Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirit of Texas Drag Hydro

This build is onhold for a week or so.

The Government weather bureau has declared the next week+ a heat wave here in AU..
    Daily temps of 105f+(38c+) and today a wonderful 112f+(44c+)

0730 hrs here right now, and the thermometer says it's 33'c ( 90f+)

If I leave the air conditioning on inside my place so it's 25'c (75ish).. the power bill is 1/4 my daily income !
    Mains power rates in SA are just bloody outrageous !! !!!!!!
    Luckily the office has a smaller area, and a better atmosphere control system. B)

Adieu ( waving from the furnace doors )
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Quote Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
    This build is onhold for a week or so.

The Government weather bureau has declared the next week+ a heat wave here in AU..
    Daily temps of 105f+(38c+) and today a wonderful 112f+(44c+)

0730 hrs here right now, and the thermometer says it's 33'c ( 90f+)

If I leave the air conditioning on inside my place so it's 25'c (75ish).. the power bill is 1/4 my daily income !
    Mains power rates in SA are just bloody outrageous !! !!!!!!
    Luckily the office has a smaller area, and a better atmosphere control system. B)

Adieu ( waving from the furnace doors )
    Stay cool Doc,.stay cool.

Paint dry yet doc? HA! Are you using two pak? If so i have some groovy sparkly stuff that you could add to that ice white,(or clearcoat) Make it look real sexy!!
    Im confused..... no...wait...mabee im not?

No painting until the cowl arrives.
    ( where is it, I curiously ask its' maker ? )

Dust, heat and solvent happy arachnids in my shed delete the chance to do a decent paint job.
    When the cowl is here, I'll off to a pal's paint booth for some atomization !
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Just to make sure everything fitted before the strip+paint .. needs proper fitout still ..

Added support under deck for the safety loop plugs
    Here's the sacrificial cutting board from where the nylon block was cut

Here's what this is all about .. the nylon block support the 2 plugs through deck
    Last edited by drwayne; 01-06-2013 at 07:46 AM.

A decent day today for sanding

and undercoating..
    now drying in the sunshine, hanging on the Australian quintessential Hill's Hoist clothes line !

Nice shot !

Go doc!! Gotta love those iconic aussie " hills hoists" !! I see youve managed to find your way out of your refrigerator? did the little man who switches the light on and off kick you out for drinking his booze?

Quote Originally Posted by Richie the shipwright View Post
    Go doc!! Gotta love those iconic aussie " hills hoists" !! I see youve managed to find your way out of your refrigerator? did the little man who switches the light on and off kick you out for drinking his booze?
    I walked into Hill's warehouse just over a decade ago, to buy some satellite dish gear.
    On their display Tv was a movie of planes crashing into buildings in downtown USA, people running and screaming everywhere.
    We changed channels, it was on them all.
    Yes.... I was watching 911 as it unfolded. Eery stuff.

The factory has since closed.. like so many other national icons.. now made in China.

Any updates/paint to show off DocW? Sitting in the A/C now... No sweat!

No $1000+ paint jobs here... this baby is for driving with pals......... !
    After the spray putty job as above..
    time for rattle can gloss white ( on special ! ) $2.95AUD (~3.53US )

next a light W&D800 rub, then a couple coats to finish.

it does look rather swish in person.. wait till it cures and I'll post another.

Thumbs up

Needs a stripe of vegemite..... and a couple of coopers pale ale labels..... bugger off richie. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
    No $1000+ paint jobs here... this baby is for thrashing around !After the spray putty as above.. now for some rattle can gloss white ( on special ! ) $2.95AUD (~3.53US ) next a light W&D800 rub, then a couple coats to finish.
    It doesn't make sence to have a paint job thats worth more than the entire boat now does it. If I was building a 3500-4000 boat than it might make sence.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    It doesn't make sence to have a paint job thats worth more than the entire boat now does it. If I was building a 3500-4000 boat than it might make sence.
    yep, Ive seen ppl spend more on paint than some on complete boats, and then they're so obsessed their exorbitant paint they wont play with others.
    .. and yet the spraycan builds are frequently used more often, more places, more often with other boats in playful competition .. unexpected occasional taps at WOT between those hulls makes for more thrills.. and teaches you to drive ....

