Thread: how to remove flexshaft

Default how to remove flexshaft

i have a microhydro thats a few years old. i pulled it off of the shelf and the flex shaft is sticking and i wanted to take it out to inspect it and grease it but im having trouble getting it out. does it come out the back or the front? i removed all of the screws from both ends and cant get it to budge. any help? thanks

You should get in contact with Jim, he might be able to give you suggestions. That said, I am not familiar with the microhydro, I know those bearings in the strut has tight torlerance (I have two Samurai, a Starship Outrigger and a Mini-Eco) and it is possible that there is rust/corrosion as you haven't run it for a few years.
    The flexshaft comes out the back. I don't know if it is possible to take down the strut and pull the strut away from the stuffing tube, that way the flex shaft comes out with the strut, seems easier to then solve your problem. Use some WD-40 inside the strut if you can take it down. I would be careful to not let WD-40 come in contact with the hull. ( Just a precautionary heads up)

Hello dtbmx522,

tlandauer is correct. I have two micro hydros, one of the first generation and one of the new 2nd generation micro hydros and both of their shafts come out the back of the strut. I had a similar issue after running mine in saltwater and didn't pull the shaft to re-grease it. I had to keep working the shaft back and forth and used some really light lubricant like wd40 or 3 in 1 oil to get down into the tube. After a few twists and terns it came out. Hopefully this helps. What I done from now on with all my boats is I remove the flex shaft when putting the boats up for storage if I'm not going to run within a few days.

Joshua

Hi Joshua,
    How do you like your Micro Hydro, I ask because I always wondered how they perform w/o the turn fin? I have a DF MiniVortex, about the same size but with a HUGE turn fin, I like that boat very much but was also wondering about this hydro. Also is it a tight fit for the battery?
    Thanks ,
    Tim

Hey Tim,
    I love the Micro Hydro, those little boat run really nice and stable considering their size. Mine performs good without the turn fin but a lot of people say it will handle a lot better with a turn fin mounted on the stern on the right side. I'm in the process of try to find a suitable turn fin for mine. The batteries are tiny bit tight until you get them into the sponson once in there they can move back and forth real easy to find the center of gravity which is very important with these hulls. I use 3 different brand lipos. Hyperion 3s 2100mah 25c, Flight Power 3s 2200mah 20c and the Zippy 3s 2200mah 20c. I also have a sky lipo 4s 1600mah 30c I ordered to try for a little more speed since according to Tehshocks website the motor is capable of 88,000 rpms.

Joshua

Thanks Joshua,That is good to know. Also for all the info regarding batt. size and capacity, exactly what I have always wanted to know!
    I think I might just get one. I am somewhat skeptical about how Tenshock rates their motor tho, lol...
    Keep us posted with your 4s run,
    Tim

Hi,
    Are they smaller than the HK mini bolt ?
    Have any pictures or videos of yours Joshua ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Hey,
    Just a tip. A little heat helps,
    Next time you have a shaft that is really stuck bad !
    Heat the flex tube at the transom.
    But first cover that area of the hull with foil to keep the heat away from it,
    Then I would use the electric stove burner on low or a mini torch,
    And let it touch the tube at the transom till it gets warm at the tube where the coupler is.
    Than add some Wd 40 OR Pb blaster and let it cool and it should free up.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

@Tim: Once I get the 4s lipo I will let you know how it performs.
    @Lenny: sorry no videos as yet. Will post up some pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Hey,
    Just a tip. A little heat helps,
    Next time you have a shaft that is really stuck bad !
    Heat the flex tube at the transom.
    But first cover that area of the hull with foil to keep the heat away from it,
    Then I would use the electric stove burner on low or a mini torch,
    And let it touch the tube at the transom till it gets warm at the tube where the coupler is.
    Than add some Wd 40 OR Pb blaster and let it cool and it should free up.
    Hello Lenny,
    Did you have any trouble with the heat damaging the liner?

Thanks
    Joshua

Hey guys here's a quick video of my CF Micro Hydro running in some windy conditions and the battery was just about dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJTU0LatmI
    Last edited by bracka69; 02-19-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks for posting the vid. Looks like it can handle some chops! I got a much better/needed idea about this little hydro. Just love it! Nice place you are at!

Thanks Tim. Yeah we do all of our running in the ocean since we don't have lakes on my island. We have a few large ponds but they have dried up do to no rain for a while.