Thread: Timinig on Swordfish Pro ESC

Default Timinig on Swordfish Pro ESC

I have encountered some problems with the timing on the Swordfish 120Pro esc. I was previously using a Seaking 120 esc on my Hydro 2S with a Neu motor, timing was set to 0° and had no problems, correct rpm, amp draw, no heating and had a great
    sound. Using the Swordfish with datalog at 0° timing the motor and ESC simply bench testing and a plane prop just to have light load had high temp for both ESC and motor, at 1/2 TH measured with tester 120 amp draw ( I never even get close to those amp draw running the boat with the Seaking), and the sound of the motor is like it stumbles a little, and even lower rpm.....??
    Any ideas .
    Any way to check if the ESC timing is really as programmed. How can it be that there are so many value differences between
    teh Seaking and the Swordfish, I can only think that either one of the ESC has the timing value not really set as we program it.
    In other words you think it's at O° timing beacause you read it on the programming card/PC card but the real value is different.
    Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I race mine on AUTO timining with my Nues, low timing is inefficent and causes heat in the motor.

Timing is dependent on the wind of the motor, a blanket statement that low timing is inefficient and causes heat is wrong. It all depends on the motor, to high a timing will cause just as many problems as too low a timing.
    What Neu are you running? D or Y wind? Each requires different timing.
    Also part throttle running will heat up things faster than full throttle.
    Bad solder joints will increase the resistance and can cause heat so check that all you joints are nice bright smooth and shiny, if the look grainy, dull or rough they are cold and will need to be redone.
    Could be a combination of things.
    What size boat? a 120 amp esc with a high KV Neu on 2s could be very close to the limit by the nature of the beast, remember when you drop your voltage you have to make up the difference with amperage. More current = more heat. A 60 amp 4s setup becomes a 120 amp setup on 2s.
    I know my 26" cat with a 4200kv lehner on 2s would pop a 120 amp esc, I was drawing 110 amps on 4s with a UL-1 motor and running just shy of 60mph. LOL don't want to damage my eagletree by drawing the amperage the lehner setup will pull, need to do the 300 amp mod for that!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?