Thread: Survey for all the boat BUILDERS

Default Survey for all the boat BUILDERS

Ok so I would like to know If all the Builders who work with FRP parts, and do there own design of mounts, bulkheads, etc. Would be interested in starting a design/template cnc consortium. I purchased a CNC Router to cut all the carbon Fiber FRP part's I use for my builds, I know there are allot of other builders that also fab there own parts. The idea Is to start a design Consortium, take our hand made patterns, create cad files for the different hulls and their parts. Make the files avail to everyone. I would be willing to cut the parts on my machine. Understand I am not doing this for personal gain!!! Just trying to give back to a hobby that has given me so much pleasure and frustration the past 40 yrs...

Let me know your thoughts guys.

Lance Hedrick
    Top Gun 2011, "current problem" 88MPH. Top Gun 2014 "Marine One" 99 MPH. bet speed to date 125 MPH

I'm in. Not realizing early on that this would be an obsession, I didn't make templates at first. Only recently I started doing so. I'll be working on parts for another upcoming build, making templates along the way.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Joel great!! Hopefully others will chime in, Curently I have templates for MHZ Drambuie on ice, Hydro & Marine Dr Super evil II. I need to get them scaned in and converted to CAD. Working on all the CAD design now for my 73 MHZ CT cat, and next is my 94" MHZ CT cat.
    Top Gun 2011, "current problem" 88MPH. Top Gun 2014 "Marine One" 99 MPH. bet speed to date 125 MPH

I'll pitch in on this also. I'm going to mock everything up in cardboard first. And I think my buddy is going to transfer it to his cnc router. What ever files he makes of my cut outs. I'll post on here. Even thou the hull I'm building, I've only seen them in Europe. I'm sure someone here in the States has one, but I've never found anyone with one yet. I know Joel will be able to contribute a bunch on his build. I can see alot of guys building the same hull as him.

If I can get my scanner to "scan to scale" I have some Geico twin mounts and deck support. And the Komodo should anyone need them.Should be doing my Bling Rocket/Pursuit at some time this winter as well.

If anyone has some and a calipers and can accurately measure and toss dimensions onto them I can make up simple DWG/DXF files as my time permits.

Lance, are you able to cut wood also? Im working on a rather simple airboat that I think may turn out nice.
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

Right now have a issue with thickness so if it's less than 26in by 26 in by 5/8 thick yes .currently looking at up grade options so I can do 3d 5 in thick

Ok so far I think the general opinion is this is a good Idea. We are going to need a computer savy member to set us up with some sort of on-line file storage so we can Up-load and down-load the files. Im still in the beginner stages as far as knowledge in cad. I have see many cad programs out there, I do not know if they all work well with other programs. What I have seen is most all have the ability to import AI "adobe" and Corel files and convert them to the cad program and export to the cnc router in g code x-y-z. So it may be wise to have the storage data base using corel and/or adobe files. Even if a member does not wish to cnc his part he can download and print/cutout a pattern and transfer to the piece he wishes to cut.

We can use Googel Drive to save and share the files. I can set it up, it's free up to 5GB.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Interested in this idea guys.....

I already have a number of files with various bit and pieces (motor/servo supports, etc) that I am willing to share, all in Corel X5.
    We could also ask Steven if can provide the storage space...