Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBY MHz 44 mystic

Joining thread.....nice work

Soldered the flex shafts too late in the day to set the motor mounts ready for me in the morning
    0 019.jpg
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Looking good randy....what size flex are u using ? Just a side note I tried outura collets on my lehner 2240/7's and there was a ton of vibrations , but when I put my MBP collets on there was none what so ever. So if you are gonna be spinning some real high rpm's I can only recommend the mbp collets. They are the only ones I will use on all of my setups.

very nice works Randy,
    i'm using MHZ collets and i'm very happy with them
    IMAG2151.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    Looking good randy....what size flex are u using ? Just a side note I tried outura collets on my lehner 2240/7's and there was a ton of vibrations , but when I put my MBP collets on there was none what so ever. So if you are gonna be spinning some real high rpm's I can only recommend the mbp collets. They are the only ones I will use on all of my setups.
    I will use a .002 or.003 shim wrapped around the shaft all the way and that eliminates vibrations. Thanks for the consern. It will not be a hard thing to chenge if they do vibrate. I have done this befor with good results. It is 3/16 flex shaft
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Randy,

I will second the vote to switch to the MBP collets. They run exceptionally true with no vibration. They also have the best grip of any two piece collet I have used thus far. I have spun them over 50k RPM with no problems. If you need to use shim stock that would be my first red flag.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Randy,

I will second the vote to switch to the MBP collets. They run exceptionally true with no vibration. They also have the best grip of any two piece collet I have used thus far. I have spun them over 50k RPM with no problems. If you need to use shim stock that would be my first red flag.

TG
    This build was to have all German parts in it, the collets from MHZ were missing. This is a customers boat and a lot of the final decisions are up to them. Do you have a link to the MBP collets? I really like the Hydro Marine collets. I think I do know the MBP ones the web site has a funny picture of the owner??? I respect all your inputs, But I have ran in the high nineties with this method (Octura couplers) too.

If it was my boat I would not use the Bulk head motor mounts. I really never leave only one motor in my boats. Really in my Opinion I prefer the HPR hardware over this MHZ PIA to install and maintain hardware.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Randy,

Here is the link to the "expert line" of hardware that MBP produces. http://mbp-rc.de/MBP

You can also order them stateside from Rocket City Racing. http://www.rocketcityracing.com/MBP_bymfg_89-3-1.html

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Ya that is the web site I was thinking of. Thanks, I will forward the info to my customer.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Mbp gets me my orders from him to new york in a weeks time. Brian at rocket city is great to deal with as well. I cant stress how precise along with how nice those collets from mbp work. .......

Yes we are going with the MBP couplers it is confirmed.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Brian is out of them and we are waiting for them to be received in stock.

We should talk props a little I was planning on cutting down a set of X447 right and left to start with, but really like the three blade props in right and left. It is impossible to be up on every prop in the world so I am open for suggestions. I now that the 4516/3 was mentioned before I think it is a ABC. I will be at the races tomorrow so we have time on this too.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

A 47 is what I got my 104 mph pass with but I also run a set of 47's cut to 44 with some mods to it. Your 2250's will turn a 47 no problem. If u want a 3 blade go with 4516's they're a great set of proos but just watch set-up closely at first as they do load the motors much more. A prop size just a tad to big really can make Amps go through the roof.

I have spun 648/3 450/3 and 457 cut to 52 on those motors but on low rpm! And in a 54" hull aswell. But they were in wye mode and 8s max with 448/2. If running in delta on 4s you are already in the mid 30k' on 5s you should be fine with a 447 but 6s is pushing it extremely!! Your amps will be through the roof and any normal ESC will most likely fail. I would restrict this setup to 5s with 442-447' for speeds up to around the 100mph mark. If setup up properly and with big ESC's on 6s, you could be around the 115mph with the right prop.
    Visit www.customcfparts.com | Custom Boat Building | Custom Carbon Fiber Parts | Custom Graphics | LMT Premium Dealer | MGM Premium Dealer | YouTube | Facebook
    "Follow someone's footsteps and you will always be a step behind"

Thanks for the info guys this will give us a starting place.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Randy, how do you mount the uppers to the out drives so they are pointing straight and are even? Thanks. Nice build. Obviously you have great skills/track record for building if you were trusted with such a gem like this.
    Nortavlag Bulc

BTW, counter rotating flex couplers are available on the web.... L & R threaded couplers are cool BUT, MBP's are perfect.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Randy, how do you mount the uppers to the out drives so they are pointing straight and are even? Thanks. Nice build. Obviously you have great skills/track record for building if you were trusted with such a gem like this.
    I am doing my best work on this project. The HPR hardware is easier to mount and get stright. A lot of measuring and test fitting is necessary I am a 32 year Master Jeweler and Diamond setter, I Retired ten years ago. I have a extensive amount of tools that help a lot, a Fordom flex shaft is a big part of the equation. I start small with the holes I drill and push them the way I want them to go as I fit the parts. Patience is a big part of the build and on nights I am stressed the next day I do not work on the boat.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

On the shelf when not being worked on safe and sound.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Randy
    BBY Racing

I knew I should have started 5 years ago as a polisher... I wonder if I can still try to get in... actually maybe it was almost 1o years ago I was talking to a jeweler about getting started in the trade or art. I didn't know that was your bread and butter so to say. Steve V. sells Jewellery correct?... are you two in cahoots? lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

I worked a S&T Mfg. in Concord Ca. Steve is in the east. I was offered a job in New York at Tiffany and Co. by a agent in Walnut Creek but my wife will not move so retired I am. I started in the trade in 1971. At the time I lived in a commune in Boring Or.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

I just thought of a picture I thought you would enjoy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Randy
    BBY Racing

That pic isn't working for me Randy.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    That pic isn't working for me Randy.
    what is wrong?
    Randy
    BBY Racing

I don't see a picture, maybe it didn't load up or it's just me?
    Nortavlag Bulc

I can see the picture and it looks big, really big. I'd guess its a HPR 233?

regards,
    Manuel

Damond called it a HRP CC it is 92 inches long.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

How did this build turn out Randy? It's such an awesome looking hull...I'd love to see how it ended up.

Just throwing my hat into the ring when it comes to prop selection, if it's still an issue: I would favor the 2 blade octura props over the 3 blade ABC or propshop. Not only would the 4516s load the setup pretty hard, but they produce a lot more lift. Since the drives on these start out at a negative setting (they can't get to neutral without mods), it will most definitely handle better with the octuras. Also, if it's not a SAW cat (which I doubt it is given the extremely nice paint job), a set of x442s will likely be perfect.

After going back over the beginning of the thread and recalling the motor wind, I would DEFINITELY not run those motors on 6s with 4516/3s. I would expect to see current as high as 400A+ with that setup.
    Personally I think those motors would be better suited for a 5s setup in this boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast