Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 West Florida Model boat club, Sarasota, FL

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Chris, any luck on the bouy floats yet?
    Nothing (yet) locally.

Something like this would be, I think, Ideal.

http://www.seaboundsupply.com/bao-lo...FWYV7Aod6TkAfg

Look here at the 7 1/2 " Styrofoam Crab Floats, 12 for $30.00 or 25 for $57.50
    http://www.brunsonnet.com/index.cfm?...category_id=57

If you use a Noodle Float with a ring on the bottom of it, and a large wire tie on the top. The line from the anchor comes up through the ring with a weight hanging down, so it automatically adjusts for water level. The combination of the Noodle float and the counter weight is only enough to barely hold it too or just below the surface. The Crab Float is held on by using a large wire tie that is only held on by folding it flat and pulling it through the hole in the middle of the crab float. If the are hit, the will just pull off with little damage to the float or your boat.
    I have seen these used many times in R/C boat racing, they can take many hits.
    We could have a $1.00 fine for hitting a Buoy, or a larger fine for destroying a Buoy.

The club in London Ontario Canada uses this method with great success.
    They order there's from Florida.
    I have seen these for sale in Florida by the dozen or the box of 30 or 50 floats.
    A 10" Dia. or even a 12" Dia. would be nice.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

That's pretty much exactly how we are going to set them up. the reason for us having to re-do the course is mother nature, not from hitting bouys. Im not really one to want to fine folks for hitting them. just my .02.

i think the waveblasters use nylon rope also..it doesent rot quit as quickly
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Hi guys. Selling some stuff. Baseball is my life. Someone requested a vid of my whip running. If anyone has on old vid, please forward. Thanks and I hope the club is doing well.
    Boats don't win races, drivers do.

Are we doing any work at the lake this weekend?

Mike, if you check my Youtube page and go back to the year we ran at your house on New Years day there may be some of it there. Bad thing is that was before I started cataloging them and there's a bunch to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by HRC View Post
    Are we doing any work at the lake this weekend?
    Hi Dave. That's what I was coming here for but got sidetracked with Mike's query.

Sunday blows (literally) for flying planes so I could make it out if we have the stuff to do it with.
    The winds aren't supposed to be that bad, but with them coming from the south I'm not going to try maidening a new plane in crosswind landing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    Hi Dave. That's what I was coming here for but got sidetracked with Mike's query.

Sunday blows (literally) for flying planes so I could make it out if we have the stuff to do it with.
    The winds aren't supposed to be that bad, but with them coming from the south I'm not going to try maidening a new plane in crosswind landing conditions.
    Sure don`t need a oops first time out Bill. Guess we will see if Scott or Chris had any luck finding markers.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Ive got no markers in hand yet. Chris have you had a chance to stop in wherever you were gunna stop?
    I've checked a couple of places with no luck. The only thing I have seen locally are the floats used on swimming pool safety lines at around $10 a pop.

Similar to these:

ETA;

I think we would be better off ordering some from a commercial fishing supplier like the one I linked to in my above post (#332).

Hmmm, guess maybe I should change the website 4th Sunday running to a work party day and have Scott mail order some of the floats?

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    Hmmm, guess maybe I should change the website 4th Sunday running to a work party day and have Scott mail order some of the floats?
    Sounds good

I stumbled upon these today while in, of all places, Crowder Bros. Hardware - they had dozens of them and the $ is reasonable.

Whatcha think?

Bp7ktyC.jpg
    nIuvnxi.jpg

looks like we got a winner there. specally at 2 dollars a throw
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by osprey21 View Post
    I stumbled upon these today while in, of all places, Crowder Bros. Hardware - they had dozens of them and the $ is reasonable.

Whatcha think?

Bp7ktyC.jpg
    nIuvnxi.jpg
    Looks like a winner. Great find Chris.

OK, I'll get enough to do the course.

Bill, are the 3 you have the same size as these?

They look just like those Chris. By eyeball they are the same size. The 3 in my possession are the leftovers that Ray bought a couple years ago.

Yep, same ones I was buying a few years ago. If they are going to be subsurface holding points, you are going to need something seriously heavy to hold them under water.

Weighing in at approx 35lbs it should more than suffice.

I live in Lakewood ranch, I was wanting to come down on your next rwyb day and meet you guys. I would like to join the club

Hey guys how do i post pictures? sorry i didnt make it last sunday. had something come up

Quote Originally Posted by DR_NISMO86 View Post
    Hey guys how do i post pictures? sorry i didnt make it last sunday. had something come up
    Click the IMAGE icon (3rd from right in the row of buttons just above text box) click COMPUTER then SELECT FILES - click on pic you want to show - click UPLOAD FILE(S) and you're done.

OR... if you have a picture host (I use IMGUR) just copy the image URL and paste it between [img] * [/img]
    Last edited by osprey21; 07-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.

I just bought six more buoys so that makes 10 counting the three Bill has, and I talked with Scott, he's going to get the concrete blocks and look for some rope. Anyone have a 'line' on some descent rope?

What about some clothes line rope? I can pickup some while out this week ?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboat 5000 View Post
    I live in Lakewood ranch, I was wanting to come down on your next rwyb day and meet you guys. I would like to join the club
    Would be happy to see you and get with Scott our club Pres. to join. A great bunch of guys.

Chris thanks for grabbing the floats.

So Ray, theyre the same as what we used to have on the surface? Id think a full CMU will hold it down.

As for the line, we need to make sure it can stand the water and not weaken and break. I was thinking more along the line of what they use for the crab trap bouys, the black line, which I think is what used to be on them below the bungies. Im even considering a sleeve or some type of protectant between the block and the rope to prevent chafing.

Powerboat, welcome to come out anytime however the next meet we may be doing more working than running, if we run at all. I don't plan on bringing any boats myself.

Sounds good! When is your next meeting at Ackerman?

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast