Thread: supervee 27 6s lipo

Default supervee 27 6s lipo

I am doing a repower and rebuild to the boat. I need recomendations for an esc and prop for it I already have a motor for it its a 6 pole 1600kv outrunner made for 6s I would like to keep the price for everything aroung $100 also to make it handle better and more smooth at speed turn fins,trim tabs,ect a motormount and servo mount to add to the list.

-Danny
    Last edited by dannybj26; 12-18-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    losi scte full carbon,Hpi baja 5te,Hb tcxx
    Enforcer gator full mod 30cc
    Rico 31

I would go with a seaking 180 esc, they've proven to be very reliable when the BEC is disconnected and you run either a receiver pack or ubec (over 5s). Prop not too sure hopefully someone will chime in, you have a link to the motor this will allow for people to give better advice? Would be nice to know how many amps it will pull with a 6s setup....

Personally I am wondering why you want to put 6s in that boat
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by dannybj26 View Post
    I am doing a repower and rebuild to the boat. I need recomendations for an esc and prop for it I already have a motor for it its a 6 pole 1600kv outrunner made for 6s I would like to keep the price for everything aroung $100 also to make it handle better and more smooth at speed turn fins,trim tabs,ect a motormount and servo mount to add to the list.

-Danny
    I agree with Jim. That boat is not able to handle anything on 6S. I had one on 5S w/ 1800kv and I couldn't keep it on the water. The hull as designed to go about 35-40 tops. The vee is too shallow, it has 100% strakes down the sides which create too much lift to hit any hi speeds and it will never corner well. I spent more time upside down waiting for it to drift back in then I did running. I rebuilt it with a flood chamber but it was still a pain in the arse.

i-NQzzjT2-M.jpg
    i-kN32QQk-M.jpg
    i-gwxnfTQ-M.jpg

then we made this.......
    i-srr7cM3-S.jpg

@mtbenjamin77,
    Very nice running boats! They seem just trimmed right and running FAST! Dig those LED lights!
    Even nicer rescue rig, man, with rig like that I won't mind all the rescue missions!

it was a fun little boat. It would blow over and fly 20 feet through the air, if it landed right side up I'd just take off and do it again. It was a real crowd pleaser. Lots of oooh's and aaaah's. I just got tired of recovering it. The turn fins broke off from wrecking it so many times, but I learned to make it hop at half throttle and do a 360 in the air. It was like freestyle rc boating. I have a picture of the boat in the air just over the undisturbed water as it was spinning. If you didn't know what was happening you'd think the boat was photoshop'd in.

here's the photo. this is after I put the flood chamber in.
    i-fct3zTD-X2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtbenjamin77; 12-19-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: bigger photo

That's cool, also like the white. I wanted a Sv27 but newer models came out and got a Pursuit instead ( used tho)
    I should stop here before someone gets upset that I hyjacked the thread!
    Back to the topic...

my supervee was pretty slow on 4s so I had the packs and said let me try 6s if it doesnt work out ill just run 4s,link to the motor
    http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...500-class.html

-Danny
    Rico 31

Something must be wrong with your setup, we have a number of SV's (4 or 5) running here, all bone stock by agreement, all of them get out of shape on the stock 4s setups, you never know if you're going to finish a heat. I honestly couldn't imagine the frustration running a faster SV, just not designed for much over 35-40 mph tops.
    Old design from back in the round battery days.
    The only thing we do is change props to something a little better than the stock one.
    I think you're be much better off with a DF 26 hull, some guys have gotten some crazy yet stable speeds out of them, just move all the SV hardware over, buy and esc and motor mount.
    Any way you look at it 100$ is not going to be enough, more like 200 if you decide to buy hardware and an esc.
    The motor you linked to is rated at 900 watts, on 6s a 120 amp esc would be enough, 900 watts / 22.2V is only 40.54 amps, you can draw double that easily with a 120 amp esc and still be safe.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

