mah packs will! The 5000's are 45c, so i think they will be fine. Its the 1y motor yes. Mike

More done, and as you can see the first 20L and 40 hulls are rolling off the assembly line. I hope to have them both in the water in the next couple weeks! Enjoy, Mike

Got the 20L tested today. Review in the 20L thread! You will like what you hear!!! Sport 40 pics in that thread too! Mike

A picture is worth a thousand words. Nice boat, nice lawn, empty lot across the street, upside down mortgage, how do I get out from under it?

Interesting reply Detox...My mortgage is 20K to the good, can't speak for the other side of the street tho! You ever gonna want one of the whip 20 cowlings since I made the mold at your request????

Sorry. I was just rambling.

Still trying to decide which cowl looks best...your's or UL-1. I am just finishing my latest Whiplash build which I already had UL-1 cowl and cone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, well thats a no brainer! Mine looks much better! haha

You are a good guy cybercrxyt. To be honest, I liked your original Whiplash cowl's low shape. It just needed to be shortened for two piece
    Attached Images Attached Images

ok your boats are done lol get back to work on the 20 list :)
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Very impressive design ...just wanted to check in, follow the thread, and catch the maiden video when the time comes. Mike, do you think this boat is capable of running 8s with a 1527 1y without liftoff?

Riptide, i just got back into town today. I have the sport 40 ready for its first run tonight when i get home from work. 8s and 1527 is easily doable. I even put my motor mounts in so i could use a.1527 if i felt the hull will need one. Tons of room. I will let you know how the 6s run goes, and share some pics tonight. Fightercat is sending me a 4092 1600kv tp power to try out in the hull as well to do a direct comparison vs the 1521 1577kv Neu! We will really be able to compare apples to apples soon! Just hang tight. Things are gonna be more scattered now that i am working again. I have a lot of people emailing me asking about the sport 40 kit. Talk soon, Mike

Got the sport 40 in the water tonight...Wow, is all I have to say. The bigger these hulls get, the better and better they are! It was 15-20mph winds, 4" chop, and the hull just busted into it in the 60's like it was no big deal. Neu 1521 and castle hydra ice 240a esc came back cool, and 45c 5000mah 6s1p hyperion packs, and the 35c 6500mah 6500mah hyperion packs in the 2nd run all came back just warm. Nothing abnormal at all. This hull is going to be very very fast once I get some other props on there. I was running a 1450 tonight, and it was cookin! I hope to have some videos of these hulls running soon. My race buddy is in Jamaica with his wife this week, so it will possibly be late this weekend if I can get him out to the pond! Mike

I am glad to see you working again. I hope you like it and good luck with it.

Thanks Detox, it will take a load off me honestly!

Nice job on the boat. Looks like a winner to me. ...... and congrats on the "+" mortgage Cyber!!

As some of you may your may not know, I was offered my old job back last week, and decided to take the job. It is forcing me to restructure the builds I have on the list. Some that are not prepaids are dropping off, espcially if I have not had contact with that person in a while. Once I get that backlog caught up, I will then be more open to adding any additional builds to the list. If you do not see your name on the build list, please PM me about it, and I will offer you a kit to build. I just have to get some of the hulls that had deposits on them done, and done soon. Its put a lot of pressure on me, and its time to get those settled up. Here is the current build, and kit list for all the sport hydros. If you ordered a tunnel, or scale build, you will not see your name on this list anyways as its only for the sport hydro crowd. Thanks, Mike

Sport 20
    1) ron1950- STARTED
    2) MarylandFE- STARTED
    3) Mike Buck- w/ paintwork STARTED
    4) Roger Mahan STARTED
    5) Jason Boushard kit on site- paintwork

Sport20L

1) Roger Mahan STARTED
    2) Grazacind STARTED

Sport 40
    1) Bert Dygert- STARTED

Sport 20 kit
    1) Joseph Weilnau
    2) JRS innovations

Sport20L Kit-
    1) Todd- Clueless1- kit shipped from laser cutter

While I have been back at my full time job for about 2 weeks now, I have been finding time every night to get something done to the sport hydro build list. I am very close to having all of the hull actually in one piece, and depending on what happens from there, some will be ready to ship this week!

