Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st time Builders - Help request post

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ot-first-build

Link to my first build, pretty newb to the boats.
    Hoping somebody can link me to a stuffing pipe tutorial, preferably without Teflon, thanks !

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-Cracker-build

Have a question for my design/build. For the ~30mm prop I will be using, about how many watts should I look for motor wise to push up to about 30mph?

Anyone have any "how tos" or youtube links that covers adding CF/FG for dummies?

I don't have a link for my build yet as I have not started it. But I would like some advice on what other things I need to purchase to make the build easier. Special tools, clamps, etc., that make the build easier. Also where do you get your fiberglass sheets for reinforcing bulkheads and whatnot...The ones I saw yesterday at West Marine were super thick so I didn't want to go that way. Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
    I don't have a link for my build yet as I have not started it. But I would like some advice on what other things I need to purchase to make the build easier. Special tools, clamps, etc., that make the build easier. Also where do you get your fiberglass sheets for reinforcing bulkheads and whatnot...The ones I saw yesterday at West Marine were super thick so I didn't want to go that way. Thanks!!!!
    Do you have a couple sheets of glass around? you can make your own. CF, FG, whatever. I assume you just acquired epoxy. What are you building? It would help in recommendations.
    Shawn

OOPs: this is kinda old but if you still need help...

Hi
    best I can tell this is where i should be
    Ihave a 41" v Hall 12" wide was gas. and a 60 amp esc.
    can start here? what motor?to shaft to prop
    thinks for any help.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...quot-ebay-hull

Hi all,
    I'm trying to figure out which CF cloth to reinforce my hull with. A search of "Inlay" brings up an unmanageable list of hits. Perhaps a "prevailing wisdom" sticky that mods and trusted experience can add to might help?

That way a if a search of a broadly used term pulls a ton of hits and one of them is that 'newbie' thread we know to go there?

Just a thought.

Anyhow. Which CF cloth should I use?

Thoughts?

Which resin and hardener?

Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by hunterkz View Post
    First post here sorry if I did it incorrectly. My father has a JAE 21 fe with a neu 1509 2200kv, castle hydra 240a, running 5s to 8s in it. I want to build a JAE mini sprint to try to beat his boat when I go and visit him. This is just the two of us at a lake and not a sanctioned race. I don't want to spend too much so here is my build plans for now until I get some advice from you folks. JAE mini sprint kit, mystery 100a esc, turnigy 2850 3600kv on 3s or even 4s if I can fit it in there. Water cool everything with a high flow to try and keep it semi cool. I have no idea if I will even come close to his boat with this setup. His boat is running around 60mph. Please any advice would be great. Once again I am on a tight budget so cheap parts are all I can swing for now. The boat does not have to last for more than this trip. Thank you.
    I don't want to piss on your fireworks, but realistically, only by sabotaging your dad's boat. I have both boats and while both are great fun, they race in a different classes for a reason, the little mini just cant cope with the water conditions the big one can, I feel the mini sprint is pushing its limits in the mid 50s on glass water, I set mine up for low 50s for race water, but the wakes were small from other mini class boats, you can probably get one to run at 60 on glass, but running with a .21 making big boat wakes I doubt you will stay upright over 40ish. Honestly the cheapest way to competitively race a JAE.21 is with another JAE.21 use a purple turnigy XK3665 motor and a suppo 200A ESC, borrow one of your dads packs for it and it wont cost you all that much more than a minisprint.

If you still want to do a go fast minisprint, I would advise you to check out this thread as I put the measurements of the interior space in there so you can find out what will fit before buying, there are also several pretty extreme setups in it that could theoretically do 60 in ideal conditions. If you want to keep it stock a 2845 is the biggest motor you can fit. I have run mine on 28x36mm 4800kv 2s, 3000kv 3s and 4200 3s, 4200 3s was my low 50s sprint race setup with a detongued x435 prop. I am a bit of a Suppo ESC (inc the Mystery rebrand) fanboy, they may be a bit more of a gamble than big brand ESCs but at the low price it is well worth taking a punt IMO, just take the ratings with a pinch of salt, but the 100 should be plenty for the minisprint. As you are going for high speeds you will need to re-enforce the rudder and turn fin mountings further than the kit, other than that the kit is plenty strong enough.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 04-13-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I don't want to piss on your fireworks, but
    Paul, that was was 4.5 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by DanInWV View Post
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...quot-ebay-hull

Hi all,
    I'm trying to figure out which CF cloth to reinforce my hull with. A search of "Inlay" brings up an unmanageable list of hits. Perhaps a "prevailing wisdom" sticky that mods and trusted experience can add to might help?

That way a if a search of a broadly used term pulls a ton of hits and one of them is that 'newbie' thread we know to go there?

Just a thought.

Anyhow. Which CF cloth should I use?

Thoughts?

Which resin and hardener?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan, I buy my carbon fiber cloth from a seller on eBay. By no means am I suggesting its the best option out there, but I've used it on several builds and it has served me well. I use a 3K 2x2 cloth. They sell it in a variety of roll lengths and widths and include a resin that dries pretty clear. I've used their resin in the past and got satisfactory results with my first few jobs. I found it was easier to work with if I warmed it up to help thin it first. I've now switched to West System 105 resin and 207 hardener sold in metal cans with a convenient hand pump system that measures out the proper mix.

Regardless of the materials, the number one suggestion I have for you is surface prep. Sand, sand, and sand some more. Clean everything out then wipe down the surface with an alcohol or similar solvent. All of your efforts will be wasted if you end of with sections of your inlay that don't adhere to your hull once cured.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Perfect!