So a swordfish 120 would be fine ? I just need turn fins and trim tabs

-Danny
    Rico 31

Yep
    watts/volts gives you amperage so 900W/22.2V=40.54A, we generally pull a good bit more than the motors are rated for but even if you double it you're still only pulling 80 amps, 40 amps headroom plus the burst should be fine.
    I've regularly pulled averages of 110 amps on a swordfish 120, my favorite low amp esc, with a bit of extra waterproofing.
    Not the most choices for LVC cutoff voltages but I disable the LVC on all escs and time my runs.
    Can't wait to try a new data logging version, the logging would have to be pretty good for me to give up the Eagletree though, the ET software is really cool, and fun to play with!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

So does anyone have one for sale

-Danny
    Rico 31

By itself, on a calm pond, the sv can run in the 50 mpg range no problem. Also, with the right motor choice, 6s would be excellent. Less stress on the components, and better run times. Not to mention the extra weight will help it stay planted better.

6s is pushing the limits on any of those low voltage esc's. You might be asking for trouble. How about 5s for a little cushion?

I ran the ammo 2300kv in my SV.(bad choice) It ran really hot so I propped down which helped but it was too squirrely. In my case the SV seemed to run best around 40-45mph.

I want to run 6s because I already have the 2 3s packs that it will take and its more cost effective for me to run 6s than 5s

-Danny
    Rico 31

Quote Originally Posted by dannybj26 View Post
    I want to run 6s because I already have the 2 3s packs that it will take and its more cost effective for me to run 6s than 5s

-Danny
    Looking at your link for the motor, the specs require a 60 amp esc. You might have good results with a turnigy 80amp high voltage esc. The outrunner will likely pull less amps than the stock motor, and the hv esc. Will not be running at its max voltage on 6s. A prop in the 38-40mm range should give you plenty of speed without stressing the electronics. IMO.

For props go with a x437/3 or a x440/3. Since it sounds like you are gonna end up running 6s on that motor I would run the 437/3 personally, should be plenty fast, keep temps reasonable, and give good run time. It likes the x642 also but would probably be outa control on that 6 s set up it would however be perfect for that 1600 kv motor on 4 s

Ok so heres the list
    prop: 437/3
    esc:swordfish 120,HK HV80

ok now some turn fins and trim tabs and I would like to now which esc is better the swordfish 120 or the HK HV 80 anyone tried the HK

-Danny
    Rico 31

I run mine with Turnigy 1800 motor and 90 amp aircraft esc with added cooling plate. Added extra turn fin and run on 2 2s 4000 turnigy batteries in series. Will run even with MG cat. Try different props - I'm currently running 42mm carbon fiber. Also tried a metal prop, the stock prop makes the boat get really catty in anything bbut dead smooth water.

Thats why im using the 437/3

still anyone used a SF120 or the HK HV 80?

-Danny
    Rico 31

i've used the HK HV 80 before, in a super vee too. Wasn't on purpose though. I got it cause it was on a flash sale and didn't realize it wouldn't run on 4s until it got to my door. worked fine on 5s and the stock motor, back when it was a blue can. It was when i was pretty new to FE and i coated it in epoxy thinking that would water proof it but i guess it didn't cause it was fine until i flipped the SV one day and it took on water. I wasn't pushing it by any means and i didn't use it for that long but i would think as long as you coat it in corrosion x it would be just fine. I'm not familiar with amp draw on 6s set ups though. However it shouldn't be too high with the 437, just speculation here of course. SF 120 I'm not familiar with but i know my buddies who i sold my SV to run it with a 1600 kv outrunner 500 heli motor and a seaking 120 on 6s and they didn't even disable the BEC. That was spinning either a x437/3 or a 40x52 grim prop. It was too unstable to really squeeze the trigger for more then a second so that might have been why it survived.

Does anyone have a SF 120 for sale ? I need some good turnfins for it so I need recomendations for that too

-Danny
    Rico 31