I did make it out to the pond yesterday, a new pond that is full size where I can really stretch the hulls out...finally, after 4 years of running in a puddle! It has become very obvious that all of these hulls REALLY like an X series 2 blade prop. The sport 40, with a 1521 1Y 1577kv on 6s power, ran a stock, cleaned up x455 yesterday, and it ran so clean. I had been running an ABC H7, but wanted to see what the X series would do, and it just got the rear of the boat way up, and the hull stablized, and moved out. I have a 1527 1.5D 1500kv motor on the way right now for that hull, so I can push it even further.

The Sport 20L is fast right now. I would say its a touch faster than the sport 40, but that is only due to the TP Power 4082, 2200kv motor is a great choice for this boat. Its big enough to run cool, but not so big that I had to rearrange anything to get it to fit after pulling out the 1415 castle. (The 1521 1Y in the sport 40, to me, might be a little on the small side for a hull that size. It comes back cool, but the x455 started warming it up some) The more I run the sport 20L, the more impressed I am with the 82 series TP power. It comes back very cool. Right now, the hull has a highly modified ABC H5, but the next time I run, I am going to put on an x445, then x447 and see how it does. Being so pleased with the X series on the Sport 40, I have to get one of the 20L as I think it will let the hull run flatter.

Now that I have a good pond to run in, I hope to get some good videos if I can get my co pilot to stay in town for a weekend. No matter, I am accumulating setup data every time I run the boats, so if anyone has any questions, I can definately guide you in the right direction. Well, its time to get in the garage. I have a lot of time today to work on the builds! Mike

Well, I got to the new pond today, unfortunately a car show was going on, and the car show bunnies would not let me park in my normal spot which allows for normal oval running, so I had to run like you see in the videos of the GP335 and GP400. The water was abnormally calm today. Usually its been really rough, and this lineup of hulls REALLY likes the rough stuff. I will make more videos when the water is worse with some wind to show you they perform even better under pressure! Right now, I am going to say the GP335 is faster than the GP400. I am really thinking about making a 36" GP360 for 6s power as I think the GP400 could be a really great 8s hull. The GP335 is running a TP power 4082 2200kv motor and fightercat 2-8s 240a esc. They are coming back cool, along with the 6600mah 4s 45c hyperion setup. The GP400 is running a 1527 1.5d 1500kv motor and Castle hydra ice 240a lv esc. The temps on them are fine, but I found out today that the 6500mah 6s1p 35c hyperions I am running need to have the ground wire shortened inside the battery shrink. I did not realize the ground wire ran the length of the pack, and it gets hot. The cells were fine, but the wire is stressed from that added length. None the less, both hulls ran really nice today. I am learning that x4 series octura 2 blade props are the way to go on these hulls. The GP335 was running a cut down to 45mm x450, and the GP400 is running an x455. Enjoy, Mike

GP335

GP400

Ohhhhhh boyyyyyyy
    Here we go again::::::: another beast

Here is the updated list. As you can see, things are getting finished up with the sport hydro list!

Sport 20

1) MarylandFE- Built, finalizing
    3) Mike Buck- Built, finalizing
    4) Roger Mahan Built, finalizing
    5) Jason BoushardBuilt, finalizing

Sport20L

1) Roger Mahan Built, finalizing
    2) GrazacindBuilt, shipping tomorrow

Whats left of the list!

Sport 20

1) MarylandFE- shipping tomorrow
    3) Mike Buck- finishing in the next week or so

GPS'ed 66.4mph in the GP400 saturday morning. Finally getting the boat aired out and rollin! That was on half run packs btw, so I suspect with a full charge the speeds were a little higher. Mike

Build list is now finished! yay!

Anyone finished their builds yet??

Layed down 68mph with an x457 in the GP400 this weekend on radar in heat trim. Can't wait for my prop tools to arrive so I can do up something nice! Mike

Met up with some friends in VA today. Got John Finch to get behind the wheel so I could video this for you guys. I think this might even be the first time John has driven an FE boat! When he got done running, we discussed some things to make it even better. The first thing is getting the rudder on the right side of the transom instead of the left. He felt when the boat blew off in the video it was because he had zero rudder input at the time, where he had been giving it a touch of right rudder during the rest of the running, and the boat lifted the sponson. He felt the right side rudder mounting would help eliminate that. The 10-15mph quartering wind didn't help either! Anyways, the rudder was shortened up today and the boat picked up 5-6mph, so I was very happy about that! Maybe this will help show you what this boat is all about! Enjoy, Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast