Thread: Ride pads and blue printing???

Default Ride pads and blue printing???

What's all the talk about blue printing the ride pads?? What does it to for performance? If someone is willing to take time and link me to somewhere that explains a step by step to do it or a video, that would be greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty sure blue printing is making the ride pads flat if I'm not mistaken, by using bondo or such.

look for the Race prep post in the Geico forum by Darin Jordan same hull as the mystic
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Ok where could I get body filler from? My local ace hardware has body filler but it has METAL adhesives? Will that still work? Or do I need some sort of fiberglass adhesive stuff?

auto paint store
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Does your hull need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    Does your hull need it?
    I don't know I got to thinking about it and thought it wasn't worth it cause after digging a little deeper, it sounds like it is only gonna benefit u in a racing atmosphere, and I'm only gonna be running it around for fun

When you fill the pads your getting rid of hollows that hold the hull down & affect performance, you also need to make sure all the edges (side & rear edges)of the ride pads are nice & sharpe without any radius on them.

Walmart carries bondo kits, use the light weight stuff, not the kind that has fg in it because its just to hard to sand for our applacation, just my two cents worth, I tryed it and it's a pain to sand, but the light weight is no problem.

Just use auto body filler paste that dosnt have any fibre glass in it. It drys fast & is easy to sand, some even says easy sand on the tin.

if your going to blue print, before you fill anything, might want to actually sand the ride pads first and see if you can get the dips out that way....

On several of the MG/Mystic hulls I've done, a simple block sanding reveled the low spots and helped to get things close. One pass with some decent filler (I use Feather Fill lightweight body filler), then some touchup got me most of the way there. A heavy-build primer can help with the finishing up also.

Is all this necessary?? No... Will it dramatically improve the performance of the boat?? That depends on what you expect from it. It's not the one answer to perfecting this package, but it's a solid component of it.

My Race Prep thread shows clearly how to perform all of this.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Well stated Darin!