Thread: Replacement Propeller strut for Proboat Mystic

Default Replacement Propeller strut for Proboat Mystic

My bushings are gone, and the strut is coming apart. Which replacement should I get? I was looking at these two: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=oct-struts and http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80975
    The OEM is Back ordered till February 2013. and I'd like to not be outta the water that long. any help is appreciated. Thanks

How on earth does a strut come apart?

Maybe post a wtb thread. Someone might have a spare. Honestly neither of those look great for your boat

I put a speedmaster. 21 strut on mine just a few minor mods are needed its almost a direct replacement

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Im Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What You Understand

Did you go with the round or flat strut? and was it the mono or hydro?
    how much mod work did you do?

i used the round mono as for the mods it was just making the mounting bracket fit think i had to spread it a little is all

Quote Originally Posted by MAMBA2200 View Post
    I put a speedmaster. 21 strut on mine just a few minor mods are needed its almost a direct replacement
    That's the route I'd take as well....

OR....

I put one of these on my Miss Geico that I ran at the 2012 Nats, and it worked really well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-s...item20c34723c4

Cornering was amazing. I ended up trimming down the skag a bit to free up the boat for the setup I was running, but otherwise, the strut is a nice piece, and fits well... I did have to open up the forward end slightly to fit over the factory stuffing tube.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks guys, I kinda like that skeg. Here's the problem that I've encountered, prop strut.jpg and here's the boat: red whit cracker mystic.jpg
    Darin what do you mean open up the forward end? like with a drill bit or reamer?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Thanks guys, I kinda like that skeg. Here's the problem that I've encountered, prop strut.jpg and here's the boat: red whit cracker mystic.jpg
    It looks like something must be out of balance or otherwise not spinning true. I've been running this hardware since the very first MG entered the country, and have never had one come apart like that. Check your driveline for trueness, and make sure the prop is balanced. I suspect you'll find that prop nut is adding to the problem.

Darin what do you mean open up the forward end? like with a drill bit or reamer?
    I don't recall exactly what I had to do... it's been awhile, but I remember having to make a mod of some kind to get the stuffing tube to fit correctly. I believe I had to open up the forward end of the strut a tad (the cone piece). Sorry, I don't remember the exact details. I might have actually fitted the stock nose-cone piece to the new strut... Again, sorry, I just don't recall at the moment...

Darin, do you have a picture handy, that I can see what you're describing?

Darin, do you have a picture handy, that I can see what you're describing?
    Sorry, I don't... the boat is packed away and I don't think I put any pics of the new strut online...

Default Strut

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-s...item20c34723c4

This looks pretty nice, but is the strut on backwards in the pics?

sure looks like it is backwards ... blunt end leading, sharp end trailing ...

Or ... maybe they just drive it in "reverse" all the time

That's the one I have on my MG, and it's a nice quality piece. The skag is too long for the application. IT works very well, but you lose a lot of speed when you turn the rudder. I ground mine down to about 1/4" long. Otherwise, it is a truely nice piece for this application. You can open up the holes in your existing strut mounts so they can be slid outward slightly, and then this wider strut will fit between them.

You will likely have to modify the side of the leading end opening to fit the factory stuffing tube.

Go for it!

Default Question

These things are so much fun, I know how we all like to modify them, but what is the advantage of this over the stock setup?

Quote Originally Posted by MORIDE View Post
    These things are so much fun, I know how we all like to modify them, but what is the advantage of this over the stock setup?
    Much improved strut bushing... The stock strut bushings wear quickly and get pretty loose...

Thanks Darin, I appreciate all your posts and insight about these boats, I have a Mystic and MG, I also have allot of RC products and I think these are the best stock performance products that I own. I know we all mod them as have I, but they are really great out of the box actually.

Quote Originally Posted by MORIDE View Post
    Thanks Darin, I appreciate all your posts and insight about these boats, I have a Mystic and MG, I also have allot of RC products and I think these are the best stock performance products that I own. I know we all mod them as have I, but they are really great out of the box actually.
    You are welcome.

Just like the nylon bushings that used to come in the Traxxas Stampedes, and other "production compromises" that exist in almost any RTR RC vehicle, none of these are perfect. What I tried to do with these was get Pro Boat to focus on providing a solid base platform... the important, hard to change stuff, like hulls, motor layout, etc., and make everything else relatively simple to swap out for better quality stuff, once the stock parts wore, out. Seems to have worked thus far.

I like these boats as well... I think I'll have a BJ29 and a new IM31 V2 to run for this season... Looking forward to trying to continue the development!

I just installed that strut with the skeg on it, and with little modifcations to the piece it fits really well. now, I've just got to test it. thats the fun part. as far as modifications went, I had to grind the main strut because it was too wide to match the dual stock rudder assemblies that I made, and slide the engine back on the mounts to suck up the flex cable. other than that, it looks wicked. Dual Rudders, with a skeg on the Prop Strut. Thanks for the Help Everyone and Darin.

got any pics of the finished product i would love to see it

Here's the pics guys, I'll have more soon.
    how do you like the dual rudder setup? As im looking to do that to mine.

It handles really well, she turns on a dime. more so now than it did before.

Looks interesting... Will be interested to hear how it works...

Just a little advice... the stuffing tube appears to be bent down below the level of the strut. You should really try to reshape it to get it to be a smoother bend to the strut. A pain, I know... this brass is pretty hard from China.

On my Elam, I had to do it by carefully covering the bottom of the hull with wet rags, etc... pulling the teflon and flexshaft out, and then "annealing" the metal so it would bend easier...

You definitely don't want it hanging down below the level of the strut if you can avoid it.

awesome, thanks for the tip.

Here ya go guys, I figured yall would be interested as to how she handles. it was a little windy lastnight, but it was the only free time I could grab.

Take 1 http://youtu.be/DADBXgZB4Vw

Take 2 http://youtu.be/4gn_vN1_u3g