Thread: What paint to use? Mini zippkit jae

Default What paint to use? Mini zippkit jae

Almost done finally building my mini zippkit rigger. I am going to sand it real good and brush on zap finishing resin. Hit it with a gun to let it flow a little bit. Then scuff it with fine sand paper. From there I am lost as to what I should use. Do I need a primer or does the epoxy act as a super primer. And what type of paint. I am seeing everything from krypton fusion to rustoleum. Just curios what the best results come from. I don't have a spray gun so I need rattle can paint. Thanks guys

Randy at BBY Racing recommended Paint Shop Duplicolor lacquer when I asked him the same question. The best thing is there is no recoat window- no sanding between coats and repair is easy since you don't have to sand the whole boat before you paint. And definitely use primer. I use a Scotchbrite pad to scuff the primer before applying color and you don't have to sand before applying the clear. I think they have some colors in spray cans. And a tip someone gave me is to wax the boat at least where it's going to be taped- helps keep the tape from pulling off the paint. I haven't tried the wax yet because when I read that, all my ponds were iced over-LOL.

You might want to invest in a small compressor and a small spray gun. Compressed air is REAL handy and you don't need a large, expensive compressor. Mine is a 1 1/2 or two gallon and it works fine.
    Last edited by morewattsnow; 01-16-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    Fast Electrics Have A Small Carbon Wake