Hey guys,

Questions for you about a AQ 60A ESC I smoked on Sunday...looking for something I may have missed before I run again, and potentially take out another ESC.
Thanks in advance for your helpful insight...I learn a lot from you!!!

Sorry this is a bit long...just didn't want to miss any details.

Narrative:
I swapped out the AQ1500 motor in my SV27 Saturday night for an AQ1800 I had picked up on the forum here, but I had not yet used. I tested the setup on the bench to make sure the motor was wired correctly and no problems.
Sunday afternoon I went out to the lake to test it out. AQ60ESC (newer version), MR 200/DX2.0, (2) 2S Zippy 5800. I plugged the batteries in, armed the ESC, and tested the servo. I put on the hatch cover and taped up for a windy run. Before I launched I realized I hadn't run the motor to make sure I had good rotation so I gave it some throttle and the prop just jittered (COG'd) I let off the throttle and eased into it again...same thing, this time followed by a healthy POP!.....2-3 seconds.....POP#2!!!!!

I let the boat sit on the tailgate of my truck, smoke pushing it's way around the tape for about a minute while I contemplated throwing the whole works into the lake. Well, with no more popping or signs of a hull melting fire, I donned gloves and goggles and started cautiously removing tape to find the ESC had been the cause of the POP and had gotten REALLY hot, the red battery wire into the ESC had liberated itself (thankfully) and it appeared that the goo and magic smoke was from the motor wire end, not the CAP end.

Here's where I am:
In the aftermath of the explosion I pulled the motor and removed the end bell. I saw no signs of shorting internally nor of the input wires. I added extra heat shrink to each of the 3 input wires as far down as i could go, followed by a heavy shrink wrap around all three and reasembled. I installed new batteries and my old AQ 45A ESC and applied power (with the ESC sitting in an old 49 Ford hubcap). Everything worked fine, ESC good, motor spun over fine at WOT for a good 5 count. My orignal batteries were good and took a charge no problem. I see no chafed wires, loose or missing heat shrink, etc...

Questions (if I haven't put you to sleep yet:)
- Anything else I should look at?
- Will the older style AQ 45A ESC supply the 1800kv motor fine on 42/55 prop?
- Any good ideas for removing the stank from this hull??? :)
We have plenty of blown electronics where I work, but I really never trouble myself with the stink. This boat on the other hand almost needs to sit outside for a while WHEW! Any make boat tree air fresheners?

Again, thanks for any advice you have.
Corey

Here's a pic of my current layout:
SV27-1_After.jpg