Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1400mm Catamaran (Super Daytona) build.

Lodge a complaint on poor quality ... demand return and refund, perhaps ?

Ive not seen TFL hulls as bad as you claim, but Im sure they offload their seconds somewhere ( not saying FC get them .. )

Shipment is not their issue, that's the carrier .. and at Christmas period everything is on go-slow.

As a general rule, cheap hulls are not good, good hulls are not cheap.

sorry to hear of your issues..
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Note* This is an unfinished fiberglass product. If you are uncomfortable with priming/painting and sanding or want to complain about a scratch, this is NOT the product for you.

Well I guess when they say this in there product description they mean it. That sucks.

Post some pics twissted. I have one here from FC and it's pretty nice for the price. It's not HPR or MHZ quality at 1/3 the price of course, but it's not anything like what you seem to be describing.

Quote Originally Posted by twissted View Post
    Super Daytona Fightercatracing Review. What piece of sh*t!!! The seams down the side are wavy, and over lap in and out , has holes that go al the way threw and air pocket every were. The inside has large air pocket and some of the kevlar Matting is hanging with no resin in it at all. The botttem of the boat didn't conform to the mold and lokks like crap as well Kevin the owner is responible forthe packing and the slow shipping. I would never buy from this company again. These hulls are gunk. I will post the pictures soon.
    Post some pictures. I have bought hulls from them before and they were not top quality but really only need a little bit of work to get em right. But then again they are the best "on a budget" you can get.

There is a reason why European hulls are x3 more. They also seem to run better if setup correctly. Plus will handle a Crash at high speed!!! If you buy cheap, expect what you pay for but don't call it a "POS". It may be a nasty hull or whatever, but think about it, you bought it! And were thrilled it was under $500. You mentioned you wanted 100+ mph out of this.....?? Do you really think you we're buying the right stuff from the beginning???
    Visit www.customcfparts.com | Custom Boat Building | Custom Carbon Fiber Parts | Custom Graphics | LMT Premium Dealer | MGM Premium Dealer | YouTube | Facebook
    "Follow someone's footsteps and you will always be a step behind"

Default Fightercatracing 60" Super Daytona rhe hull review

Your right about you get what you pay for! I think that with a lot of work that I can make it nice. I added some 30 min resin to the seams of the hull, it was a filler and sealed the pin holes that I could see from the inside. I tried taking pictures of the two holes but it wouldn't take. I sanded it with my orbital sander with 120. It looks like it will turn out. I will start repairing the inside of the hull today. I started making cardboard patterns for the motors mounts as well as the hull bracing that will happen int he front and the sides. I thought of making custom mounts for the stingers and also the drive tube mounts will be custom. I found this build some where and I liked it. I will try my hand at some work like this as well. I think the battery mounts will be the prefab pieces. I have some more pictures to show but the camera is at home and I'm at work.
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

Why you showing a picture of a HPR?.. It's nothing like what you got there.. Spend x3 more and you can have one.
    Visit www.customcfparts.com | Custom Boat Building | Custom Carbon Fiber Parts | Custom Graphics | LMT Premium Dealer | MGM Premium Dealer | YouTube | Facebook
    "Follow someone's footsteps and you will always be a step behind"

I would like to see a pic of this hull, I have gotton 4 hulls from them, FC, and theres nothing wrong with them, infact the the seams, between the two halves are not bad at all, why post a pic, if its not the boat we are talking about?

Your right about you get what you pay for! I think that with a lot of work that I can make it nice. I added some 30 min resin to the seams of the hull, it was a filler and sealed the pin holes that I could see from the inside. I tried taking pictures of the two holes but it wouldn't take. I sanded it with my orbital sander with 120. It looks like it will turn out. I will start repairing the inside of the hull today. I started making cardboard patterns for the motors mounts as well as the hull bracing that will happen int he front and the sides. I thought of making custom mounts for the stingers and also the drive tube mounts will be custom. I found this build some where and I liked it. I will try my hand at some work like this as well. I think the battery mounts will be the prefab pieces. I have some more pictures to show but the camera is at home and I'm at work.
    You prolly shoulda asked for some advice on how to fix the damaged or flawed areas. Filling with 30 min epoxy and using an orbital w/ 120 prolly won't give you the best results and definitly is not a structural repair. Ask here, this is what the forum is for.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE6S View Post
    I would like to see a pic of this hull, I have gotton 4 hulls from them, FC, and theres nothing wrong with them, infact the the seams, between the two halves are not bad at all, why post a pic, if its not the boat we are talking about?
    I've had somewhere between 50 and 100 FC hulls and never had a "bad" one.
    I guessing this is a case of unrealistic expectations. If you are buying a hull expecting a "ready for paint" finish it's not going to happen. MHZ would be the closest and even those have a seam.
    Also twissted, the larger your hull gets, the more bodywork you are going to need to do to get it straight. If you are still planning on doing a hull larger than this one, expect it to need even more work than this one does.

