Thread: 1st build, Chris' PT Stealth Hydro

Default 1st build, Chris' PT Stealth Hydro

This is my first build, I bought the boat as a kit off of the forum here. I had a spare castle creations 1515 1Y 2200kv motor from another boat purchase and it need a home. so here goes.

Phil Thomas hydro
    CC 1515 1Y 2200KV
    CC Hydra ice 240
    Etti 540 motor mount
    Speedmaster 21 strut & rudder
    Kintec racing super duty turn fin brkt
    UL-1 2mm Aquacraft Fin AQUB9539 from Kintec
    Hitech 645MG servo
    Aeromarine antenna mount
    Sharpened and balanced Octura M445 from Rocket City Racing
    battery trays and straps from OSE

I first mounted the the strut, rudder and turn fin so I could set my COG around 15.5-16" from transom for placement of batteries, stuffing tube and motor.

mounting hardware. I marked the center of the transom by placing the boat on a flat table and used a sqaure to place my vertical lines. I like to make crosshairs for all my drill hole so I can tell when my drill bit starts to drift off center. then marked placement of motor mount.

turn fin bracket. There was already a vertical line for placement of bracket onto sponson. I set the bracket as close to the bottom of the sponson as I could marked the first hole. then used the sqare again to set a vertical line measured the other holes and set crosshairs. There is an aluminum back plate in the sponson so I drilled and taped for 3mm screws.(put a small drop of oil on tap to keep aluminum from sticking to tap)

stuffing tube & motor mount. I did my suffing tube before securing my motor mount. Once I had my stuffing tube set in place I used carbon fiber cloth and epoxy to secure it. then did the alignment for the motor & mount, tacked mount with ca glue and secured with CF-epoxy. My CF was 5.7oz and was a little hard to work with and the ends wanted to come apart while applying the epoxy.

battery trays. I had cut away the inner tube where the batteries were going to be placed during my setup of the COG. I just scuffed the bottom of the tray at the corners and in the center of each side for adhesion to epoxy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fla350tt; 10-13-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Default servo mount

next was the servo mount. I had an aluminum one come with the boat, but I really didn't like that set up. So this is what I came up with after seeing Darin's servo install on his stealth. I used 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle, 1/8 in thick carbon fiber plate( 2 pieces). 8-32 screws and sqaure nuts. the bottom plate is cut so the sqaure nuts touch the plate so they can not turn. Then epoxied the plates together. Im drilled some indentions in the boat where the servo was to be located for some extra adhesion and epoxied. but made sure not to have any epoxy overflow the sides where the square nuts are located.

Default transome widening

Right now I am in the process of widening the transome to make it NAMBA legal.

NAMBA Rule: Electric
    E. Specialty Classes
    1. Sport Hydro Classes
    c. Hull Specs
    vii. The width of the transom bottom shall be no less than 65% of the
    width between the inside edges of the front sponson planing surfaces.
    An exception to this will apply to scratch build scale designs of full
    sized boats that are full bodied 3 points hydroplanes but have an
    afterplane that tapers sharply at the transom. Example: Lauterbach
    shovelnoses.
    The measurement between my sponsons was 283mm(65% of 283=183.95).I am going to use 1/8 carbon fiber plate epoxied to the side of the boat. I took some blua masking tape and put on the boat, maked edges with a pencil to get the shape I need. Remove tape, stick to CF plate and cut out. after adding to boat I was only at 182mm to I laid 2 layersof 5.7oz CF cloth to the sides and waiting for it to dry.
    Last edited by fla350tt; 10-13-2012 at 07:36 AM.

I had the UL-1 turn fin, the thicker black one, on my Stealth and had problems with it flexing and it started to bend. My buddy ended up making me a fin for it.

Quote Originally Posted by marko500 View Post
    I had the UL-1 turn fin, the thicker black one, on my Stealth and had problems with it flexing and it started to bend. My buddy ended up making me a fin for it.
    thanks for the heads up. I have already had the boat in the water but i have not done any full throttle turns since I have no floatation installed yet.

The UL-1 fin was fine the first 10 or so times that I ran it. Then the handling and turning felt "different" and we noticed the bend.

update: the boat has been dropped off to the painter. I forgot to stop by and check it out friday, so hopefully i can get bt tomorrow and see it with some paint on it.

Default pics

004.jpg003.jpg

I forgot to upload pics. Boat runs and looks great, just don't have a club to run it with.

Very nice love the paint