Hello,

I have been trying to find some build plans for a monohull Outerlimits style boat, but I can only find ready made hulls. I'm more interested in exploring the hullmaking procedure than buying a ready product, but I'm at a dead end. Any help is much appreciated!

Cool

You don?t say what size or power you are interested in. You could try here for kits, depending on what you want:

https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70

Or for some plans:

https://www.building-model-boats.com/rc-boat-plans.html

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the links!

I'm looking for something similar to the MHZ GTX Outerlimits, so in the 1.5 to 2m size range. Power is TBD

Edit: and specifically I want to build the hull myself
    Last edited by lufihengr; 04-08-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: more info

Default Need help

Hello everyone,
    Newbie here I have acquired a boat hull semi complete and I?m trying to figure out how to finish it any help would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Joey1079 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Newbie here I have acquired a boat hull semi complete and I?m trying to figure out how to finish it any help would be greatly appreciated
    Ok well let’s start with a pic of what you have. Any description will help. Pics of the parts and such would be beat. Let’s get you up and running.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Ok well let?s start with a pic of what you have. Any description will help. Pics of the parts and such would be beat. Let?s get you up and running.

Shawn
    I?m still trying to figure out how to include pics it?s a 57 inch v hull

Here is one pic I have I will get a few more

Ok so when you enter a reply, under the box which you enter the text into there will be a ?Go advanced? button? to the right side, then directly under Text box will be ?Manage attachments? button Which you click on, it then directs you to a page where you can load a pic from your phone. Top right for ?Add files? button. At the bottom of this screen you will find a ?insert in line? which you click on and then your pics will be in the reply to the thread. I sent screenshots for reference to the original thread as I cannot attach pics to a private message

54A193DA-D5A3-46B5-919C-E8FEC05A6CC5.jpg15A579A8-8F5E-47B4-8AB3-B3A870476A5F.jpg26F327C5-3714-457B-B85B-D3DA2CF32E23.jpg

Here are some screen shots for reference

06CE0FED-1852-4A20-B376-2A2A4B294714.jpg

And one last one here Joey

Hello to all. I am slowing putting together parts and accessories to complete the classic Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisher. Its an old flea market score form years ago and im finally at the point I want to get this thing wet. First thing I want to do is get the business end built. Motors, ESC's etc... The boat came with nothing in the hull, I have the correct running gear but im at an impasse with the dual brushless choice, batteries and ESC's for decent scale performance and reliability. I have experience with R/C aircraft and cars so I have a little knowledge about the electronics but not so much when it comes to swinging scale props in the water with a large boat (49") and how NOT to set it on fire while doing so!!! There has been some discussion on other forums about this particular subject but all lines have gone dead since 2017! Anyone out there that may have some updated news on successful set ups in this application, I would appreciate your help!

Thank you in advance, Justin

Hi. How do you know where to make the holes to install the hardware ?
    I am planing to build a delta force 35, but I do not know how to install the hardware ?

Help Guys! I am building a scratch version of the 16-1/2 Foot Lyman Outboard. It is 1/6 scale 33 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches tall. I purchased the OSE TFL B54210 outboard motor and found it way too short to reach the water if the engine is mounted at scale height. Is there any shaft-extension kits available? any other ideas?
    outboard.jpg

I adopted a partially built ML Boatworks boat. Need help verifying what kit it is so I can start doing research on what my next steps might be.

I am a total rookie here and pretty excited to take on this project.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...Rescue-Project

Hi everyone, I'm trying to convert a 55" nitro hydro to electric and would like some help with powering it without breaking the bank. Thanks!

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?63868-Miss-Enforcer-55-quot-Hydro-Electric-Conversion

Default Newbie here. Am I in the right place?

*Very* much beginner here with RC boats. I want to power a particular boat which doesn't currently have a motor (it's just the wood model). I was pretty excited to find this website, but after some looking I'm not sure I'm in the right place?

All you cats seem to be speed demons! And my ship doesn't look like any of your boats. What *I've* got is a 24" wood model of a Viking longship. I don't need it to go fast, I just want to be able to sail it in relatively calm water and have some steering ability.

Is adding a motor etc something this forum can advise me on? (Besides, you know, "just get a new ship" or "build a new one that already comes with a motor").

Or if this isn't the right place, maybe someone knows a forum that deals with models more like mine?

TIA for any advice.

Signed,
    Somewhat at Sea
    in Salem, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by zenmom View Post
    *Very* much beginner here with RC boats. I want to power a particular boat which doesn't currently have a motor (it's just the wood model). I was pretty excited to find this website, but after some looking I'm not sure I'm in the right place?

All you cats seem to be speed demons! And my ship doesn't look like any of your boats. What *I've* got is a 24" wood model of a Viking longship. I don't need it to go fast, I just want to be able to sail it in relatively calm water and have some steering ability.

Is adding a motor etc something this forum can advise me on? (Besides, you know, "just get a new ship" or "build a new one that already comes with a motor").

Or if this isn't the right place, maybe someone knows a forum that deals with models more like mine?

TIA for any advice.

Signed,
    Somewhat at Sea
    in Salem, Massachusetts
    I do not know of any scale vessel forums but there are a few groups on Facebook. I myself appreciate all forms of building and modifications. There would be stuff Thru Billing’s Boat products. Motor and Esc would be along the lines of a crawler truck I would think. Low RPM per volt supplied.

It just dawned on me that RCGroups has a section so ignore my previous comments and just go and join here: https://www.rcgroups.com/scale-boats-55/

Recently purchased a 95% complete Dumas Scarab 42? Hull kit. No hardware. I have a hull and a deck and no idea how to attach them. I?m guessing epoxy. What do I need to do inside before that step ? And links or videos I can watch. Of a similar boat or even a scarab ? Also Not sure how to add pictures

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12