Yep, Once again this thread gets more attention than some of the other actual builds with pics. I shoulda titled my build threads "250 mph $2000 boat build" I woulda got more hits, ha.

Twisted,

The best way to run a build thread, IMO, is to start with a picture of everything you have right now, not what you're gonna get. Then start aksing "whats the best way to do......" I feel bad cause everyone's kinda beatin up on ya. It's not becuase of what you're doing, it's cuz of the way you're going about sharing what you're doing. When you get all your parts start a new thread with a picture of everything and go from there. Just my 2 cent. I just don't want you to get turned off of model boating becuase everyone's giving you a hard time, but at this point ya kind've earned it by the route you have chosen. Now I'm prolly gonna get slammed for my opinion, but it's just that an opinion. I think you have a lot to give later down the line after you get some build experience and forum experience. Ya just gotta take the right steps to get there my friend. Now, go home layout everything YOU HAVE on a table and take a picture. Post it here and start building. Forget about how much everythging costs. we all know how much it all cost. We have access to all the same websites you do. Good luck my friend

Travis

Travis

I too get suckered into this, keep thinking I'm going to see what you are talking about. I'm not reading your posts because I want to see someone else's work, I would like to see what YOU say YOU are going to do. And am always thinking I'm going to gain some knowledge that may be of use to me or others in the future. But I'm sorry to say my fellow ose forum user I'm rather tired of being disappointed from your lack of delivering what you state your goals are. We are willing to give advise when asked and assist in your build for the altimate outcome to be a proud and knowledgable build but you just keep leading onto not leading into. Please adjust your thread to be boat building, posts of detailed boat build, accordingly or post into general questions.

by the way the picture of the fixed HPR cowl is from me. It was a cowl from my HPR06 Repsol, which was HPR quality but still just GFK as I wanted to use GPS inside. Stuffed it just around 80mph and the cowl completely broke into seperate parts.
    I fixed the hatch for another build but just for display purpose with the cockpit glasses and window frame, the boat got a paint job anyway. And for running there is another one.

And on my HPR the cowl was replaced with a full-cevlar version with honeycomb sandwhich core. Now its about 1/4" thick, that did the job so far.

BTW: Still waiting on pictures of that Daytona!

If you want something else: http://www.hpr-powerboats.com/products/hpr-135/
    He does have so many, he even sells them....

regards,
    Manuel

One suggestion is to go through and read some of the other build threads on this site, and other for that matter. And get a feel for how other people have run succesful build threads. you're more than welcome to view any of my build threads to get an idea, but definitely research a variety. Sometimes you gotta be a little political with your statements. And if someone suggests something for your build you don't have to follow exactly they say, just take they're advice and put your own little twist on it. Now I'm tired of talking the talk. lets see some build progress.

C'mon fellas, leave the man to his thread.
    If it is a source of aggravation for you please don't revisit it. Unsubscribe, ignore list, whatever it takes.

Thanks in advance.

Twisted, you got any pics to show the problems you've encountered with the hull? Everyone on here wants to help man, their is a wealth of information on this site that's been compiled from people trying/truing their own models and sharing experiences. Look at it this way. Chances are you won't get a refund for the hull as it is an unfinished fiberglass product, is cheap, etc etc. Why not build up the boat have fun making a reliable setup and then sell the hull in the summer for an HPR? I want a drambuie on ice, way more muscular looking hull, wider, better handling, but I saved money....as you did...by buying something less. You can and will have a fast boat and everyone here wants to help and see this boat move, at least I do. Good luck and get us some pictures. If this is your first big build you will screw up so better drill a wrong hole into a 400 dollar vs 700 dollar hull, you'll kick yourself less hard after.

Default FC Super Daytona Review

Here are some pictures to show the lack of quality that I was talking about. And to prove that It is my hull I took some pictures of the Green Dragon with it.

The river in the back ground is the Colimbia River in my back yard.
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

That's a pretty small seam dude. The other pic looks like some dry cloth that you could trim off with scissors...
    Here's a hull that is a comparable size/price range...I think your expectations are way off and it seems that this build may be a bit over your head:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...t=expresscraft

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Note* This is an unfinished fiberglass product. If you are uncomfortable with priming/painting and sanding or want to complain about a scratch, this is NOT the product for you.

Well I guess when they say this in there product description they mean it. That sucks.
    I rember some time ago that I talked to Ben from fc about a guy that bought a hull and it had a little scratch on it, he wanted his money back and was raising all kinds of poo. This statement was later added to the product description because of that. He also explained to the customer that ALL bare hulls NEED work, how much usually indicative of how much the hull costs. I personally don't think any complaints are warranted with your hull. I would like to see you prep the hull as I'm facing a similar task with a fantasim hull from fc also. I'm in no way saying anything derogatory as I'm following your build thread to gain some knowledge. And I appreciate that others voice in to give advise. Isn't this what the forum is for? So twisted, thank you for posting the pics of problematic areas and I am eager to see what and how this build progress. And want to see this thing run. Hope you obtain your triple digt speed, lots of reinforcements, as I'm heading into the same goal.

I shure would like to see Kevin talk his way out out this one! You should see the emails I'm getting. He knew I was posting this build and yet this is the best he can do.
    Not so funny sending crap to customers now! Is it? I will do some work to make this a nice hull and I will show the Air pockets of the ones that turn out. Most are on the inside of the hull. I can't really fix these, but I will add another coat of resin to the entire inside of the hull. I may add another layer of glass to the deck as well. I wonder If Kevin really is selling secounds? I would think he would post more than if your not into sanding, then this hull is not for you. Seems a little under handed!

It is what it is I guess. Adding more resin will only add weight not any strength. If you do "re coat" the inside you would be better off at least adding a light weight fiberglass cloth. For what your goals are , 100 + mph I think you would benefit by laying another layer of cf to the whole hull, reinforcing seams and still add those bulkheads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey guys keep sticking up for kevin. But you get a hull like this and lets see what tune your singing. You wanted pictures well here you are. I will get the air pockets as well. The sides are wavey as well you got a cure for that? This hull is crap And I have the pictures to pove it. Telling me how to fix a bad hull doesn't change the fact that Fightercat is selling bad hulls. And to make matters worsre he is sending bad emails like I'm the one that took him. He really is a piece of work. He didn't ask to see the damage of the hull. He just told me that I was a piece of work. I'm done with telling of how bad I've been treated by fightercat. I will do this build and hope to end up with something nice. As for fightercat I hope they go out of buisness.

Hey guys keep sticking up for kevin. But you get a hull like this and lets see what tune your singing. You wanted pictures well here you are. I will get the air pockets as well. The sides are wavey as well you got a cure for that? This hull is crap And I have the pictures to pove it. Telling me how to fix a bad hull doesn't change the fact that Fightercat is selling bad hulls. And to make matters worsre he is sending bad emails like I'm the one that took him. He really is a piece of work. He didn't ask to see the damage of the hull. He just told me that I was a piece of work. I'm done with telling of how bad I've been treated by fightercat. I will do this build and hope to end up with something nice. As for fightercat I hope they go out of buisness.
    Hey bud, I'm trying to help you and to gain some knowledge, who is sticking up for Kevin and how?

here is some of what I have started. I'm working on the mounting points of the hull. I have the rought cut of the motor mount and will mirror the mount for the other side. here are so0me pics. I also made the drive tubes. They are 12" long for now. I did some body work and cut from card board the stinger mounting plate. I will be cleaning up the motor mounts when the motors and stingers get here. I want to have most of the parts and set all of it in water so that I get a feel as to placment of the parts. I need help with this one. Balance is key. I have a good idea by looking at other boats. But I haven't seen a real formula.

Last edited by twissted; 12-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Forumla for your balance point (COG) is 33% from sponson transom

I shure would like to see Kevin talk his way out out this one! You should see the emails I'm getting. He knew I was posting this build and yet this is the best he can do.
    Not so funny sending crap to customers now! Is it? I will do some work to make this a nice hull and I will show the Air pockets of the ones that turn out. Most are on the inside of the hull. I can't really fix these, but I will add another coat of resin to the entire inside of the hull. I may add another layer of glass to the deck as well. I wonder If Kevin really is selling secounds? I would think he would post more than if your not into sanding, then this hull is not for you. Seems a little under handed!
    Recoating the 'entire' inside the hull with 'resin' will destroy it.. it's EPOXY ..
    In either case, recoating will add weight, not strength.

Even the top build TFL hulls have blemishes.. it goes with the territory of cheap hulls.
    Yes, I know because Ive built quite a few ( research here at OSE for some those threads )

Were you running around screaming with your arms in the air whilst thinking what to type here ?
    Calm down !

Orbital sanders and your resin plans suggests you're either taking the pi$$, or really need to research and learn the building process.

As for Fightercat, they support a market that supports them.
    If you expect top dollar product, spend big !

All the best.
    DocW
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Rember this picture from above? well this one has boxes around some of the air pocket that I was complaining about.

Your right, again. I have 2 part epoxy that I'm using.
    I'm glad you said something about the adding weight. I will calm down and try to do this right. I will add key bracing and try to add strength with out adding to much weight. I'm sorry for acting out on this build but I'm getting emails from kevin that has me really pissed off. Sorry for that. If I knew what he was pulling I would never bought from him. I should have bought the Gennesis and been done with it.

Genesis and Daytona are the same hull, same build process.... different finishing out of the TFL factory.

Yes you made that clear to me and that is why I said it. I was trying to say that the service and quality would have benn better. If I was to do another 60 inch hull as a build I would have looked at Central rc or the Classone Skater both look like nice hulls and with out the mess! Next time!
    I plan on a 72" hull on my next boat. I really like the Skater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast