Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 34" Mono by SpeedCraft Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    Thanks Doug. As you know I've had rotten luck with the P-Mono's. This one looks like a winner out of the box. Prepare to do battle in July..
    Well if your luck doesn't get better with this one we'll have to look at the common denominator.

You know what your doing Kent. I have no doubt that the D12 guys will have their hands full.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks Doug!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

so kent u got the green paint ready?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Sorry Kent, We outlawed green for FE's in the IMPBA. You must of missed the vote..

I think my luck is going to change on this one Doug. By far the best built P-Mono I have seen. I know you are not keen on the idea but I'm going to try the P-hydro motor in her and see how she does. Mostly due to economics. The P-Hydro is going to stay in the barn next year and I sold the 1521 a month ago. I decided I like the higher revving 1515 better than the 1521 so if the 1518 doesn't work out. I'll pick up another 1515.

Okay, Time to bring this puppy back to life. Boat is painted. Motor mount (Insane) installed as well as a platform for the ESC. Rudder servo will be mounted by the end of the week. Stinger and rudder bracket also mounted. How much rudder set back do I need (leading edge to transom)?? What are you guys using for trim tabs??

First test and tune in two weeks and I only have two of five boats ready to hit the water... Dooh!!

Yo bro...just taking a guess that Doug swiched out his hardware from the Rico to the Speedcraft...if so, that extended bracket I gave you would be the ticket (leading edge of rudder inline with the drive dog...fullers tabs (original tabs though, not extended like the Rico ..)

Smocktura M445... ; )
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Yes Mike that extended rudder bracket will bring the leading edge rudder back even with the drive dog.
    I used some old Fullers trim tabs but the guys used the small SpeedMaster tabs. Set the stinger and the tabs neutral, CG at 30% and go have some fun!

Post some pics.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks guys. I was a fan of the old Fuller Tabs but you cant find them any more so it looks like Speedmaster it is. Verify the SPDT-100's are the ones being used. They are 1 x 1.5 inches and are sold in packs of four (but we are only using two).

Kent I would of used the old rudder bracket you got for me but I have it on the JAE... plus the boat was pre drilled for the Speedmaster bracket which I think is slightly different. Thanks for the set up info. Will post some pics soon. With any luck she should be ready in a week and a half.

PS- Love the Avatar Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 03-24-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: oops

First test and tune in two weeks and I only have two of five boats ready to hit the water... Dooh!

Mike aren't you still one of Obama's finest? you must have a ton of time on your hands lol....oh ya that's terminal guys !!!!!!

Thanks guys. I was a fan of the old Fuller Tabs but you cant find them any more so it looks like Speedmaster it is. Verify the SPDT-100's are the ones being used. They are 1 x 1.5 inches and are sold in packs of four (but we are only using two).

Kent I would of used the old rudder bracket you got for me but I have it on the JAE... plus the boat was pre drilled for the Speedmaster bracket which I think is slightly different. Thanks for the set up info. Will post some pics soon. With any luck she should be ready in a week and a half.

PS- Love the Avatar Doug

Thanks Mike. I know it looks like there was going to be a collision but Rick found some right. LOL

Yes, those are the right tabs. Let me know if you can't find suitable stock to make the extension with and I'll round some up for you.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Doug, You already gave me a rudder extension when I was in Atlanta last year so I had no choice but to buy the boat... (not that getting my arse whipped by everyone in D13 last year had anything to do with it). LOL I already ordered the tabs. I noticed the holes Mike Drilled were pretty narrow so I figured they must be the ones.

Ron, I've been a tool for Reagan, Bush1, Clinton, Bush2, and Obama. 30 years of Federal Service on July 1....... I'm feeling old

I still got ya by a year and a half guess I was a tool just a bit longer lol guess toy boats kept us sane

Maidened the Speedcraft 34 yesterday. Great running boat. Set her up as Mr. Smock directed. Turned great with just a hint of chine walk. I turned the tabs down a quarter turn and she is ready to go. This is my forth P-Mono and the first time I was able to set one up to my liking running one pack. Looks like the 1518 will work out fine. I did about 6-7 laps with a 445. Temps were good and the packs came back right at 50%. Will post a few pics as soon as the rain stops and it dries out.

Nice! What servo are you using? Are you running a stinger or strut? What turn fins? Where is your cofg on this one? What are you having for dinner?...lol!!!

There is a green Rico out there that is gonna getcha...he,he!!

Cool bro...get some pics of her up!!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

I forget, was it that Finch guy that bought your Rico? I heard he is pretty good but I ain't skeered (as Robin would say).

Mike had the boat already made when I told him I wanted one so it was already pre-drilled for the Speedmaster hardware. I'm using my first stinger (on a FE mono). One funny thing that that had me scratching my head was the holes for the turn fin mounts. I had never seen that particular hole configuration. It all made sense when I got my trim tabs though because the tabs that the guys are using for this boat comes in packages of four but only two tabs are used. It turns out Mike uses the second set of trim tab supports as a turn fin mounts and drilled the transom as such. I just happened to have a set of OSE large large fins so I drilled them out for standard hardware and they worked out great. What I thought was a waste ended up saving me a few bucks. The boat handles great with the Speedmaster mini rudder. I couldn't imagine how my old P-mono would turn with one.

645mg on the servo, 30% on the COG, Trim tabs 1/4 turn below the bottom of the hull, motor 1518 1.5D, Castle Ice 240 w/whimpy Castle Cap Bank, prop Smocktura 445. Color Huff Racing Yellow on top (actually Klass Kote), white bottom, clear coat epoxy hatch. Now I don't have to post a pic. LOL

John Finch+my X-Rico P mono...betcha he's a better driver than me...HE,HE!

Nice...but what's for dinner?...Badda-Bing!

Hope you Cheryl and the boys are doing good bro!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

1518 huh? We'll see what you have in open water. I may have to spring one of those 4" cans of whoop --- and a 40.160 on my good friend LOL

Post some pics ya big weenie!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

We're doing good Kent. John turned 16 yesterday. I'm gonna have uncle Doug open a can of whoop ass on him in July. LOL

I didn't care for the 1521 Doug so I got rid of it and since I was building the big rigger this year, I took the 1518 out of the JAE to see how she performed. I don't think the 1518 is appreciably faster than the 1515 but we'll see how she does against the professor while heat racing. The S-Rigger came out really nice. Hope she runs good. We'll see in two weeks. Just waiting on props. I've had some crappy luck with my P-Mono's and I think this one will finally meet my expectations.

I think you have a winner with that SpeeeedCraft Chilli! They sure look nice...plus, if Uncle Doug is runnin' one...well...

Tell John I said Happy Birthday! 16!!! Wow! This is the brake, this is the gas...you wreck the car and it's you're @$$!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Tell John I said Happy Birthday please sir!! (root beer) lol
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

First run of the Speedcraft today in competition. All I have to say is WOW!! This is my forth P-Mono and has quickly become my favorite. Easy to set up, turns great and handles awesome in the wind and chop. The winds were blowing 15 plus down the race course today and I never felt I had to come off the throttle. Blew the doors of the other B and P Mono's. People were impressed!! Also the first boat I didn't find a need to put a pound of lead in to keep stable in race water. She aint the cheapest P-Mono out there, but worth every penny.

Doug has been riding my arse to get some pictures posted. I took some a few days ago and they came out like crap. The wife has the camera's this weekend, but I'll post some pic's later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Well if your luck doesn't get better with this one we'll have to look at the common denominator.
    I guess it safe to say now that it was the boats.

Congratulations Mike!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks Doug. If I didn't get my arse whipped in Atlanta so bad I would be driving the same boat. LOL

Any news out of Liz City?? Heard the weather last night reeked havoc.

I haven't heard anything out of E City since Fri.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

First run of the Speedcraft today in competition. All I have to say is WOW!! This is my forth P-Mono and has quickly become my favorite. Easy to set up, turns great and handles awesome in the wind and chop. The winds were blowing 15 plus down the race course today and I never felt I had to come off the throttle. Blew the doors of the other B and P Mono's. People were impressed!! Also the first boat I didn't find a need to put a pound of lead in to keep stable in race water. She aint the cheapest P-Mono out there, but worth every penny.

Doug has been riding my arse to get some pictures posted. I took some a few days ago and they came out like crap. The wife has the camera's this weekend, but I'll post some pic's later this week.
    Nice bro! Glad you have a great running P-mono! I knew it was the past mono's you had that were the culprit...I have seen you drive the heck out of that gas Vector plenty of times...congrats!

When you are rested up, shoot me an email about how the overall weekend went. Wish I was able to make it...: (...I miss my toy boat family...
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Thanks Guys. Had a nice weekend. Went from Hero to zero today. LOL Tagged a buoy in the third heat flipping the boat over. No problem still had a commanding point lead going into the final heat. In the final heat, 1/2 lap lead going into the fourth lap and the water that worked it's way into the receiver on previous heat reared it's ugly head. Dead in the water. Doooh!!! John Finch told me there would be days like this... LOL Ended up on the podium for all four of my classes and John took two firsts and missed a perfect score in P-Lim Hydro by one buoy hit. As for the Speedcraft. Still handled great all day. I think the buoy hit was just me getting used to her. On one end of the course I seem to have to give her a little more input to get her out of the turns. It may have been the winds or I may have to work on the turn fins a bit. I notice the fins I am using are larger than most Speedcrafts. I'm using the OSE large fins. I may try the mediums.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123