Go figure the senselessness of not enjoying the full potential of what you've built, mate.

I hear ya I had hulls flex a little on deck or where the two are joined and put a hairline split in the clearcoat. These boats cost me me several hundred dollars to paint and it sucks. In a 90 - 100 mph crash something has to give. I even have a hairline clear coat fracture in my recent hpr build. Its nothing structural, but it still sucks. The only plus is a good friend sprayed it for 175 $ for me. He said he can fix it for me with ease when I have him paint a new full Kevlar hatch for it.

I have had the equipment for some years now so my only investment is the cost of paint and time. If I don't do it myself I let others pay for it and get the boat cheap as they will never recover the cost of what they paid to have someone else do it.

A sample of my work ...

helmet.jpg

I repaired the helmet (filled in chips etc.) and did the BC, art, and 2K CC.
    Last edited by egneg; 01-09-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I used to do all my own painting but I really just got sick and tired of it so what my buddy paints a hull for it's not worth it to me to do it I have several spray guns and a very nice 2 stage compressor I can even use a spray booth if needed nothing beats the finish and durability of an automotive paint job

My best mate is a spray painter and I've painted a couple of my own cars in the booth before with 2 pac...
    Even with that experience under my belt I'd still choose spray cans. You can get a professional finish with a spray can and no-one would know the difference...

Not talking air brushing obviously!!! Just flat colour.

Different strokes for different folks, It all good, just what works best for each and supply's avail..
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I need a buddy that paints maybe then I won't get any nasty surprises of 1K paint jobs. Never tell a painter how much your boat cost! LOL only when he stuffs it up hehe...
    Visit www.customcfparts.com | Custom Boat Building | Custom Carbon Fiber Parts | Custom Graphics | LMT Premium Dealer | MGM Premium Dealer | YouTube | Facebook
    "Follow someone's footsteps and you will always be a step behind"

I have a few buds who professionally spray paint, another owns an auto paint shop.. so access and supply is no challenge.
    Ive sprayed cars, boats.. even a helicopter in camo !!!
    And lots&lots of rc stuff.
    My arachnid breeding facility(shed) houses compressor + spray gun gear. putty, touch+clear guns..
    Always a lark to create rainbow colored spiders .....

I spray puttied this from gun.

This Spirit of Texas build has a rattler's skin, 'coz it likely needs hull mods to be a good runner... touch ups are simple.
    No proven rc hull design here..this is scaled from original.

If it plays well, it'll have an appointment with the spray booth for 2pak, decals and clear..
    Or organ harvest, and a new hull pulled.
    If not this one, the next ( or next) will wear the scaled skin of the subject..

You're just showing off...........

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I have had the equipment for some years now so my only investment is the cost of paint and time. If I don't do it myself I let others pay for it and get the boat cheap as they will never recover the cost of what they paid to have someone else do it.

A sample of my work ...

helmet.jpg

I repaired the helmet (filled in chips etc.) and did the BC, art, and 2K CC.

I think chuck needs a working holiday..... hmmmm.... Adelaide South Australia mabee???......... FREE BEER!! (Just bring your airbrush) :-)

and while he's here a free Bundy or two in Qld. Nice work.

Forgot to add, looking nice Wayne...

It's raining here today .. bloody dribbly and cold for the next several days ( 22'c/70'f)

Come on down, Chuck.... it'd be like home !

COLD?22'C? C'mon It's clear and brisk here -4 today.. I'm glad I was able to send some of that rain down under for the

That's bad ass ! Letter eat !

Huh?
    Letter eat !

a great day for paint drying.

It's a jersey expression" letter eat"
    Let her eat!
    Meaning let her eat fuel!
    Or in this case let her eat voltage!
    In other words, full throttle!
    Like the build !!

Talking

Really peeeed off red back... (now+ white).... spider territory..... (pink back spider?) terrifying what they can do on paint fumes!!! Shed needs some carpet and curtains ... :-) bugger off richie.... lookin good wayne.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast