Thread: Challenger 21

Default Challenger 21

This is an Aeromarine Challenger 21 hull that I am building as a 'sports' boat rather than an out and out racer.

The hull I ordered has no stringers but has the plywood transom laminated in and is an ic hull because I wanted it as strong as possible so my grandson has less chance of doing real damage when the inevitable happens.

All I have done thus far is fit a strut and rudder. Eventually it will be getting a Leopard 1720kv 500 series outrunner and a 90 amp ESC. At present I am trying to work out if it would be better to mount the motor forward or towards the transom.

PB180420.jpg
    Sorry for the poor quality pic but my camera batteries were a tad flat.
    oh galar da - lle oedd i roi fy ngeiriadur Cymraeg

How's it coming along?

Hi Fella

I am sorry I have not responded sooner. At present I am still working some stuff out and have not got very far as yet. At present I am working on a plywood battery tray covered in carbon. Have also just got a 38mm prop for it.

Cool, just wanted to make sure your still around. No rush, take your time to make it right! There may be some guys interested in carbon over plywood battery trays so please post your effort there if you can. Have fun!

Well - finally found some time for the Challenger. Not much progress but have decided to mount the motor towards the transom and so have sorted out the stuffing tube. - pictures to follow.

Here is a picture of my latest affront to the noble art of model boat building:
    Stuffing tube is cut to length and bent to shape. 3/16 flex is cut to length and the motor and servo mounts have been tacked in place with superglue prior to being glassed in. The motor is not the one I will be running but was to hand so I used it to position the mount.
    PC150424.JPG

Leopard 500 series outrunner motor and 2 packs of 5000mah 3s lipos arrived today. Happy days!
    Now I have to decide on a speed controller.

Now I have the lipo packs I can crack on with the battery tray.

Looking good, I like the placement of the servo. I'm sure you already accounted for this but it's a good idea to leave room at the transom in case you need trim tabs and want to add turn fins. Have you
    Got any pictures of the whole boat, canopy on from a couple different angles so we can see what your building. I know I like pictures and more people are likely to stop and read. To many different boats out there to remember what they all look like! Keep us posted.

Thanks Fella.

I have indeed left room between the servo mount and the transom to allow for the fitting of trim tabs and turn fins if required,

Here are some pictures of the hull:

PC200425.JPGPC200427.JPGPC200426.JPG

Nice old school hull!

Here is the Leopard outrunner in situ:

I like outrunners a lot mainly because the throttling is good and also because of the outrunner sound. Am thinking about adding some carbon fibre rods as stringers alongside the motor mount to spread the load over a wider area.
    Just after Christmas I will be ordering some carbon cloth to coat the battery tray and the stuffing tube support.

PC220428.JPG